corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » lying on your references

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author lying on your references
Root

User status: Offline
23rd Jul 10 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went to see an employer today to work at a garage..
I left my last job on bad terms so have no/bad references.

I got along well with a manager there so put her down as one reference and the other..
well, I've always used previous jobs etc and never ended up getting a job in the end so I decided to use my dad as a reference. He has a business he runs and owns, so I changed his last name and said I worked there 6 months before being made redundant due to lack of money being made from it.

Anyone else done this and got a job from it?
Anyone got anything positive to contribute? (don't wanna hear you'll be arrested etc)
John

23rd Jul 10 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, never
Matt L

23rd Jul 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can get arrested/fined for doing that tbh.... (i have no idea if you can tbh).

never lied although almost used my aunty this time around as she has a different surname to me
Root

23rd Jul 10 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well nobody can get a job these days without references so I have to lie else I'll never end up landing a job
John

23rd Jul 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a reason you have no references at all, is that maybe an indication you'll probably end up leaving this one on bad terms?
nick_sri

23rd Jul 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have done in the past , used my neighbour as one
Hammer

23rd Jul 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
No, never

Root

23rd Jul 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Is there a reason you have no references at all, is that maybe an indication you'll probably end up leaving this one on bad terms?

If I wasn't interested in landing a permanent job, I wouldn't be applying, would I?

in my last job, the way they decided shifts was with a computer system, then they'd put the shifts on a notice board, they'd always make me work until midnight on the last day of the shift sheet. So without realising I'm in at 5am the next morning cus I don't check the next sheet.

They did it several times and stupidly, I worked them, after a while I got bored and said to the manager "stop doing it, i dont want to work it"

he'd go "well its too late to change it now" and say it's the computer that decides the shifts and I should check my shifts.

So I left with no notice.

I'm happy to work shifts, night time, anything. I've often worked 50+ hours there and it's only contracted to 21 hours or something like that, I've always been a good, hard worker. I got praised when working there with cards from the managers telling me what a good job I was doing etc.

So if I don't lie, I'll never land a job.
Limecat
Banned

23rd Jul 10 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most places won't give a bad reference nowadays simple to avoid any hassle.

Someone will come along and say it's illegal to give a bad reference which it definitely isn't but it has to be factual so more often than not they confirm little more than your start and finish date if it's an 'open' reference.

Getting into the realms of saying you had poor attendance etc gets very awkward as everything must be logged and justifiable.

Be wary of taking the piss too much, it's easy to trip someone up in an interview situation and if it ever came to light that you intentionally deceived upon your application it's grounds for dismissal be it a week, a year or a decade down the line.
FAZ
Premium Member

23rd Jul 10 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iirc you legally have to have 11 hours between shifts
Root

23rd Jul 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
Most places won't give a bad reference nowadays simple to avoid any hassle.

Someone will come along and say it's illegal to give a bad reference which it definitely isn't but it has to be factual so more often than not they confirm little more than your start and finish date if it's an 'open' reference.

Getting into the realms of saying you had poor attendance etc gets very awkward as everything must be logged and justifiable.

Be wary of taking the piss too much, it's easy to trip someone up in an interview situation and if it ever came to light that you intentionally deceived upon your application it's grounds for dismissal be it a week, a year or a decade down the line.

true but refusing to give a reference for someone is exactly the same as saying "it's gonna be a bad one".

I'm not taking the piss with lying, I know exactly what my dad does, where he goes, what temperature the van is at, what fish he sells etc etc. It's not relevant to the job I've gone for anyway but it's simply a reference...god, I hope I get the job
Root

23rd Jul 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FAZ

it's definately less than that, I think it's less than 8
Root

23rd Jul 10 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FAZ

iirc, it's legal for them to do it, if you accept it, but they cannot force you to work it.
I think it's 8 hours between shifts. But what they used to do where I worked was "split shifts" and this really fucked you over.

you'd work about 8 hours with 1x 15 minute break because they class it as 2 "split up shifts" to get around health & safety law on breaks.

Ridiculous or what?
Twiggy

23rd Jul 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was tempted to create a company at my address (New address so they dont have it on file) as ask for a reference to see what they say
gavin18787
Premium Member

23rd Jul 10 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can just give a personal reference can you not?

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
FAZ
Premium Member

23rd Jul 10 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im pretty sure my manager says its 11 hours, might just be mcdonalds though

i only have 1 reference, so if they ask for two, use the man over the road
Root

23rd Jul 10 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FAZ
im pretty sure my manager says its 11 hours, might just be mcdonalds though

i only have 1 reference, so if they ask for two, use the man over the road

I think, by law, it's 8. McDonald's policy must say 11 but of coarse they can't go lower than 8 and FORCE you to work it. You can deccline and I should have but I wanted to help my company and not leave them short, but after they repetitively did it...there's only so much lack of sleep you can take lol
Root

23rd Jul 10 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
you can just give a personal reference can you not?

for a job, can you really? I didn't know that...I thought they usually ask what type they want, work or character reference. Usually, I assume they want a work one. If you're right, maybe I'll just start using people and it'll be a lot easier to get a job..
Graham88

23rd Jul 10 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FAZ

Correct
Root

23rd Jul 10 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeah, just read it up. It is in fact 11 hours..

Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
24th Jul 10 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The correct thing to do would have been to not have worked the shift but serve the notice. Regardless, a bad reference (although they can only state the facts) is preferably to being found out for a made-up one.

That said - the likelihood of being found out is low.
Eck
Premium Member

24th Jul 10 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Ian said, could you not have told them you're resigning as soon as your notice period is over? That's fucked you up a bit!
Cosmo

24th Jul 10 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really depends on your new possible employer. I know with some people we have interviewed we've not bothered contacting the references as liked them in the interview so much. Others we have rung them up and had a word with them.

So chances are we'd of caught them out when ringing, but not for the others!
Root

24th Jul 10 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah probably
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
24th Jul 10 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We caught a guy out because in casual conversation he didn't know what colour the chairs were in the common-room area of the department of the university from which he claimed to have his degree. Turns out he didn't have the degree.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » lying on your references 23 database queries in 0.0807610 seconds