corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Laptop buggered with trojans

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptop buggered with trojans
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
7th Sep 10 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi hopefully someone can help us out here.

Was checking e-mails yesterday on hotmail, went to delete one and the computer just ended up shitting itself. It came up saying 'googletoolbar.exe is infected, do you want to start your antivirus software?' - but when you click yes it launches another window in IE and it all starts over again. I try to get into AVG (just the free one you download off the site) and it's saying that that's infected as well , even when I go into system restore it doesn't let me telling me that's infected too.

I'm not clued up with all the technical aspects of computers, but it seems like C: drive is ok, it's just things like the control panel and programs in the toolbar (bottom right bit) that are affected by the looks of it. Basically, I think I'd be able to take all my pictures and music etc. off onto a disc and just re-format the whole thing if that's a possibility?

If anyone could tell me step by step how to fix this, or even tell me the best place to look it'd be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Neo

7th Sep 10 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can burn your stuff off to DVD's then do that, if not, get an external hdd or large capacity pen drive and copy the data over, be careful you dont copy any exe's or dodgy looking files.

Once your done, chuck the operating system disk in and boot up, quick format and reinstall. Install all your programs before connecting to the internet. If you can download a decent antivirus:

Avg
Avast

Also download MBAM

And finally download Macrium free edition. http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp

Once your happy with the way the laptop is, with all the software you want installed, run macrium and save the image it creates to dvd's or another external hdd, laptop etc

This way, if you ever have problems in the future, you can just reload this image and save shed loads of time.

Finally, use your back up dvd's/hdd/pendrive to copy your data back onto the laptop, however ensure you scan the media as soon as you connect it, you dont want the machine to get reinfected.

And you should be done
alan-g-w

7th Sep 10 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Absolutely spot on my man, thanks very much. I'll let you know how I get on.
Neo

7th Sep 10 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck
alan-g-w

7th Sep 10 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OS disk is proving a bit hard to find, what should I do if I can't find it? Would I be able to buy one from the likes of a computer repair shop?
Neo

7th Sep 10 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Um...unlikely, what OS ? If you have a code you could download from piratebay or somewhere, or if its one I have I could send you a disk. As long as it isnt an OEM install license you have ofc !

[Edited on 07-09-2010 by Neo]
alan-g-w

8th Sep 10 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm assuming by OEM you mean shop bought - if so, yes It's a Toshiba Satellite 450 if I'm correct. Bit of an update - it's now letting me do a system restore. I've chosen a date of more than a week ago since I was doing some downloading at the weekend which might have caused all this. If anyone's able to tell me, what are the chances that this is going to work?
Neo

8th Sep 10 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was a toshiba it was likely to be a toshiba branded OS disk, which unfortunately I don't have.

What you are doing may fix it, however I'd be more inclined to download mbam and install that on your laptop and set it to a full scan, run that a few times until you get no errors.

I used a program a while back, wasn't fond of it but it works bloody well, called regrun, download the trial, install it and then use its application blocker tool at start up. Anything that looks suspicious disable at start up, reboot the machine then run mbam, because the virus isn't allowed to run mbam can then find and delete it
alan-g-w

8th Sep 10 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No bother mate, thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

New Poll