corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Insurance Question
corsaaa_16v

User status: Offline
11th Sep 10 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a bit of a complicated question about insurance

I currently own a Mini Cooper S and am insured with NIG (I have DOV cover so can drive my car fully comp and any other car under "third party" cover

I am looking to sell my vehicle but the insurance policy I have is a special promotion policy for Minis only so I cant change to another vehicle as the main vehicle on the policy

I only have 2 months left on my policy so dont want to waste the 1 year NCB I will get at the end of this policy but the deal I have been offered on this other car is to good to pass up.

I cant afford to insure two vehicles (both high insurance groups for my age) so I was going to buy the other vehicle and own both until the Mini policy runs out.

Could I buy the new car and drive it home under my current policy on the DOV cover then just drive it occasionally on the DOV cover until my policy runs out on 15 November then sell my current car and get an individual policy for the new car. So in effect not insuring the new car on it's own but still being covered to drive it occasionally under DOV cover until my current policy runs out?

Thanks and sorry for the long winded thread
deano87

11th Sep 10 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Generally speaking the vehicle you're driving on DOV has to have insurance also, so I'm not sure.
redtom

11th Sep 10 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to drive other cars legally the other car has to be insured and registered to somebody not yourself.
Phillips_91

11th Sep 10 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesnt necesarrily have to be insured by somebody else but generally speaking cant be registered in your name... maybe register it in a family members name?
corsaaa_16v

12th Sep 10 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would it not be OK just for a month or are there insurance companies that provide short term cover for 1 month?
deano87

12th Sep 10 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Short term cover is possible if you're over 25 normally.
Jake

12th Sep 10 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there are, have a look on tempcover.co.uk/com and a few others on google
shaunmods
Premium Member

12th Sep 10 at 17:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd imagine this sort of thing varies slightly depending on the company. Check the terms and conditions of your policy mate. That will tell you whether or not you can drive it

[Edited on 12-09-2010 by shaunmods]
Colin

12th Sep 10 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wait 2 months its not long to wait?? If you miss out on the car there will be a better deal to be had, there always is!!
AlexW

12th Sep 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless its a trade policy, 99% of the time the car has to be insured before you can drive it 3rd party.
Toby
Premium Member

12th Sep 10 at 18:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just insure the other car for the two months then cancel the policy
LeeM

14th Sep 10 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a tricky one, a vehicle has to be insured to be used on a public highway. Technically the vehicle won't be insured only you will so you'll be driving legally but the vehicle could still be seized if u got pulled over.
Your policy will definately say you're only covered for third party damage as long as you aren't the registered keeper though

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance Question 22 database queries in 0.0082891 seconds