corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Upper body strength

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Upper body strength
jibjob

User status: Offline
22nd Sep 10 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well my army applications moving along quicker than expected and im lacking upper body strength for pull ups.

I can lift and carry a fair weight but cant seem to do many pull ups. What can i do to improve my strength and quickly? Its only the pull ups and press ups im struggling with so what other exercises can i do to improve it and quick!

Im doing weights on my arms every night, shoulders every 2 days and chest and abdomen every day.

Any help would be great!

Cheers
Eck
Premium Member

22nd Sep 10 at 16:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You shouldn't really be trying to build up your muscles every day. They need a bit of time to recover!
jibjob

22nd Sep 10 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know but im running out of time to get them in shape so ive got to put the hours in.

I thought i would have more time so i was doing a set routine with 2 days full rest a week and a day on arms, day on back, etc but with time running out now its all moved along quicker i need to get it done ASAP.

If i fail my fitness im out and i have to start all over again and i really dont want to have to wait and do it again!
Cavey

22nd Sep 10 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isnt it the rest that builds the muscle?

I'd guess working on your technique would be the best thing to do with having so little time?

Barring that radio 1 happily told the world that steroids are easily available the other day
ashleh

22nd Sep 10 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres no quick fix...when you work out, your body needs time to regenerate the muscle tissue you tear, in which the muscle grows.
scoob
Premium Member

22nd Sep 10 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do they do drug testing? you need to rest or your not going to get anywere, how many of each do you have to do
jibjob

22nd Sep 10 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt do steroids and even if i would ive got a drugs test so couldnt anyway.

I guess i'll just have to do more when i do work out but keep the rest days.

I have to do:
1.5 miles in 10 minutes 30 seconds or lower with 800m warm up
40 press ups in 2 mins
40 sit ups in 2 mins
10 pull ups - no real time limit
2x20litre jerry cans pick up and carry over 150m as many times as you can
bleep tests

and a few other bits and bobs.

I can do it all except the pull ups and press ups Even the jerry can walk i can do! So i dont understand why i cant even pull myself up!

[Edited on 22-09-2010 by jibjob]
jibjob

22nd Sep 10 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The more i do in the faster time the better grade i get though. The grades really matter as well.

Ive passed my theory tests with nearly full marks and dont want to let myself down with the fitness.

The grades work out as follows:
A - straight into a good job
B - will get the job i want but will take a while
C - will be waiting a very long time for a job
D - just go home

Its not marked just on fitness its attitude and leadership and everything else but if i want to excel in all areas!
mwg

22nd Sep 10 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only training I did for my army entrance test was a bit of running & even that I was well inside the time for. Maybe it's changed in the past 8 years or so cos I remember it being pretty basic fitness to be able to pass. I dint remember the 40 press ups in 2 mins part but remember the other bits so it must of changed.
jibjob

22nd Sep 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could be wrong but this was what I was told by a mate who went into the army about 2 years ago and it was mentioned today at my barb test but the numbers wernt.
mwg

22nd Sep 10 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The running & pull ups is right & so is the beep test but I just don't remember having to do so many press ups or sit ups but it is a lot of years since I did it. Im crap at press ups that's why I'm surprised it's that many
Recaro1

22nd Sep 10 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont do it every day. Everyones right, you need to let the muscle rest and grow. Your arms wont get any stronger if you dont atleast have 1 day rest.

How many pull ups and press ups can you do? How are you training - are you doing sets of pull ups and press ups?

You could use machines like the lat pulldown and do dropsets to help you build the muscle. You would be better to have 1 mad killer session and then rest allowing the muscle to grow.
jibjob

22nd Sep 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell me about it! I'm proper struggling to do a decent amount never mind against the clock! I think changing my technique miht help but it can only help so much
Laney

23rd Sep 10 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sack the weights right off for starters - you need muscle endurance, not max strength.

I used to do 100 pushups, 100 situps and 20 pullups in as fewer sets as possible - the idea being it doesn't matter how you do them just get them done.

Doing that 3 times a week will get them up to scratch pretty quickly!
A2H GO

23rd Sep 10 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Training arms every day will PREVENT you from doing more pullups. Apart from the back, the bicep is a big factor when doing pull ups. The bicep is the fastest recovering muscle in the body and when trained properly with the right diet, can be done twice a week but no more.

I wouldn't even bother isolating the biceps for what you need to achieve, just stick to compound exercises, squats, Deadlifts, shoulder press and bench press for overall strength. You'll naturally find you can do more pull ups by doing this. Un-weighted I manage around 3 sets of 30 wide grip pull ups.

[Edited on 23-09-2010 by A2H GO]
jibjob

23rd Sep 10 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads. I'll start doing the compound exercises a bit more then and focus on that a couple of days a week.

Ash I'm following the diet you sent me a while ago and its doing great so far its just the arms that don't seem to be affected.
I'll just keep going at it with the pull ups and push ups and try and do more and more everytimem
Ben J

24th Sep 10 at 06:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm the same. I'm quite strong. I can lift and carry etc etc no
probs but pull up and press up I'm hopeless!!!

Good luck with it anyway mate.
Laney

24th Sep 10 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Training arms every day will PREVENT you from doing more pullups. Apart from the back, the bicep is a big factor when doing pull ups. The bicep is the fastest recovering muscle in the body and when trained properly with the right diet, can be done twice a week but no more.

I wouldn't even bother isolating the biceps for what you need to achieve, just stick to compound exercises, squats, Deadlifts, shoulder press and bench press for overall strength. You'll naturally find you can do more pull ups by doing this. Un-weighted I manage around 3 sets of 30 wide grip pull ups.

Though I'm a massive fan of compound movements I'd argue that the best way to get good at pullups/pushups is to work on progressions rather than lifting weights. Bench pressing isn't doing pushups - its similar but its not the same - plus this is for reps not for 3/5/10.

If you want to get good at doing pushups - do pushups. Lots of them.

Don't be afraid to train when you're sore too. You're not doing this for size you're doing it for strength.
A2H GO

24th Sep 10 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
Cheers lads. I'll start doing the compound exercises a bit more then and focus on that a couple of days a week.

Ash I'm following the diet you sent me a while ago and its doing great so far its just the arms that don't seem to be affected.
I'll just keep going at it with the pull ups and push ups and try and do more and more everytimem

Cool man, just stick to it, you'll get there.
A2H GO

24th Sep 10 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laney
quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO

Though I'm a massive fan of compound movements I'd argue that the best way to get good at pullups/pushups is to work on progressions rather than lifting weights. Bench pressing isn't doing pushups - its similar but its not the same - plus this is for reps not for 3/5/10.

If you want to get good at doing pushups - do pushups. Lots of them.

Don't be afraid to train when you're sore too. You're not doing this for size you're doing it for strength.

Trouble is, if he's sore he needs to eat/rest to repair/build muscle.

Training whilst sore will prevent him from doing this which means he won't get any stronger.
Rob R

24th Sep 10 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of interest how much do you weigh? I can only echo what everyone else has said that hammering out a full blown workout everyday will only hamper your performance, not improve it.

If you can try and weight yourself down when doing pull ups as the extra resistance will help a great deal when it comes to only pulling your own bodyweight, even if it's only someone gentle holding your ankles when doing them.
jibjob

24th Sep 10 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for all the advice people I'll try all of it and see what works best!

I weigh 64.7 kg. Not a lot but also means I don't have a lot of muscle mass. I've seen a bit of an improvement over the past 2 days but its just not at a pace I'd like. I'll just keep at it and hopefully I'll get there.
Rob R

24th Sep 10 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People on roids wouldn't see fast paced results in 2 days mate! Unfortantley it's not one of those things that happens over night.

How many calories are you consuming a day?
jibjob

24th Sep 10 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't just mean the amount I can do its the effort it takes, the recovery period and everything else that's goes along with it. I improved my technique for both and managed to do a lot more! Which is a good sign.

I'm trying to control my calories and stick to a diet but its hard because of where I work.
A typical day would be:
8am 4 blocks of weetabix, skimmed milk, banana
10am banana
12pm tuna sandwich on brown bread
3pm an apple, banana, 2 tins of tuna
5pm 2 cups of white rice, 2 chicken breasts
8pm a couple of packs of crisps

I only drink water or fresh orange.

Its not always that but that's a rough average day.
Jake

24th Sep 10 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you going through 3 tins of tuna a day?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Upper body strength 23 database queries in 0.0169258 seconds