corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Need an opinion on this van

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Need an opinion on this van
mattk

User status: Offline
3rd Oct 10 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking of having a look at this, had my eye on it for a few weeks, its come down in price from £2100 Im thinking of going and starting at £1750 to pay around £1800, from the pic it looks immaculate, there were more pics on an ebay listing that was on a few weeks ago at the higher price

Im a bit bothered it looks old fasioned though and that it might give the wrong image for my company, I have been looking at Mk4`s for ages and it seems I can get one for £2k (my budget) but it will be tatty and I know for a fact they arnt anywhere near as reliable, although they are more refined to drive

the Mk3 is the 2.5 Di non turbo so will be totaly reliable parts are abundant and its spotless its lower milage than any Mk4 I will get too, I think I might get it and whack some clear indicators on it

it only needs to do me for 2 years, I just need to present a clean image

the Mk3
http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/bodytype/panel-van/bodytype/unspecified/bodytype/box-van/radius/50miles/stock-item-id/at8a62027f298589e801298700130b0ee7/advert

moved this from GC as its more of an image issue than the van its self
3CorsaMeal

3rd Oct 10 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like the "as new bodywork" certainly looks tidy in the pics, is one at work newer than that and has just rotted/rusty everywhere, being scrapped soon
Rich H

3rd Oct 10 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You coont, I just replied to your GC thread in the time you canned it!!

Why not sell the Punto to free up funds mate? It may be a bit of a bitter pill to swallow, but the van needs to be reliable and presentable; it's the first impression you make when you arrive at a clients, and needs to be reliable to ensure you can actually get to work!

When self employed, a car becomes a bit of a luxury and is far from a necessity - it's not as if you'll be without transport, you'll just have to use the van.

Does mean you'll have your NCB's from your car policy to use as well, making your van insurance cheaper.

Those Transits will be rusty - near enough guaranteed (I appreciate it says otherwise in the Ad, but it also lists it as a T plate and is a V plate in the photo!) and if you need a van that size, the sort of budget you're working to at present will buy you a high mileage dog

Have you tried going to auctions where BT / BG etc sell of their vans?

[Edited on 03-10-2010 by Rich H]
mattk

3rd Oct 10 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah I know they are fucking chronic for rust, Il be taking my mate who has one and uses it for call outs from his garage

its £300 cheaper to insure than a Mk4 too
mattk

3rd Oct 10 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rich, I really cant sell the car, I love it too much, its all paid for and doesnt cost me anything per month if Im not using it, the insurance is up on it in a fortnight so my 2 years no claims will be going on my van and the car will be going under a cover on the drive till Im established hopefuly early next year, I have plenty of dosh in savings accounts that I saved in the "good" years to buy the van so I dont have to sell the car, If push really does come to shove Il sell it to My GF who is doing her lessons at the mo

I might up my budget to £3k and get a decent Mk4, cant make my mind up

[Edited on 03-10-2010 by mattk]
Twiggy

3rd Oct 10 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think whittie is knocking some cheap vans out on here?

If a tradesman turned up in that i would not be impressed Especially how much plumbers charge!!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

3rd Oct 10 at 11:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks alright to me
mattk

3rd Oct 10 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres a nice 1967 MK1 on ebay that was used in heartbeat, might get that and get it propperly sign painted
dannymccann

3rd Oct 10 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This style of Transit looks so old and shit, I always see the pikeys and poles round here ragging the shit out of them, no doubt with a load of stolen clobber in the back.

Can you not do with a van the size Rich H has? Much more presentable...
mattk

3rd Oct 10 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nahh a Connect is too small, Im working out of a Fiat Doblo at the mo which is a tiny bit bigger and its fucking annoying how small it is, it needs to be able to fit a full bathroom suite or a full central heating kit and my tools
jamied

3rd Oct 10 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks crap, somebody who was flytipping on rogue traders had that van
harrisp

3rd Oct 10 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
Nahh a Connect is too small, Im working out of a Fiat Doblo at the mo which is a tiny bit bigger and its fucking annoying how small it is, it needs to be able to fit a full bathroom suite or a full central heating kit and my tools

You can get the next shape transit for only a little bit more, mk3s are awful to drive, horribly slow etc and I wouldnt be happy turning up to someones house in that.
Rich H

3rd Oct 10 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't mean this to sound rude at all, because it genuinely isn't intended this way, but if you're not prepared to sell your car (regardless of whether its paid off for or not) to inject some funds into your future in business, you're not in it enough to succeed.

You need to invest all necessary money into the business at the beginning (without skinting yourself obv) to make things work - then the luxuries can come after.

On a side note, plenty of plumbers work round my way in LWB Connects?

If you need a Transit that's bigger, splash some more cash ~£5-6k and get something semi decent - as I said in my last post, quite a few go to auction to get theirs these days it seems.
Jake

3rd Oct 10 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree with rich, make your money then buy a car in the future.
harrisp

3rd Oct 10 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H

On a side note, plenty of plumbers work round my way in LWB Connects?

One of the blokes I work with has got the a swb transit and it usually half empty even with my tools in ( just got a rack on the drivers side) . We have have bathroom suites delivered all the time biggest thing we ever have in the vans are boilers.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd Oct 10 at 12:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
This style of Transit looks so old and shit, I always see the pikeys
You think? No local pikeys around here would be seen in anything older than an 08, they've all got brand new double cab twin wheel tippers, most with the full aero kit. Only one that isn't a brand new Transit is a brand new Iveco 50C15.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd Oct 10 at 12:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ps. sell the Punto.

You can drive a big new Transit to your mates but you can't get home from a breakdown because you bought an old van in your Punto which is under a sheet at home.
Rich H

3rd Oct 10 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
ps. sell the Punto.

You can drive a big new Transit to your mates but you can't get home from a breakdown because you bought an old van in your Punto which is under a sheet at home.

chr15barn3s

3rd Oct 10 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does look clean but the fact it could rust through at any point would put me off. Also they are horrible to drive and awfully slow. I do think it looks a bit dated though and modern vans portray a much better company image imo.
dannymccann

3rd Oct 10 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
This style of Transit looks so old and shit, I always see the pikeys
You think? No local pikeys around here would be seen in anything older than an 08, they've all got brand new double cab twin wheel tippers, most with the full aero kit. Only one that isn't a brand new Transit is a brand new Iveco 50C15.

You make a good point tbh and thinking about it I agree with you, last I saw of them they had a 09 Trannie tipper
mattk

3rd Oct 10 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have £12k saved up that was my house deposit I really dont need to sell the car yet, I dont see the point in selling a car I like thats only worth £3.5k - £4k any way only to have to buy another car next year if all is going well

My heart is deffo in it, Ive spent too much on all the other shit I need so far to not be that interested

I think Im gonna up the budget to 3k and get a decent Mk4, insurance is the twat £1200 with my 2years NCB its only £800 for the cars renewal and what is even more annoying is all the EX BT ones that are by far the best are T300`s I can insure a T260 or a T280 for £1200 but a T300 is £1700 to insure the BT ones have solid flywheels too as requested by BT

and in relation to Pikeys, the ones up the road have 2 transit ST`s a white one and a blue one

[Edited on 03-10-2010 by mattk]
Bonney

3rd Oct 10 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In all honesty, I'd sell the car as there is no point in having it sat around. When things pick up you could go out and get something better and newer!
Andrew

3rd Oct 10 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In all honestly Matt, for the past year i've had a van and my own car. My car is very rare used and just losing money sat on the drive starting to rust away. Get a decent van i'd say - i don't really get the choice what piece of crap i get to drive.

[Edited on 03-10-2010 by Andrew]
mattk

3rd Oct 10 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car is staying, its sounds like Im not listning but I just dont see the point, Driving is my hobby which I am willing to put on hold till it is sensible to do it again, I enjoy the car, it doesnt cost me anything, I have had use of a van for the past year which I use for most of my day to day running round.

I have everything set up business wise, my insurances, competency and registration ect, I just want a van now, I could carry on using the doblo but its my dads and for the odd times he needs to use it these days it cant be sign written and magnets look shit

the debate really was Mk3 over Mk4, it might just be internet scare mongering but Im hearing some horrific stories about MK4 and 5 trannys

Cant really think of anyt other vans that fit the Bill for £3k could get a sprinter for that but they are frightening to insure for some reason
Twiggy

3rd Oct 10 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk

Cant really think of anyt other vans that fit the Bill for £3k could get a sprinter for that but they are frightening to insure for some reason

becasue they are fast!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Need an opinion on this van 22 database queries in 0.0885699 seconds