corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Future Petrol Warning (already in France)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Future Petrol Warning (already in France)
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
5th Oct 10 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sans Plomb 95-EIO

I expect most of you have already been aware of the 95-E10 biofuel addition to pumps in France, but I have to date had 14 e-mails from members asking for clarification. The petrol called '95-E10' is a mixture of regular unleaded fuel and ethanol. It is suitable for new cars, but can damage vehicles registered before the year 2000, motoring bodies have warned. The biofuel sits alongside the commonly used and similarly named unleaded Euro 95 in many garages across France and while a public awareness campaign in the country has avoided confusion amongst the French, British holidaymakers face the prospect of unwittingly picking the wrong pump. Motoring associations, including the RAC, warned those preparing to travel to France to be aware of the biofuel which is 90 per cent regular unleaded and 10 per cent ethanol.

Ethanol is highly corrosive and can wear away the metal fuel tanks common in cars registered before 2000, leading to leaks. Most new cars have plastic tanks and are therefore not affected by corrosion. The E10, which has been gradually distributed across stations in France since 1 April and which the French government has admitted is incompatible with 40 per cent of vehicles on the road, can damage engines of cars registered before the year 2000, according to Holland's national automobile association, the ANWB. Almost one third of cars on the roads in the UK today were registered before 2000. According to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders there are 9,579,000 cars out of 31,105,988 which pre-date the year 2000.

Filling up just a few tanks of the new biofuel may not lead to serious problems with pipes and connectors but regular use could leave long-lasting damage. A spokeswoman for the RAC said: "There is some concern that some, particularly older vehicles, might have problems - particularly materials compatibility i.e. flexible hoses leaking. If drivers can confuse diesel and petrol at the pumps, as they often do, then they could just as easily confuse ordinary unleaded with unleaded containing 10 per cent ethanol in France, so be more aware as to what is written on the pump. It is always clearly marked. Look for any signage, such as E10, or the letters 'bio' to guide you in making a choice of which fuel to use. The petrol's introduction follows an EU directive relating to the quality of fuels which states that all petrol must include between 5 and 10 per cent of ethanol by 2013.

When I use the various classics I have, I always tend to use 98 fuel anyway, as I have found that even the normal 95 fuel in France doesn't help with smooth running and as yet this isn't affected. In my area particularly and so far where I have travelled of late, I have not had a problem finding the right fuel. It may just take a bit of diligence to make sure you are using the correct pump.

[Edited on 05-10-2010 by Steve]
Fad

5th Oct 10 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Petrol already does contain ethanol, for its octane-boosting properties. Tescos 98 has a high content of ethanol and their 95 has at least 5% content.

Just a load of scaremongering.
Steve
Premium Member

5th Oct 10 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you know what you are talking about? or do you exist solely to undermine me on this website?

Do you want a fight? if so i can arrange that no problem
3CorsaMeal

5th Oct 10 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a plastic tank on my car, and replaced the connectors on fuel pipes due to corrosion already.

also i just use any old normal unleaded, don't get these people with the same car who only use super and pretend its better

mwg

5th Oct 10 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is why you should have a new modern diesel
FruitBooTeR

5th Oct 10 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is shell V Power still the highest RON here at the pumps? Is Tesco's 99 actually any good?
3CorsaMeal

5th Oct 10 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg

tbh its the people with them that you will find holidaying over there after arriving on the ferry in their modern diesels, they will view the saleman who sold it to them as a "friend" as they still believe they got a really good deal from their new found friend and believe its a better deal than the other hundreds of thousands of people who did exact same thing

sc0ott

5th Oct 10 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
i have a plastic tank on my car, and replaced the connectors on fuel pipes due to corrosion already.

also i just use any old normal unleaded, don't get these people with the same car who only use super and pretend its better

If push comes to shove I'll just powder coat my fuel pipes.

I tried v-power shell stuff as well. Waste of money imo. It maybe changes the figures on a RR but on the streets i noticed no difference. With the price and all I expected everyone to notice me more but people just look as if I use normal shell petrol.
3CorsaMeal

5th Oct 10 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
quote:

If push comes to shove I'll just powder coat my fuel pipes.

I tried v-power shell stuff as well. Waste of money imo. It maybe changes the figures on a RR but on the streets i noticed no difference. With the price and all I expected everyone to notice me more but people just look as if I use normal shell petrol.

yeah that did my head in, no one knows your running upper class petrol so its pointless

i noticed no difference on the road, am sure i worked it out as getting less miles too.

better off fitting an induction kit
FruitBooTeR

5th Oct 10 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but if it makes a difference on the rolling road and you get your car mapped to that petrol then it will run like shit on 95...

I wouldnt run a decent turbocharged car on 95 anyway..it would be okay if your just plodding along but if you like to boost it then your really going to risk getting det.
sc0ott

5th Oct 10 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get shit mpg through town anyway so i would rather spend it on the fuel save garbage.
3CorsaMeal

5th Oct 10 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR
Yes but if it makes a difference on the rolling road and you get your car mapped to that petrol then it will run like shit on 95...

I wouldnt run a decent turbocharged car on 95 anyway..it would be okay if your just plodding along but if you like to boost it then your really going to risk getting det.

i agree with that, but a lot of people aren't that clued up and drive things until they break
whitter45

5th Oct 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR
Is shell V Power still the highest RON here at the pumps? Is Tesco's 99 actually any good?

I found my TT used to run better on Tesco 99 rather than what used to be optimax

My mate runs his on VPower or Tesco 99 and says there is little difference other than the price

[Edited on 05-10-2010 by whitter45]
mwg

5th Oct 10 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

tbh its the people with them that you will find holidaying over there after arriving on the ferry in their modern diesels, they will view the saleman who sold it to them as a "friend" as they still believe they got a really good deal from their new found friend and believe its a better deal than the other hundreds of thousands of people who did exact same thing

I can get over 500 miles to a tank of fuel though
3CorsaMeal

5th Oct 10 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

its fun going to petrol station in a performance car though, people come up and ask you about it, then you can pull away and give it the beans, and people must be left there thinking "i wish i was that guy"
Ojc

User status: Online
5th Oct 10 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

T99 is Tescos fuel and is what my car is mapped to run on.

I used to fill our first Astra up on normal 95RON and it never felt as fast as the 'Ring edition.

Do you want a fucking fight?
whitter45

5th Oct 10 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

its fun going to petrol station in a performance car though, people come up and ask you about it, then you can pull away and give it the beans, and people must be left there thinking "i wish i was that guy"

how would you know - you drive a rot box
3CorsaMeal

5th Oct 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

I used to fill our first Astra up on normal 95RON and it never felt as fast as the 'Ring edition.

is your fuel tank plastic?
whitter45

5th Oct 10 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

is your fuel tank plastic?

who gives a fuck
Steve
Premium Member

5th Oct 10 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ROFL at Paul and Jim again
3CorsaMeal

5th Oct 10 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve this ignore function doesn't work, i can still see whitter45's posts

think he is still going on about that TT he had for a short while all those years ago
sc0ott

5th Oct 10 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chuck Norris has a fuel tank on his car made entirely of size 10 girls pants.
mwg

5th Oct 10 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love this
3CorsaMeal

5th Oct 10 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

how would you know - you drive a rot box

Even that was a bonus to me, as i got to spend 16miles in a recovery truck talking all about the corrado
3CorsaMeal

5th Oct 10 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i swear i even felt cool thinking of the people driving past and pointing at it on the back of truck, like we were off to drag race it or something equally manly

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Future Petrol Warning (already in France) 22 database queries in 0.0567400 seconds