corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Councils and relaying roads/pavements

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Councils and relaying roads/pavements
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Oct 10 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Our road was relayed recently by Tarmac who I assume are working for our local council. Although a day late, they relayed the whole road in 2 days.

About a couple of weeks ago the council themselves dug up the pavements and were really REALLY slow at sorting them out, today they are actually laying the pavements out.

I don't profess to know about roadworks but why is it that a private company took 2 days to complete relaying the whole road (which included digging it up with an earthmover thing) whereas the council took over 2 weeks to do the pavements?

I couldn't see anything different that the council did to what Tarmac did.

Do the council just do things really slowly to justify having money from the government or something?
DaveyLC

14th Oct 10 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a private company gets the contract they are penalised if they are late so they get the job down..

Council workers dont give a shit.
Sam
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The council literally spent about 4 hours a day doing not very much here, Tarmac worked from 7.30am until about 5ish on the two days
DaveyLC

14th Oct 10 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Their labour gets paid per/hour though so they just take their time
Sam
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might go outside and ask them if there's any jobs going
AndyKent

14th Oct 10 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Round our way the council don't employ their own roadworkers, everything is contracted.

Some jobs the contractors have to do on a fixed price (and hence do it quickly), other they do a time basis so take as long as they like.

That said, scrapeing off and relaying a road is a surprisingly easy/straightforward job.
Neo

14th Oct 10 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly the same as what happened by me, Monday morning they were setting up (8am ish), tuesday night (6pm) they had finished a 150 metre section. Was really impressed as it seems to take weeks normally.
JaffaTB

14th Oct 10 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a road near me has just been recovered, about time really as it was potholed and uneven, i used to go the long way round to avoid driving down it
Root

14th Oct 10 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

council workers tend to be slackers (not saying all), but with council work, it's identifying the problem, going back, writing essays about it and paperwork then ages later, finally getting round to sorting it out etc.

Maybe the council didn't have the same equipment as the road layers?
DaveyLC

14th Oct 10 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most people who work for local authorities/public sector are lazy fuckers.
Fonz
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
If a private company gets the contract they are penalised if they are late so they get the job down..

this si spot on.
My Dad works for Thames Water streetworks and they get massive penalties if work is delayed which is then passed onto the contractor, as such contractors are used to working quickly and to the deadline
oceansoul

14th Oct 10 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC

this si spot on.
My Dad works for Thames Water streetworks and they get massive penalties if work is delayed which is then passed onto the contractor, as such contractors are used to working quickly and to the deadline

I work for thames water. Its unrelated to this thread though.

I think the councils just like causing trouble so keep the road works there longer
Sam
Premium Member

14th Oct 10 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
Maybe the council didn't have the same equipment as the road layers?

Well the machinery Tarmac used was massive but the council had a few trucks and a JCB thing to dig up the pavement and chuck the old bits of pavement onto the trucks.

Same trucks today tipped the new stuff onto the pavements and they had mini ride-on rollers to smooth it all out.
Bonney

14th Oct 10 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same around here.

They started to dig the road up and remove some bollards on monday, Most they have done iss remove the old ones and place down a speed table.

All they do is turn up at 10, sit in the van do 5 minutes work then back in the van. They leave at about 3ish!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Councils and relaying roads/pavements 22 database queries in 0.0134530 seconds