corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » BMIbaby flights

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BMIbaby flights
Shell
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Oct 10 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had a look at booking some flights from Edinburgh to East Midlands in 3 weeks time.

The flights themselves are apparently free but they want...wait for it...£56 in taxes and charges?! That's a scam in itself, but what is more of a scam is that a month ago when I looked, flights were about £1.50 and the taxes and charges were £40. What exactly are these charges etc going towards? I'm not impressed in the slightest.

I know that probably sounds fairly cheap to some of you, but I'm a poor student and used to be able to get a return flight for about £20!

[Edited on 17-10-2010 by Shell]
Nath

17th Oct 10 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a con. I don't think I've ever had as advertised flights before.
Shell
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I may phone them up an asked for an itemised explanation of what the £56 is for exactly. If they say baggage, I'll only be taking on hand luggage. If they say check-in, it's possible to do it online these days. It's a load of baws.
Recaro1

17th Oct 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shell
What exactly are these charges etc going towards?

- administration fees
- airport departure tax (set by the airport)
- passenger service charge (set by the airport)
- security tax (set by the airport)
- fuel surcharge
- insurance

Different airport owners will charge different rates. Your flying from a BAA owned airport to a Manchester Airports Group owned one.
Shell
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Recaro1
quote:
What exactly are these charges etc going towards?

- administration fees
- airport departure tax (set by the airport)
- passenger service charge (set by the airport)
- security tax (set by the airport)
- fuel surcharge
- insurance

Different airport owners will charge different rates. Your flying from a BAA owned airport to a Manchester Airports Group owned one.

Does that make a difference somehow?

Why has it gone up by £16 in the last month, when surely it should be cheaper due to no flight price?

Con.
Recaro1

17th Oct 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd would ring up and ask for a breakdown. In a month it shouldnt have changed.

I agree its a con. They need to make money so advertise free flights - but then charge you for it anyway

Yes different owned airports charge different amounts. BAA are expensive, you fly from a european airport and its alot cheaper.

You can have a look here for Manchesters Airport "charges" http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/alldocs/D63CF5975D823F7F802576EF0058B222/$File/MAGFeesCharges.pdf

ed

17th Oct 10 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone knows this is how budget airlines operate. I don't understand how this still shocks or amazes people.
ed

17th Oct 10 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus it's hardly a scam when they advertise their fares like this:

Nath

17th Oct 10 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone want to buy my car for £1*?

*Plus £3k handling fee and me getting out of bed tax.
Jake

17th Oct 10 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the ad doesnt say anything about getting a seat on the plane, that will be extra
Shell
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Plus it's hardly a scam when they advertise their fares like this:

Let's try reading what I said! The £16 difference which means you actually are paying more is a con. I havent fliwn with them in about 3 years and wasn't aware they had become like this so not EVERYONE knows.
ed

17th Oct 10 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
£56 in taxes and charges?! That's a scam in itself

/
Shell
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 15:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh I meant robbery!
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More importantly what you coming down here for?
Shell
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dad lives in ilkeston mike!
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, you should drive down, visit me on the way
Mase
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I go on that exact flight quite regularly and the taxes are just the beginning. You need to pay £24 or something for hold luggage up to 18kg, then a further £14 to check in at the airport, which you must do anyway if your taking hold luggage, its crazy, especially when you actually check in using a machine and only hand in your luggage to the desk at east mids!

Mase
Shell
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 17:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are joking?!?! It's daylight robbery and totally not worth it anymore!!
Mase
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, its all extra, but if you can get away with hand luggage up to 10kg, you'll be alright.... But as I have to take a laptop etc. as hand luggage, I can't fit any clothes in!

Mase
Ben G

17th Oct 10 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the fact you've waited until 3 weeks before doesn't help.

prices always go up the closer you get to the departure date.

when i go up to scotland, i need to book at least a month, if not 2, in advance to get a decent price.
Shell
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 17:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The taxes etc go up as well?
Ben G

17th Oct 10 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they probably just put it up themselves. it's all a con. but you pay for the privilege of not sitting in a car in traffic for hours.
Shell
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 17:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to fly to dads 3/4 times a year and it was always the cheapest option. Just not the case anymore

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » BMIbaby flights 23 database queries in 0.0155602 seconds