corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Arden Blue Corsa 2.0 16v Turbo build

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Arden Blue Corsa 2.0 16v Turbo build
Partyvan
Banned

User status: Offline
21st Oct 10 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A couple of months back I spoke to Jamie Hastings about his Corsa LET for sale. I ended up buying the rolling shell from him. It's an X-reg Corsa B 3-dr, non-sunroof with 5-stud setup (rear discs), smoothed GSi kit, flush tailgate, colour coded handles and a few other nice touches. It's also got the chassis weld-in strengthening kit.

In anticipation I painted up some Cav Turbo fanblades I had lying around

I spent nearly 12 hours on the road going to pick it up. Including possibly the scariest road ever. Here's the car back at base.

Within a few days I had sourced enough parts and a donor car for the C20LET conversion. Here's a brand new rad going in.

F28 degreased, stripped, F20 speedo ring added and all painted silver

And mated to a rebuilt C20LET

The spec is 86.5mm on fresh Mahle pistons. New oil pump, glyco bearings, steel rods, ARP bolts, all new seals/gaskets etc. It's a fairly modest spec for now. It's also got a knife-edged tophat for improved flow, rebuilt K16 turbo, magnecore KV85's, MBC and a phase 2 EDS chipped ECU. It should be around 260bhp I'd imagine.

I also mocked up the Forge intercooler and Roose hoses prior to fitting anything, to make sure it was ok.

When I was happy with that I pikey'd on some welded steel brackets

Meanwhile Chris Astley sorted me a PAS conversion as these really aren't much fun without PAS

Which I mated to Tigra pipes. They are more or less a direct fit

I also decided to beef up the rear gearbox mount. I added some sections of Astra subframe to it, mainly curved pieces to spread the load across the mount and also pick up the three holes on the gearbox that face the bulkhead. It's pikey as hell but really strong.

Intercooler will be going black at some point, must buy some matt paint actually. Here it is all fitted

Engine in after 5 days from buying the shell. It wasn't too bad except some hassle with dropping the tie bars and using the ARB (ARB wouldn't go back on after)

The gear linkage is polybushed and a short shifter with metal linkage pin

Injectors are reconditioned Z20LET blues

After finding a coolant leak on startup I bought a full set of Roose coolant hoses

I also changed the rear water pipe to metal one

And added a painted cam cover/cambelt and Roose turbo coolant hoses

The covers are Rover Gunmetal, same as the wheels.

For the wiring I soldered Calibra car loom plugs onto the Corsa car loom, so the LET loom was then plug and play. There's no need to chop anything to be honest.

Body wise it's pretty near mint. There's stone chips on the front end and im not too happy with the cutout front bumper so that has to be sorted.

First up is a brand spanking new GSi bumper from Vauxhall, I bought 2 in the end so one will be up for sale.

I've got a new bonnet as well, which I was hoping to get louvred like this one at Cool Louvres

Sadly though cool louvres are moving premises so I wont be able to get that done so it will just be a standard bonnet resprayed along with new wings to hopefully leave it mint.

Interior wise I've fitted remote central locking, and some uprated door speakers. While the door cards were off I've dyed the fabric black to match the black leather I'm getting for the interior

The plan is to use heated Calibra front leather, with rear bench properly retrimmed to match

Here's the shelf I've also dyed black with 6x9s.

And the obligatory Tigra coin tray for the bit between the front seats

I've also run wiring for an amp and sub in the boot. It won't be anything too complex, just something to add some bass.

I've also sourced a pair of Vectra 5x110 15's for the track and strip, which I painted to match the fanblades and put Toyo R888's on them.

At some point I will be getting a quaife diff, probably this winter. Ideally I'd like to do a quarter mile in it before and after fitting a diff.

Suspension wise it's on FK coilovers (no pics?) and a set of polybushes are also waiting to go on

There you can see an Opel plug cover too, which might look out of place im not sure.

Brakes are 288mm V6 with braided lines and rear disc conversion.

Here's how it stands now. It starts, runs and drives... all in about 10 man-hours work. I didn't cut the bulkhead and I can fit the "turbo" cover back on.

Something else isn't getting much attention...

I'll hopefully be going to some events in this next year and taking the Calibra as well.

[Edited on 21-10-2010 by Partyvan]
Corsa_Scotty

21st Oct 10 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really nice car youve got their mate! Nice work

[Edited on 21-10-2010 by Corsa_Scotty]
swissxe

22nd Oct 10 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i want that
barney1.6sport

22nd Oct 10 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

those turbo rims looks quality!
looks spot on
Kieran
Premium Member

22nd Oct 10 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Front bumper how much they go for.

Nice mate looking gooood
connollygt30

22nd Oct 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give me a shout if your selling the opel cover please mate
flybikeslee

22nd Oct 10 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spot on that, playing chess whilst taking pics of car bits..how odd
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

22nd Oct 10 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blimey you dont hang around do you, great progress on this

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
mex

23rd Oct 10 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seen this in the flesh, and the calibra

very nice
chris1990smith

23rd Oct 10 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fell in love with this when i saw it the other day! got some quality builds going on!
Jamie_Hastings1

25th Oct 10 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took good care of it mate
Partyvan
Banned

1st Nov 10 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys

Here's the new AFM to turbo hose and 5-piece breather set.

I also fitted the tophat cover back on

I've also been busy on the interior. The standard front seats came out

Subframes were swapped onto black Calibra leather, it's just four bolts to swap them over.

And bolted in

Next the rears came out, and were laid out alongside the Calibra rears

The foam and base got separated

Then the push-button to release the seat forwards was moved in about 3", sorry for the bad pic

This can then be trimmed and re-stitched to suit

More on that when it's finished. I'm hoping to have the heater elements working as well. Anyone know if I just need to put 12v through it to work or does it need regulating? I might even fit Astra Mk4 adjustable temperature ones?

I also gave it a bit of a service with some new plugs and antifreeze.

Thats it for now!
Norcy91

1st Nov 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like you're doing a miles better job with the calibra rear seats than i've done with mine! How did you move the push button at the top of the frame? I've made a right mess with my seats
Partyvan
Banned

1st Nov 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Norcy91
Looks like you're doing a miles better job with the calibra rear seats than i've done with mine! How did you move the push button at the top of the frame? I've made a right mess with my seats

If you line them up side by side you'll see the cutout for the push button is a few inches off when you line up the leather, right? So what you do is flip the leather skin round 180 degrees.

This means
a) The existing hole in the leather will not be seen, as it's on a piece of leather that is excess
b) You just cut a new hole (stanley knife) where you want it

Norcy91

1st Nov 10 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh ok... that sort of makes sense to me, but i can't picture it at all
Partyvan
Banned

1st Nov 10 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll put some pics up when they are done!
Partyvan
Banned

6th Nov 10 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right with the back seats out I decided to tackle the rear speaker upgrade. The standard speakers aren't behind the door cards, they are in the boot panels.

I found the best way to tackle this was to undo the little torx bolts holding the panels in, then swing them out on the seatbelts as it saved unbolting them and yet gave enough space to work in

Here are the standard speakers removed

And the replacements

Autoleads make a plug and play kit that gives you the mounting bracket and wiring adapter to make it all nice and easy, £15 in Halfords or about a fiver on ebay!

All fitted back in...

Sadly the wiring didn't plug and play for some reason, so I just chopped the OE plug off and crimped on some terminals.

By the time I'd sat and listened to a few tracks through all 4 upgraded speakers the leather had been finished. Here's the uprights which im very happy with

Obviously being the Corsa frame and padding, they did bolt straight back in to the standard brackets after some poking of holes.

And all fitted in with the rear bench in place

As you can see some of the leather is a slightly different shape, this is down to the designs of the Calibra bench vs the Corsa bench. In simple terms, the Calibra has a lot more time and money spent on the upholstery to give it a sporty shape with thicker foam, whereas the Corsa is pretty shit by comparison. The same can be said for the rest of the car in fairness, it all feels pretty crap to be honest.

I think I might just use a complete Calibra rear bench and velcro it in place. There's no getting away from the fact it's better!

Anyway we managed to get the backs of the seats trimmed up to look standard

And fitted. I might dye these black as the grey looks a bit dirty.

The boot is now ready for an install which will be coming soon.

Finally I found some genuine Vauxhall floor mats to finish it off!

So there you go. That's the interior done with the exception of a few gadgets and some aftermarket front seats coming.

I took these pics when I was all finished

Now I'm going to focus on putting some miles on it before christmas to make sure everything is ok. I'll then be taking the engine and box out for a quaife diff and a few other bits.
Minty_Fresh

6th Nov 10 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very nice, just the rear end that lets it down imo mate, standard gsi rear bumper and a single tailpipe back box would finish it off
Partyvan
Banned

6th Nov 10 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think thats just a bad angle on the bumper but yeah I agree on the exhaust, I want a Magnex oval ideally
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

7th Nov 10 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very good progress mate, i quite like the kit on it and an oval exhaust would set it off a treat imo

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Partyvan
Banned

10th Dec 10 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the comments guys

I got the new bonnet, wings and GSi bumper back from the bodyshop today

The finish is excellent, the guy I use has a freshly built dupont booth with a few grands worth of filtering on it which makes all the difference in the finish.

However, I'm not that impressed with the above pictures, they look nothing like arden blue. "The best phone on the market" = FAIL

Even after playing with all the settings it wont come out right. Just take my word for it, it's arden blue, lol

Next up I've finally got hold of some Astra Coupe Edition 100 alloys (aka BBS RX).

The tyres came straight off as they were too big for the Corsa

They are now being refurbished in bright silver powdercoat, along with a set of 19" snowflakes for my Vectra. I was tempted to see if they'd do the wheels off my DTM but it didn't work out any cheaper as they'd have to be done white.

Last on the agenda is the ICE I've been collecting, the headunit and speakers are already in. I'm now planning a simple boot install with these Vibe 6x9s and sub

...and a matching Vibe amp to run them.

I've got f*ck all to do for the next few months so I'll be cracking on with this, starting with the boot floor build. In fact I might have a go tomorrow.

Thanks for reading

[Edited on 10-12-2010 by Partyvan]
Jamie_Hastings1

10th Dec 10 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to look perfect Ben,wish i kept it and finished it off but my head was up my arse lol. Just got a HTC HD myself,camera seems ok.
Partyvan
Banned

10th Dec 10 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie_Hastings1
Going to look perfect Ben,wish i kept it and finished it off but my head was up my arse lol. Just got a HTC HD myself,camera seems ok.

You've got first dibs when I sell
Jamie_Hastings1

10th Dec 10 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers,the money will be ready lol.
dalejones

10th Dec 10 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brilliant work mate! Looking really good!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Arden Blue Corsa 2.0 16v Turbo build 24 database queries in 0.0177400 seconds