corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Nova 1.6 on throttle bodies, track car project - * Santa Pod, Billing + 2 track days! *

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nova 1.6 on throttle bodies, track car project - * Santa Pod, Billing + 2 track days! *
M Sutton

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 10 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hiya, as some of you will know, i had my blue Corsa B for nearly 6 years but last year i decided to break it for parts.

Mainly because i didnt want to see someone else driving my baby I worked out i would get more for parts than if i sold it as a whole, plus its more fun

This is the car in question for those that dont know!

Right, on to the new project for the winter!
I bought it from my mate who had previously done the engine convertion himself but took the car off the road due to not having the time and money to work on it further.

It has an internally standard 1.6 engine, but has a few modifications done such as the throttle boddies, exhaust system and engine management that has been setup by Jamsport. They rolling roaded it at 155bhp, so the car goes quite well!

Im in the process of sorting the body work, which in fact, is in very good condition for its age. My mate who sold me the car has supplied me with two new front wings so they will be put on once ive done the inner wings. the rear arches have a small amount of rust so il be sorting that with abit of fibre glass and filler. Then il give the whole side of the car a coat of flame read to freshen it up

I have kept parts from my corsa, such as the coilovers, brakes, harnesses and bucket seats. My mate will be putting a functonal bonnet vent in for me to feed the throttle boddies. Other than that i plan to strip the interior and purchace a full weld in cage eventually when funds allow, and ive decided im going to paint that the same colour as my corsa, just to remember it by

Oh and my mates selling me some fully refurbed 15 inch wheels for cheap, that will have some Toyo R888s on. Im not planning to spend lots of money on this car, just want to make it a fun track car without going crazy with loads of trick parts.

Doing a few track days next year so i can get used to the car and then a trip to the 'ring' is on the cards.
Finally, heres some pictures

The mice have nibbled on the filter lol!

[Edited on 08-09-2013 by M Sutton]
Mark.W

22nd Oct 10 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks very clean indeed

Sandsy

22nd Oct 10 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has lots of potential that
jr

22nd Oct 10 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

came from essex to going bu the plate
corsadonk
Premium Member

23rd Oct 10 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like it could be fun.
Graeme
Premium Member

23rd Oct 10 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks cool. I'm only the look out for a road legal track/rally car for some road rally I've got into. Nova is my first choice. 1.4 or 1.6. How muh youvselling the corsa for?
Ingham
Banned

23rd Oct 10 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Son of a bitch that is stupidly clean!
vaux.dan

23rd Oct 10 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

christ thats immaculate
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Oct 10 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cracking fun this car, always loved it and it used to roll on my old compomotives
M Sutton

26th Oct 10 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the comments, will be updating it in a few weeks when i get chance to do abit more work on it
Robin
Premium Member

26th Oct 10 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let me know when you sell it. I call dibs.
M Sutton

26th Oct 10 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wont be for a good while yet, but il let you know when i do!
Mieran

27th Oct 10 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the Nova, looks a bit like my old one.

Loved that car, wish I never sold it

Linch

28th Oct 10 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks all good to me, if jamsport did the mapping and setting up of it, should be good to drive
M Sutton

9th Dec 10 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been busy with work but finally had chance to do some more to the nova

Removed the rear bumper which didnt take long! Very clean on the back panel which is good!

The main thing i have done is clean up the inner front arches and remove any rust and im pleased to say there wasnt much atall. Once i had done that a few coats of underseal have been applied to provide protection from the elements

The front panel was very clean but to stop chips and keep it protected i cleaned that up and applied some underseal to that while i was at it!

Next on the list of things to do is start repairing the rear arches which have started to corrode abit but are very good considering, so just going to fibre glass and fill them

Also have some new 15 inch track wheels and R888s, will get some pictures soon.

AlexW

9th Dec 10 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry to be a bit of a dick, but have you just gone over all of the old underseal? That is the worst thing you can do as novas tend to rust like mad behind the underseal, Mostly the top strut area, my mint shell went there.

And please dont fibreglass rust holes, Nova's deserved to be done properly and welded. I talk from experience having a Mk1 SR rot from underneath me.

At least the rear looks good, My J reg miami was also a damm good shell, keep up the work.
Firestate88

9th Dec 10 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mark is an experienced bodyworker/painter so he knows what he's doing, no need to worry

doing a good job Mark, do i get a passenger ride when its all done?
MarkSport

10th Dec 10 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is gonna be such a cool project.
M Sutton

13th Jan 11 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the comments, i understand that removing all the underseal is the best way, i did remove quite abit where there was rust but it is very good condition underneath so decided against going to crazy as its a track car afterall

I just want to get it all sealed for when it gets used!because it will be stripped out i want it to reduce road noise and protect the shell for a few more years to come

Cheers Robert, yeah come along to a track day one day mate!

Thanks MarkSport....

I have a new update got my freshly refurbed 15" BBS wheels and R888 tyres on, also got some tyre sealant that i brushed on the tyres to keep them fesh while there not getting used

Spent alot of time trimming the rear arches so theres plenty of room for the wider wheels and lower offset, also sorted the rust while i was there which wasnt too bad!

Filled the two holes in the bonnet because i have a vauxhall sticker instead of the round plastic one (weight saving lol). Then i cracked on with rubbing down and undersealing the rear wheel arches and rear panel, looks much better now!

Next thing to do is start on my new front wings, get those trial fitted and the prep work done, then its time for paint

Comments welcome

Ant

13th Jan 11 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What management you running?
M Sutton

13th Jan 11 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ant, its running DTA management!
AlexW

13th Jan 11 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do the spare wheel well black, It sticks out a bit under a MK2 bumper.

I see its had rear arches in the past, Was the inner lips right down to the outer lips? Just be careful with how you have trimmed the rear arches as they come apart and then let all the shit go up into the 1/4 panel and rot out like funk.

Don't mean to sound like a arsehole but just the stuff I done on mine, wanted it perfect lol.
Keep up the good work though
M Sutton

13th Jan 11 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AW06 - im doing the whole of the underneath of the car once i have access to the ramps so the wheel well will get done!

It hasnt had rear arches before! I trimmed the lips off to stop the new wheels and tyres catching and to get rid of the rust spots that were there. Dont worry,ive seam sealed any little gaps after i trimmed the arches
Mieran

13th Jan 11 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Needs a rear ARB
AlexW

13th Jan 11 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep an eye on it anyway

I presumed it had arches since the edges look wavey and the bottom corner dont look right but fair enough.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Nova 1.6 on throttle bodies, track car project - * Santa Pod, Billing + 2 track days! * 23 database queries in 0.0177102 seconds