corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » random dsg gearbox question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author random dsg gearbox question
Matt L

User status: Offline
30th Oct 10 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you have someone work some trickery on the management to make it purely manual with the paddles/gear stick instead of it still going into automatic mode?

drove a leon fr with dsg box the other night which just got me thinking about making it purely manual as the gear changes are a dam sight quicker then what i could do
DaveyLC

30th Oct 10 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It also knows when to change gear better than you do
CORSA NUT

30th Oct 10 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus not even one has ever 'Broken' as far as I know
richc

30th Oct 10 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought in auto mode (when giving it beans) it wasnt very good at all, never knew what gear it wanted to be in!

This was a in 3.2 TT, but when 'manually' changing the gears it was wikied!
Graham88

30th Oct 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's quick but it's boring IMO
Colin

30th Oct 10 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M3 SMG box is nicer.
Matt L

30th Oct 10 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
It's quick but it's boring IMO

yeah i think it would get a bit dull after the novely wore off, dont think i could ever go to an automatic id miss using my left foot
Robin
Premium Member

30th Oct 10 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT

I know of one which went through lack of maintenance, need to change the oil every 40k or they don't last
DaveyLC

30th Oct 10 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
I thought in auto mode (when giving it beans) it wasnt very good at all, never knew what gear it wanted to be in!

This was a in 3.2 TT, but when 'manually' changing the gears it was wikied!

There is a VW marketing video I saw.. They stuck some japanese guy who is supposed to have the rfastest reaction and gear change times in a standard manual golf and then stuck a random member of the public in the DSG version with exactly the same engine.. The DSG was quicker every time.
DaveyLC

30th Oct 10 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4HpD5K6Qws
Corsa_Sport21

30th Oct 10 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT

I know of one which went through lack of maintenance, need to change the oil every 40k or they don't last

Yep my boss's 1st one fuked up twice.Second time it happened when he was down in Brum.Car had to get transported home back up to Scotland.All fixed on warranty and had alot less than 40k on the clock.

Hes got another which has been fine so far.
neil h

30th Oct 10 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
can you have someone work some trickery on the management to make it purely manual with the paddles/gear stick instead of it still going into automatic mode?

There is a 'almost manual' mode, which only changed gear if the car thinks your in completely the wrong gear (e.g. bouncing off the rev limiter). Or atleast thats what i was told by our local seat dealer.
Mattb

31st Oct 10 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can put them in 'tiptronic' mode and then just use the paddles - and as said above it will change if it knows you are being an idiot - ie it will downshift if you are comming to a stop and wont leave it in 6th..

as for breaking - they do i have seen it a fair few times and replaced a few boxes myself - however it is more common for the mechatronics control unit in the box to fail
Jambo

31st Oct 10 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks pretty cool! I however like being in control of the car myself. Autos don't inspire confidence
mwg

31st Oct 10 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They don't let you have total control even when you put it in manual, you can't hit the rev limiter. There is at least one company now though that will reprogram it to give you total control, i.e. it won't over ride and change up or down for you when you put it in manual mode...

[Edited on 31-10-2010 by mwg]
Stu

31st Oct 10 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Semi auto box on my old Audi was awful, it totally let the car down! Yeah you could choose your gear to a degree if you were in the correct 2000rpm range, it was a joke, upshifted for you if you got to the limter, wouldnt let you down shift if you were going to be over 4000rpm in the gear below etc! At the end of the day its an auto box.....end of! If you like autos.......great, if you dont then get a manual!

Im not even that keen on the SMG but at least when its in manual mode it does nothing for you.......you can hit the limiter, you can down change all the way up to the limter in the gear below, you can be in 7th at 30mph etc etc

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » random dsg gearbox question 22 database queries in 0.5857210 seconds