corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Bolt removal

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bolt removal
therafiman

User status: Offline
30th Oct 10 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad was working on my car the other day (1.0 12V) and managed to badly damage the head of two of the following bolts:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/4550/throttlebodybolts.jpg

I now need to clean the throttle body and can't get to it. I bought a can of penetrating oil, but then remembered that these are not real bolts, but hollow threaded cylinders which go over the actual bolts, so the fluid would never reach the inside.

Does anyone have any idea how i can get them off? I don't want to take a drill to them just yet, because I don't have any replacements (vauxhall say 2 weeks to order, and i don't have enough posts for the classifieds wanted section )
jibjob

30th Oct 10 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Either hammer in a bigger torx piece or hammer in an alan key hex style piece. It should be enough to undo them then just go down to the scrap yard for replacements.
therafiman

30th Oct 10 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried that mate, when I say badly damaged i mean the torx heads have pretty much become circles. The torx key used in the first place was the right size, it opened one of the bolts, but the other two were so stiff they just got damaged (and my dad's attempts after that didn't help matters).

I'd need more turning force than there was when they were fine, and at the moment even hammering a bigger piece in there just shaves off more metal when I try and undo it. Any other ideas?
Phillips_91

30th Oct 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like drilling might be the only option mate
jibjob

30th Oct 10 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The other option is a big flat headed screwdriver but that won't give you much leverage.

Before drilling them out I'd run it to a garage as drilling them out can get messy if you don't do it perfectly straight.
therafiman

30th Oct 10 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking of drilling a very small hole through the top, spraying the oil in through it, then trying the flathead. If that fails then I guess maybe it is time for the garage.

Thanks for the advice
Martin W
Organiser: South East
Premium Member

30th Oct 10 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i agree, drill them out if you can, either that or possibly break it and replace the parts you've broke?
Walshyposse

1st Nov 10 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use a pair of side cutters to get a grip eiither side of the head and loosen them with them, work a treat
john_redtop

1st Nov 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just drill a small hole in it and use left hand thread blolt extractors very cheap off ebay mate

New Poll