corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Building/Quantity Surveyors

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Building/Quantity Surveyors
ChrisBoom

User status: Offline
8th Nov 10 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been trying to get an apprenticeship as a plumber for the past few years, but have had no luck at all in finding one. I've decided that if I don't get one by may then im going to give up, as Ill be 20 then and into adult apprenticeships, which are even more few and far between that the normal ones.

Anyway, was looking into going to university and studying as a surveyor, and probably moving into quantity surveying.

Anyone work in the industry, or doing the course at uni? Its still quite a long shot to get on the course as my grades arnt quite the entry requirements, but ill fire in an application anyway.
random dav
Premium Member

8th Nov 10 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would try and get a trainee qs job as some employers will help you through uni/college. There are 2 types of QS, one who goes out on-site and one that gets stuck in the office, I wanted to do the on-site one.

I went to Uni and did a Foundation degree that can be 'topped up' to a number of construction qualifications like QS, Project management, building services, etc. Its good because if you have a choice of degree at the end if you want to change your mind. I did this one http://www.uclan.ac.uk/information/courses/fdsc_construction.php

Then I went bulding/land surveying and CAD drawing, I prefered the 'proper' surveying side with GPS, etc as each day was different.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Bram

8th Nov 10 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm an assistant QS and currently studying for my degree in Quantity Surveying and Commercial Construction Management. In my 3rd year of 5.

It's a rewarding career financially but you definately need to have a head for numbers
bubble

8th Nov 10 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dad is a QS/Architect.

he struggled when he was younger, but now he has been worked under for past 15 years or so. and tbh, although i dont much see him cuz he is a cock, he has 2 houses, and a carrera, so must be financially rewarding.
ChrisBoom

8th Nov 10 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bram
It's a rewarding career financially but you definately need to have a head for numbers

Oh, that could be an issue, I was a bit shit at maths in school
mattk

8th Nov 10 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really wouldnt reccomend being a plumber, its shit
Mad Moe

8th Nov 10 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a BSc (Hons) In Quantity Surveying which my employer paid for and studied day release for 5 years, takes a hell of a lot of commitment to work and study at the same time but the rewards are well worth it in my opinion. As mentioned dont even bother is you arent good with figures. If you're interested in plumbing you may be better off looking into a Building Services qualification
Bram

8th Nov 10 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBoom
quote:

Oh, that could be an issue, I was a bit shit at maths in school

Well the clue is in the title QUANTITY surveyor???
AndyKent

8th Nov 10 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm training as a building surveyor. Left school at 16 and my employer put me through college and I'm mid-way through uni now.

Hating the Building Surveying part of my job ATM, probably not what you wanted to hear

I'd definitely say find an employer willing to pay your way through. I'm 22 and just bought my own place, whereas my old school mates have just finished uni with £25k+ debt. Makes me about £50k better off, although I'll still be studying for another couple of years whilst they just work.

[Edited on 08-11-2010 by AndyKent]
jrsteeve

8th Nov 10 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in year 3 of 5 (part time) building surveying. First 2 years got me an HNC in construction and property, you then go on to year 3 of the degree course and end up with 2 qualifications. I'm a self employed estate/letting agent and find it really interesting but you need to have an interest, some of it is boring shit! Doing it to give me more options in the future when my business expands.

Summary - only do it if you have a genuine interest.
Jules S
Premium Member

8th Nov 10 at 23:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm an assistant QS and currently studying for my degree in Quantity Surveying and Commercial Construction Management. In my 3rd year of 5.

Why's that then? Re: numbers

I'd say you need more of a leaning to contract law.
Mad Moe

9th Nov 10 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree that Contract Law constitutes a large part of the role of a Quantity Surveyor however Measurement is the key element of which you need a good head for figures.
BigSte

9th Nov 10 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm an accountant for a construction firm therefore do salaries etc......QS's are paid very well, and topped up with overtime they can earn as much as some lower level directors.

Good career from what i've seen
Fro

9th Nov 10 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think Fad has moved into this sort of thing but can't remember for sure.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Building/Quantity Surveyors 23 database queries in 0.5675199 seconds