corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Coilover top mounts?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Coilover top mounts?
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
11th Nov 10 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The corsa's been acting wierd for the last couple of weeks. Whenever I turn into a sharp corner/ roundabout and go to almost full lock the car swerves over to the side a bit. Even when I'm driving down a straight road if there's a small bump or hole in the surface the car swerves quite violently to one side.

I jacked it up the other day to find that the drivers' side wheel has quite a bit of play in it. The track rod end looks fine, it was a new bottom ball joint just the other week and the wheel/ hub nut were tight. It looks like the top mount's away - I'm currently running coilovers that look like these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/V-Maxx-Coilover-Kit-Vauxhall-Nova-Corsa-B-/260655581439?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb04888ff but I'm not sure if they're the exact same model.

What are my options if the top mount's away? Not too sure where to get a replacement, if you can that is. Cheers for any replies

[Edited on 11-11-2010 by alan-g-w]
Aleex

11th Nov 10 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if there cheapy ones, check the camber adjustment bolts are done up tight, this was my problem. used to be horrendous

[Edited on 11-11-2010 by Aleex]
alan-g-w

11th Nov 10 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a very good point mate, almost certain that they're tight though. I'll go and give them a wee wobble
AlexW

11th Nov 10 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top mounts most likely wouldn't cause a massive amount of movement, they would be practically falling off if its as bad as you say.

Id check for lose bolts if its not the slotted top hole like alex says.
alan-g-w

11th Nov 10 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just thinking about it, it's 'soft' play as if there's play in a bush or something. If it was something loose then it would feel like 'knocking' play if you know what I mean.

Also, when I do it while looking at the top mount there is about twice as much movement in the driver side than the passenger side.

Does anyone know what top mount they use?
AlexW

11th Nov 10 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They would use standard top mounts.
alan-g-w

11th Nov 10 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool mate, do you know if there's a bearing in it?
AlexW

11th Nov 10 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, the big black cup bit has a bearing. Although if there is that much movement, the rubber will be the shot bit. Rubber bit has the two studs iirc.
Toby
Premium Member

11th Nov 10 at 18:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine doesn't swerve all over but it is knocking on full lock on my KWs and I have a couple of topmounts to replace mine
alan-g-w

12th Nov 10 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye mate, when I got the car (almost 3 years ago now) whenever I took off there was a loud knock from the drivers' side. It actually made me change the CV but even upon doing that the noise didn't go away. The noise got less and less and I ended up just leaving it and not bothering, at that point there was no play in the top mount though. I'm thinking I'll get the bearing as well as the bush.

Cheers for all the help, going to hopefully tackle that today. I'll let you know how I get on.

New Poll