corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Clutch release bearing making selecting reverse difficult?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Clutch release bearing making selecting reverse difficult?
Mertin

User status: Offline
11th Nov 10 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clutch release bearing on the ibiza has been noisy when cold for a while, making a clunking noise.
Past few days when driving in traffic or using the clutch alot its been getting difficult to select reverse. Could this be caused by the clutch release bearing overheating or any other issues? Only seems to be when doing alot of manouvering so didnt think this would affect linkage
Paulo 16v

13th Nov 10 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sure its not a dual mass flywheel fault? Normally with release bearings you can hear them whirring slightly when they are worn into the pressure plate?

It doesn't sound like the linkage to me, and when you say 'clunking' noise', that to me says flywheel is at fault.
Mertin

14th Nov 10 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noise disappears when cars been driven a bit and when clutch is pressed though? And gets worse when doing alot of manouvering meaning bearing is getting hotter?
Mertin

14th Nov 10 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And it isnt a loud clunk, quite faint as if somethings turning and catching on something
Paulo 16v

14th Nov 10 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the noise disappears when you press the clutch it could still be the flywheel. The pressure your applying onto the clutch has like a 'clamping' effect and so will take up any free play in the flywheel that maybe present.

Hmm, tricky one really without hearing it for myself but after reading what you've just said i think you could be right. With using the clutch alot and it gets worse it does tend to sound like the release bearings worn into the pressure plate fingers. Either way its a box out job so if it was me, i'd get a clutch kit for it and take the box out, and if you do find the flywheels on its way out then get one while the box is out (rather than buying one before you do the job and it doesn't need it because they are not cheap!!)

Hope this helps,

Paul

Mertin

14th Nov 10 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye just thinking and pricing things just now and may replace the flywheel anyway while the box is off, no point doing things in halfs. Going uprated with the clutch too. Seems ok just now so il see how much worse it gets or maybe sell it

New Poll