corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » c20xe head gasket set and timing belt kits

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author c20xe head gasket set and timing belt kits
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
16th Nov 10 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went out to test the injectors on the XE yesterday morning, been suspecting that there's something wrong with them since I've been having an intermittent problem with them for some time now. It got even worse when I was out on Sunday night and it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders. I took the spark plugs out and noticed that they were quite black so that made me think it's overfuelling, made me quite happy because I thought I'd found the problem. But since I was there and since I had the plugs out I thought I'd do a compression test. To find that 3+4 had fuck all ended up stripping the head off it yesterday and now I'm looking at getting a head gasket set and a timing belt kit.

So far I've looked at this stuff on ebay:
Head gasket set

and

Timing belt kit

I've dealt with the guy before and his service is top notch. The stuff the last time was quite good but I'm just wondering if anyone's got any link to any sets that are of better value? Willing to pay a bit more if that stuff's going to be of better quality, I'm not dead sure on the stuff in the link.
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

16th Nov 10 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Change the water pump while your in about it all mate
alan-g-w

16th Nov 10 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good shout Archie. Where's best for the metal finned ones?
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

16th Nov 10 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TMS supplied me with all my parts, manager is a mate of mine and is into Vauxhalls so i always get the right parts at a fair price.
AlexW

16th Nov 10 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Autovaux may be worth a shout, (ring them!)

Find a powergrip belt as they are GM.
Only thing with the head gasket set, i prefer one that is actually named.

While you have the head off get the stem seals changed, and if you have the skills/know what your doing lap in the valves and maybe see about getting the head skimmed?

Ryan_G1

16th Nov 10 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As AW06 said, try Autovaux. I was like 43 quid for my timing belt kit from them a few months ago.

If your wanting to do the valve steam seals and lap the valves in but are unsure of how to do it. Gimme a shout, ill do it for a good price
alan-g-w

16th Nov 10 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers lads, I'll give Autovaux a ring.

Don't think I'll bother with the stem seals tbh, going to be quite an extra bit of work. I've taken the head off with the inlet, cams, TB and Ecotec plate still attached so I don't know if it's worth taking the cams out and fucking about with them.
Adam_B

16th Nov 10 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was me id definitly be getting it skimmed, especially if the gaskets blown between 3 + 4.
alan-g-w

16th Nov 10 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll need to stick a steel rule on it and see how flat it is, meant to do that today actually.

Anyone got anywhere else to get quotes on parts that they know is good?
alan-g-w

16th Nov 10 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might need to do rings as well actually, how much does the quality of them differ? They're on ebay ranging from £50-75, is there any advantage of going for the £75 Mahle ones over the £50 'Goetze' ones?
AlexW

16th Nov 10 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both of those makes are known so i guess there not that bad. If your doing rings, do the shell bearings too. There are some shell bearings listed on ebay under some fudgly title, U2U me if you want link.

[Edited on 16-11-2010 by AW06]
connollygt30

16th Nov 10 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got all my stuff from autovaux,cant beat them
alan-g-w

16th Nov 10 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AW06
Both of those makes are known so i guess there not that bad. If your doing rings, do the shell bearings too. There are some shell bearings listed on ebay under some fudgly title, U2U me if you want link.

[Edited on 16-11-2010 by AW06]

Aye right enough, the dad was saying this as well. I'm not sure if they even need done, is there any way to check without having to drop the sump?

autovaux is looking like the best place so far then.
AlexW

16th Nov 10 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope. Id do them anyway though.

Do it and you shouldnt have a issue with the engine in the future.
Corsa_Sport21

16th Nov 10 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didnt you just get another engine fitted??Has it been doing the same thing as the old engine??

I would be looking into what has caused 2 engines to fuk up aswell.
Ryan_G1

16th Nov 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What makes you want to change the rings? If there not fucked there isn't any point in doing them. Whereas the steam seals I'd do them. They go hard and don't seal properly. And when the heads off you may as well do them because they come in the head set
AlexW

16th Nov 10 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you plan to keep the engine id do the rings. Its a old engine that you dont fully know the history of. You would be mighty pissed off if you done all the top end and then had the rings go 10miles later.
connollygt30

16th Nov 10 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had my head fully rebuilt with new stem seals,a few new valves and guides where required,new core plugs and a pressure test and skim just to freshen up the chamber face...one time or no time brother

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » c20xe head gasket set and timing belt kits 22 database queries in 0.2647409 seconds