corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another what sports car thread - any ideas?!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another what sports car thread - any ideas?!
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
26th Nov 10 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had the skyline for sale now for a while and think I've found a buyer this weekend so I've been looking at other cars around the £16k mark. So far I've considered;
Elise
VX220 turbo
BMW Z4 3.0 Hardtop Coupé
BMW M3
TVR T350 (I was looking for something a bit easier on the wallet but I do love the look of these lol)
Evo VIII / IX

I don't like the S2000 and I did like the 350z but now that the 370z is out I wouldn't feel happy in a 350 cos I love the new one so much more and I can't afford it!
So, what would you say? I don't do all that many miles to be honest, the only reason I want a change form the Skyline is that I was looking for something a bit more grown up, but I don't want to settle for somethign that will be ridiculously slow in comparison!
harrisp

26th Nov 10 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TVR would be where my money is going, if you can afford it why not .

[Edited on 26-11-2010 by harrisp]
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

26th Nov 10 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From looking at that list, I'd have to ask what type of car you'd like:

Is reliability a big issue, or can you afford (both time and money) for things to go wrong?

One basic one is what type of car do you want? An Elise or VX is massively different to an Evo!
3CorsaMeal

26th Nov 10 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how has skyline ownership been?

have always wanted one, and would of got one instead of corrado if the insurance wasn't 4x as much
BarnshaW

26th Nov 10 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about an E39 M5 with lots of change?
mwg

26th Nov 10 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Evo is probably going to be up your street if you are coming from a Skyline. Unless you are looking for something that does it all with a bit more refinement and class then I would go for the M3.
drunkenfool

26th Nov 10 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
An Elise or VX is massively different to an Evo!

I know the list is quite varied but to be honest I just want something that is nice to look at and is fast (well, compared to the Skyline I just want something that isn't painfully slow!)
kennySRi

26th Nov 10 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the same situation with around the same budget. My top choice so far is a 911 996 with the GT3 kit, second to that would probably be a corvette c5.

The TVR stands out the most on your list but obviously reliability maybe an issue.
drunkenfool

26th Nov 10 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
Is reliability a big issue, or can you afford (both time and money) for things to go wrong?

I don't use the car for commuting or anything as I run my own business from home, but I have started saving for a house so I don't reallllly want huge running costs. The T350 does look like sex though
drunkenfool

26th Nov 10 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
how has skyline ownership been?

have always wanted one, and would of got one instead of corrado if the insurance wasn't 4x as much

It's been an amazing car to be honest. I bought it for £8k and had to spent just over £3k on it to get it up to standard (i.e. new gearbox, full remap, brand new twin plate clutch kit etc.). I was planning on keeping it long term but the business is going well and I feel like something a bit more 'grown up', not to mention that the credit crunch is meaning that there are now some very cheap standard skylines about, and with that comes a new generation of boy racers and the image that I wanted to get away from in the first place!
drunkenfool

26th Nov 10 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kennySRi
I'm in the same situation with around the same budget. My top choice so far is a 911 996 with the GT3 kit, second to that would probably be a corvette c5.

The TVR stands out the most on your list but obviously reliability maybe an issue.

I've looked at a few Porsches but my mum has ALWAYS wanted one and not got one because she has had to pay for things like me and my sister going to university etc, so I would feel a bit guilty if I bought her dream car before her when she's done so much for us.
I'd not considered the C5 before but I just had a quick look and they look very interesting - this one is very nice :-)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2238992.htm
drunkenfool

26th Nov 10 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do they do RHD ones?
kennySRi

26th Nov 10 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
quote:
Originally posted by kennySRi

I've looked at a few Porsches but my mum has ALWAYS wanted one and not got one because she has had to pay for things like me and my sister going to university etc, so I would feel a bit guilty if I bought her dream car before her when she's done so much for us.
I'd not considered the C5 before but I just had a quick look and they look very interesting - this one is very nice :-)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2238992.htm

That's understandable, the only reason why i havnt looked at TVRs is because my best mate wants one, so i would also feel guilty.

The corvette has always been one of my fave cars, im just not sure i will be happy with one seen as the C6 looks so much better. It's one of those things that i will decide once i get all my money together and buy whichever i want at the time. Sometimes they look ace, other times they look a bit bland, but im sure in real life they will be awesome.
kennySRi

26th Nov 10 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Do they do RHD ones?

I don't think they did, not with the C5 anyway. Most are imported from the states and they were all LHD afaik, think other countries had RHD though.
3CorsaMeal

26th Nov 10 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

out of your list i must admit i like the Z4 coupe

not very popular with the boyracers either
Colin

26th Nov 10 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll get a nice 2005 M3 for 16k, but if it needs anything its usually wallet crunching.....main reason I sold mine!
drunkenfool

26th Nov 10 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do love this 996 on Pistonheads;
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2272553.htm

I've got a test drive booked on Saturday in a Z4 Coupé but I thought that they were hardtop convertibles and apparently it's only from '09 on that have the folding roof which was quite disappointing!
kennySRi

26th Nov 10 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really a fan of the convertibles on the 996, look a bit odd when the roof is on and you cant get away with putting a big wing on the back
drunkenfool

26th Nov 10 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I quite like the idea of a convertible in the summer but I don't like the look of soft tops so it would have to be either a folding hard top or a removable hard top. The Z4 coupé would be perfect if it had the folding roof like the newer ones
kennySRi

26th Nov 10 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you looked at SL500/600s? Can get around an 02 reg for 15k. I wouldnt mind waiting for the SL55 AMGs to drop it's price.
Bobber123

26th Nov 10 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2268899.htm how about one of them with a few grand change...
always loved the RX7
drunkenfool

26th Nov 10 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd not considered a Merc either because I assumed that the ones in my price range were more of the dull hairdresser cars like the slk. The SL600 is nice and the SL55 is very nice, but I don't think that I'd get one of those for that price - I'm already thinkiing about a Noble M12 for my car after this one
drunkenfool

26th Nov 10 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was looking at the RX7s when I was shopping for the Skyline and I do like them, but I want something a bit more 'posh'
Bobber123

26th Nov 10 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or what about a honda nsx, get one for about 16k then tidy it up a bit?

[Edited on 26-11-2010 by Bobber123]
kennySRi

26th Nov 10 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'd not considered a Merc either because I assumed that the ones in my price range were more of the dull hairdresser cars like the slk. The SL600 is nice and the SL55 is very nice, but I don't think that I'd get one of those for that price - I'm already thinkiing about a Noble M12 for my car after this one

Im the same, the ones at that price look a bit boring or girly. The SL55 is a seriously nice car but still £10k too much

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another what sports car thread - any ideas?! 22 database queries in 0.1958380 seconds