corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » why having a 4x4 is so bad!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author why having a 4x4 is so bad!
chloe16v

User status: Offline
1st Dec 10 at 01:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

33 bus drivers have been strandard from the local depot that my partner works for, the only persons car that will get through the snow to get them back is my partners nissan navara, the works transit vans went to try to pick the drivers up and these also got stuck, so lesson, if you dont want to be driving all night to rescue people, dont buy a 4x4
brebaz

1st Dec 10 at 01:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or he could just tell them to get fucked ???
mike56gte

1st Dec 10 at 01:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would be charging a fiver a head
chloe16v

1st Dec 10 at 01:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by brebaz
or he could just tell them to get fucked ???

the company are sacking every driver at the drop of a hat for any reason they can find, they have to many staff so need excuses, plus these guys are his mates,

i would much rather have him home though where i know he is safe
chloe16v

1st Dec 10 at 01:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some of the drivers have took up home in strangers houses, one house has 3 drivers in it, another has 1 sleeping driver
Eck
Premium Member

1st Dec 10 at 02:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How odd
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
1st Dec 10 at 02:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did watch the thing on the news the other day when someone said people in 4x4s were out there delivering prescriptions to old people and I wondered where you sign up, that is something I would like to do.
chloe16v

1st Dec 10 at 02:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would go out an help but the kids are in bed
Robo C20Let

1st Dec 10 at 06:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol england gets a little bit of snow and ice and its goes to pot
deano87

1st Dec 10 at 06:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robo C20Let

flol there hasn't been a little bit in Scotland. Check the snow thread. By all accounts it looks pretty mental up there.
Robo C20Let

1st Dec 10 at 06:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no one cares about the scottish lol
if you want extreme weather check canada
chloe16v

1st Dec 10 at 06:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he is still out there trying to fetch the busses back into depot to say im pissed off at this point is an understatement

the busses was strandard for a reason, because they got stuck or crashed, the snow has gotten 10x worse since then so how does this company expect a couple of drivers to get these busses back now? he should have been home at 4.30 an im still sat up waiting for him

[Edited on 01-12-2010 by chloe16v]
harrisp

1st Dec 10 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I did watch the thing on the news the other day when someone said people in 4x4s were out there delivering prescriptions to old people and I wondered where you sign up, that is something I would like to do.

There was a network set up for this kind of thing, you sign up and basically they call you for all sort getting doctors to work recovering people etc, was a regional thing.
Nath

1st Dec 10 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

People always say this, then compare us to other SNOWY countries. I bet Canada and Iceland get all sorts of fun and games when it reaches 35c. I bet they don't say 'look at Dubai' they cope ok. All about funding and preparation. If our government developed a 'snow defence system' that cost £100m people would be calling for politicians heads.
Steve
Premium Member

1st Dec 10 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

under road heating tbf
mwg

1st Dec 10 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work with a Canadian and he reckons they dont even really clear the snow over there like they try to in our country, they just fit the appropriate winter/studded tyres, think its the law. So yes better prepared than us. It doesn't happen often enough or for long enough here to insist everyone fits studded tyres.

I dont think they grit the roads, they plough them and then you drive round on the little bit of snow thats left behind.

[Edited on 01-12-2010 by mwg]
Simon

1st Dec 10 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
under road heating tbf

Not actually that far away, I did a project at uni looking at a couple of technologies in roads. One which has crystals which when compacted create an electric current, testing at the moment involve series of these panels to generate electricity from cars driving over them. Another of the technologies involved conduction loops in the surface of the road which generate an electric field with the purpose of continually charging electric cars as they drive so they never need recharging (This is my very vague recognition of it all before John jumps in and corrects me )
cunningham

1st Dec 10 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
under road heating tbf

Not actually that far away, I did a project at uni looking at a couple of technologies in roads. One which has crystals which when compacted create an electric current, testing at the moment involve series of these panels to generate electricity from cars driving over them. Another of the technologies involved conduction loops in the surface of the road which generate an electric field with the purpose of continually charging electric cars as they drive so they never need recharging (This is my very vague recognition of it all before John jumps in and corrects me )

prob very expensive but you would think they would have this on airport runways
Hammer

1st Dec 10 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chloe16v
he is still out there trying to fetch the busses back into depot to say im pissed off at this point is an understatement

the busses was strandard for a reason, because they got stuck or crashed, the snow has gotten 10x worse since then so how does this company expect a couple of drivers to get these busses back now? he should have been home at 4.30 an im still sat up waiting for him

[Edited on 01-12-2010 by chloe16v]

You're pissed off your partner is helping people?
Jamie Walby

1st Dec 10 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Selfish IMO
RichR
Premium Member

1st Dec 10 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
quote:

flol there hasn't been a little bit in Scotland. Check the snow thread. By all accounts it looks pretty mental up there.

Robo, its a very blinkered view to think the whole country grinds to a halt - The problem in the UK is that because Snow, in general, is such a minor issue - it happens for maybe 1 week a year, we simply don't have the infrastructure. My sister lives in the Alps, My Dad lives between here and Scandanavia and I soend time with both. They're set up for bad weather as I assume Canada is because of the duration of time that bad weather hits for and its severity.

Because the snow lasts for such a duration, the areas have snow blowers, tracked gritters, chained shovels, dedicated snow ploughs and the roads are cleared daily. In the UK we have gritters which occassionally have a polugh fitted on the front; local farmers are paid to help clear the roads with tractors simply because for the 1 week a year we have the issue, its cheaper than investing in infrastructure to deal with it properly. This is a particularly long period of time for it to snow in the UK though and we're talking a week!! Canada, Scandanavia, The Alps and other areas would have months and months of snow.

In both Scandanavia and the Alps, they have a legal obligation to put winter tyres on as a minimum, to put that in perspective both me and Dad have X Type Jags, both are fwd, his has the winter wheels on now ready to go to the Alps in 2 weeks; He can get up and down our road; I can't. In the UK we don't have to change tyres, we don't have to have chains in the boot or even auto socks (which btw make an amazing difference even on shit tyres).

Not only that but having experience of driving in snow makes all the difference; people in the UK don't get practice, don't build experience. I'm fortunate to drive a few times a year in serious snow but given the option, I'd let my sister drive when I go over there because she has the experience - That's a lie actually, she's fucking mental so I'd drive anyway!! The scariest journey of my life was in the alps with her driving a Fiat van at a million miles an hour!!!

The impact of snow/bad weather is only as severe as the practical planning, experience and infrastructure makes it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » why having a 4x4 is so bad! 22 database queries in 0.0075419 seconds