corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rattle sounds coming from engine on my Astra...and the bank account becomes lower AGAIN

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rattle sounds coming from engine on my Astra...and the bank account becomes lower AGAIN
l15ter

User status: Offline
7th Dec 10 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I first got a rattle sound coming from my engine bay back in July, was found to be the poly v belt.
This didnt sort the fault out, and seven weeks later the car was back in again with the same fault along with another fault, losing coolant. The rattle sound was then caused by the cambelt which had only just gone over the GM 12 months guarantee. The second fault was caused by the £34 coolant cap. Both parts were replaced.
This never fixed the faults and the Astra was back in again yesterday for the faults, rattle sound from engine and loss of coolant as i was still using about 1 lite of coolant a month. The found that a coolant pipe was split at the back of the engine, so this part was replaced. The cause of the same rattle sound from the engine was now being caused air con compressor clutch to be rusted, all they done was cleaned and lubricated and charged £48 + VAT. However driving home and the rattle from the engine is still there. Where do I stand as i have paid all this money to sort this rattle out and they havent fixed. This will be the fourth time its going back for the same fault.
gez bay

7th Dec 10 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where does the rattle sound like its coming from in the engine bay? Engine itself or some other component?
l15ter

8th Dec 10 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a lose belt or pulley
t_benn_1

8th Dec 10 at 02:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vauxhall garage?

I'd be doing a lot of complaining
broster
Premium Member

8th Dec 10 at 07:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has the water pump been checked? Who is doing the work?
baza31

8th Dec 10 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even if vauxhall are doing the work they will still charge per hour to find, as you can imagine it could be alot. cant you pinpoint the area by opening bonnet and getting your head down there and listening?
AK

8th Dec 10 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

loose/bust pully/tensioner...
Water pump makes a horrible knock/groan if its seen better days

[Edited on 08-12-2010 by AK]
A2H GO

8th Dec 10 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a rattle from my 150 CDTi Astra, thought i'd leave it until it got worse to the point i could identify what it was. Eventually it got loud, but only on an off, sometimes it would be fine, then the odd rattle every 20-30 seconds. Had the cam belt replaced along with pulley's etc and it went away.

EDIT: I had the water pump done at the same time too.

[Edited on 08-12-2010 by A2H GO]
kennySRi

8th Dec 10 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it is still losing a bit of water then my money is on it being the water pump.
Baskey

8th Dec 10 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had this on mine. It will be the water pump
Baskey

8th Dec 10 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also it's a common problem for the pump to go and then get mis diagnosed
Kano

8th Dec 10 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My air con pump went with exactly the same symptom as yours at 10k miles. Luckily I was under warranty. They really are shite cars.
l15ter

8th Dec 10 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its at Vauxhall and now there saying its the cambelt.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rattle sounds coming from engine on my Astra...and the bank account becomes lower AGAIN 22 database queries in 0.0124929 seconds