corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Things to consider for car events (track days/ Santa Pod etc)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Things to consider for car events (track days/ Santa Pod etc)
Ash_EP3

User status: Offline
8th Jan 11 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the plan this year is to get my car suspension sorted (hopefully including geometery) as well as paint sorted and wheels powdercoated.. once it's in a 'worthy' state I want to get it out there (track days @ combe / Santa pod etc), but as I've never done it before I want to make sure I have a good understanding of what to expect...

- Cost? - I understand that this varies depending on where you go and what you do at the event...
- Attire? - My understanding is that this is casual clothing and also gloves and a helmet?
- Insurance? - How much is it roughly for a days insurance?
- Legal? - I assume you must attend a briefing and sign forms before you actually participate in the events..

Any help / links would be appreciated
gavin18787
Premium Member

8th Jan 11 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Come along to something like the action days at coombe and its about £30 + fuel

No gloves just helmet will do

Weekend racer will offer more info

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Graham88

8th Jan 11 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

& that way if you don't like it you only have to stay out for 15 mins whereas if you fork out over £100 for the day you feel inclined to keep doing it.

I've never bothered with insurance as it tends to double the cost of the day

Just need a helmet and most places require you to have your arms covered (jumper, coat) just make sure it's a thin jumper as you will get hot.

You sign all documentation before the event starts.
antnee

8th Jan 11 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cost- track days vary from 50 up to around 5-600 quid. But you have to consider fuel, extra wear on tyres, brakes, etc, food and drink for the day. Fuel wise, most people will generally use a tank or 2 in a day on track depending how much they go out. Wear on tyres and brakes depends on your driving style, I consider myself to be a fairly smooth driver so don't see much wear, but others can kill a set of normal tyres in a day. Obviously food and drink for the day too. Another thing to consider is how far away the track is and if it would be better to stay in a hotel the night before, most days require you to be there about 8am or so.

You need to have legs and arms covered and have a helmet, gloves are optional.

Insurance, don't know, never bothered.

Legal, the usual sign your life away at the beginning of the day forms, every driver must attend a briefing before they go out on track, go through procedures on track, flags, sometimes how to drive the track too.
Ash_EP3

8th Jan 11 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the advice guys, another thing of just thought of is noise... I've been told I'll never get onto a track with the Spoon exhaust what are the noise regulations and how do they test it?
Kurt

8th Jan 11 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

N1? My fake copy and Ron b pipe got tested at 106db and failed oulton, a gruppe m probably didn't help much either

Although the tester seemed a bit of a Noob trying to make me rev to 6k while stationary

If your using the civic and lowering it then you may also want to consider a baffled sump, seems a few people have killed big end shells when the oil moves over in the sump away from the pick up
Ash_EP3

8th Jan 11 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
N1? My fake copy and Ron b pipe got tested at 106db and failed oulton, a gruppe m probably didn't help much either

Although the tester seemed a bit of a Noob trying to make me rev to 6k while stationary

If your using the civic and lowering it then you may also want to consider a baffled sump, seems a few people have killed big end shells when the oil moves over in the sump away from the pick up

Mine only revs to 4k on stationary due to the launch control yea it has Spoon N1, Spoon B pipe and a DC Sports 4-2-1 mani (no cat)
MJ

8th Jan 11 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi mate

as you have a honda visit http://www.hondas-on-track.com/ they organise track days and are great.

I have been with them twice at castle combe and everything is spot on. They are a bit more expensive but they do this to reduce the number of cars on track so that you can be safe. at castle combe they limit it to 12 people on the track at once which is great for newbies. They are all so helpful and great to talk to. you wont be dissapointed. They have a sessoned event in april which i might be going to. you get 15/20mins every hour for 7 hrs. regarding a helmet you can hire one if you wish. it is worth geting instruction through as it teaches you the correct lines etc.

Any more information let me know.

Cheers MJ
MJ

8th Jan 11 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh also i use morris car track insurance at about £75 for a full day on a £7k car.

Cheers MJ
Kurt

8th Jan 11 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yours will be well over 105 with a mani too

Whatever you do don't ever fit a Jetex bung! Mine is stuck months later
Tom G

8th Jan 11 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yours will be well over 105 with a mani too

Whatever you do don't ever fit a Jetex bung! Mine is stuck months later

Still?
mattk

8th Jan 11 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love doing the sound test, haing some fella stood 1m behind my car at 4k rpm, smoke. everywhere.
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

8th Jan 11 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates EP3 has a complete Toda sytem and isnt loud at all IMO...
Kurt

8th Jan 11 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Toda systems are designed for track though iirc

The spoon n1 comes with a bung but mine being a copy doesn't have one
Rob R

8th Jan 11 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ash... me and James are doing Keevil this year, we should sort a day of all 3 of us as it's only local to you as well.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
8th Jan 11 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

suspension sorted

Not essential to get there, you could track a standard car and be fine. I wouldn't prioritise this over the other aspects of going there.

including geometery

Good idea but do wait until you've decided on a ride height before doing this as it'll need altering again.

paint sorted

wheels powdercoated

Cost

Depends what you do, anything between £20 for a second hand session ticket on the day to £200 or more for a full day. Then you have on costs like fuel, things like tyres and brakes which will wear, should ideally have fluid changes (oil, brake, coolant) as well. Then you need to sleep and eat over the weekend.

Attire

Doesn't matter but soft shoes / trainers and your arms and legs covered. Thin clothing is better as you will get warm. Helmets can usually be hired.

Insurance

Expensive and usually not worth having when you see how much you'll be reimbursed. Watching where you're going is also useful.

Legal

Read every bit of correspondence which you get from the organisers and listen to the briefings. Also worth speaking to the people who have done it before as they'll know where to go / what to listen to / who needs to see your licence / what wristbands etc. to have.

You'll generally also need to provide both parts of your licence, which will need to be in date but not necessarily clean.

links

http://www.weekendracer.co.uk/

Coming to watch events will also make it easier and less worrying to take part in them. Most track days allow people to spectate for free so it's usually a cheap day out but you'll still get to meet people, see the systems and perhaps get a few passenger laps.
Kurt

8th Jan 11 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My civic has been pretty much standard apart from pads, induction and exhaust on all the track days I've done

In standard form they're fantastic, I took doug out in the wet at oulton and he didn't even realise it was on standard suspension until I said I was getting some coilovers soon for it, the lack of torque means they're not the quickest of things, I had to try and fend off a few clios
Ash_EP3

10th Jan 11 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
suspension sorted

Not essential to get there, you could track a standard car and be fine. I wouldn't prioritise this over the other aspects of going there.

including geometery

Good idea but do wait until you've decided on a ride height before doing this as it'll need altering again.

paint sorted

wheels powdercoated

Cost

Depends what you do, anything between £20 for a second hand session ticket on the day to £200 or more for a full day. Then you have on costs like fuel, things like tyres and brakes which will wear, should ideally have fluid changes (oil, brake, coolant) as well. Then you need to sleep and eat over the weekend.

Attire

Doesn't matter but soft shoes / trainers and your arms and legs covered. Thin clothing is better as you will get warm. Helmets can usually be hired.

Insurance

Expensive and usually not worth having when you see how much you'll be reimbursed. Watching where you're going is also useful.

Legal

Read every bit of correspondence which you get from the organisers and listen to the briefings. Also worth speaking to the people who have done it before as they'll know where to go / what to listen to / who needs to see your licence / what wristbands etc. to have.

You'll generally also need to provide both parts of your licence, which will need to be in date but not necessarily clean.

links

http://www.weekendracer.co.uk/

Coming to watch events will also make it easier and less worrying to take part in them. Most track days allow people to spectate for free so it's usually a cheap day out but you'll still get to meet people, see the systems and perhaps get a few passenger laps.

I've been to watch you guys @ Combe previously, I didn't take part however it was more just to meet people and take a look at the cars etc.

I want to get my car lowered and then FRSU (fast road setup) complete before I take it out on track.. I want to have as much confidence in the car as possible.

The paint is faded and I want the wheels done in white so not sure why you put yea it's not required for me to take part but it's something I want to get done...

£75 insurance doesn't sound to bad for a day considering what it could be if something bad did / does happen..
Ash_EP3

10th Jan 11 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MJ
hi mate

as you have a honda visit http://www.hondas-on-track.com/ they organise track days and are great.

I have been with them twice at castle combe and everything is spot on. They are a bit more expensive but they do this to reduce the number of cars on track so that you can be safe. at castle combe they limit it to 12 people on the track at once which is great for newbies. They are all so helpful and great to talk to. you wont be dissapointed. They have a sessoned event in april which i might be going to. you get 15/20mins every hour for 7 hrs. regarding a helmet you can hire one if you wish. it is worth geting instruction through as it teaches you the correct lines etc.

Any more information let me know.

Cheers MJ

Thanks for your help
Ash_EP3

10th Jan 11 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
My civic has been pretty much standard apart from pads, induction and exhaust on all the track days I've done

In standard form they're fantastic, I took doug out in the wet at oulton and he didn't even realise it was on standard suspension until I said I was getting some coilovers soon for it, the lack of torque means they're not the quickest of things, I had to try and fend off a few clios

Yea they do handle rather well as standard mate... now mine's mapped it needs a little more work though...
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Jan 11 at 00:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_EP3
I've been to watch you guys @ Combe previously, I didn't take part however it was more just to meet people and take a look at the cars etc.

I want to get my car lowered and then FRSU (fast road setup) complete before I take it out on track.. I want to have as much confidence in the car as possible.

The paint is faded and I want the wheels done in white so not sure why you put yea it's not required for me to take part but it's something I want to get done...

£75 insurance doesn't sound to bad for a day considering what it could be if something bad did / does happen..

My point is just that if you want to get out there and do it then paint and even suspension shouldn't be a barrier to that. Obviously you want to tidy the car but that's along side using it. Also there's no real "presentation" on the stand, ie. if someone turns up with a less-than-pristine car then that's fine, no one is going to criticise that type of car on that type of stand for having a bit of mis-matched paint. Mine is very tatty but it's not there to look good. Depends how you feel!

Regarding suspension, I would probably prefer to learn on road suspension if you want confidence. It'll have a lower breakaway point and give far more feedback. My car on hard coilovers in somewhat less confidence-inspiring than it was as standard as it's a lot more snappy. Not sure what spec the stuff you're going for is but if it's confidence you want, get it soft and understeery as at least you will probably rescue that if it goes.

£75 sounds very cheap indeed for insurance - anyone got details about what is covered for that?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

10th Jan 11 at 00:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Also there's no real "presentation" on the stand, ie. if someone turns up with a less-than-pristine car then that's fine, no one is going to criticise that type of car on that type of stand for having a bit of mis-matched paint.

You're not lying - my old Corsa was on the stand at TVL FFS
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Jan 11 at 00:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly, it doesn't matter. Particularly as everything costs money and you need to prioritise. Mine is rusty but it goes

[Edited on 10-01-2011 by Ian]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Things to consider for car events (track days/ Santa Pod etc) 23 database queries in 0.0172379 seconds