corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DSG

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DSG
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
23rd Jan 11 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drove my mates A3 2.0 TDi last night, it's spec'd nicely with leather, xenons, DSG, etc...

I didn't know much about DSG until this year to be honest, driving it I found it kind of nice but I think I would miss having a clutch when booting it. I like to be able to have full control. Don't get me wrong DSG is really nice, it makes a lovely car to drive normally and it was fun chucking it around but the paddles become useless when corning tight so you're forced to use the stick to go up and down.

I also thought the delay in changing gears was longer than I expected, you click it into gear and it happens about a second or two later which seems like a long time when driving.

What's your opinion on DSG?
pow
Premium Member

23rd Jan 11 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pretty much the same as you really, would love an auto as my daily drive now but miss the control of a manual when giving it the beans.,
shibby

23rd Jan 11 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dad has the dsg in his a4 and there is no delay changing, same with the 3.2 A3 i drove, loved the gearbox tbh
Corsa_Sport21

23rd Jan 11 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the gearchange on the car you drove is about a second or 2 later,i suggest they put it into a garage as something must be wrong.

The DSG can shift quicker than average joe in a manual.
Rich H

23rd Jan 11 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what I remember Mark (broster) saying, DSG boxes can handle the power better too. We were talking specifically about remapped Caddy's at the time though

I do like the laziness of auto, but think I'd miss the control of a manual - it's part of the overall "fun" of driving

People who just take an auto driving test for example just seem numpty's to me
Sam
Premium Member

23rd Jan 11 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Manual transmissions are so 19th century TBH.
CorsAsh

23rd Jan 11 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're so 19th century tbh
deano87

23rd Jan 11 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Pretty much the same as you really, would love an auto as my daily drive now but miss the control of a manual when giving it the beans.,

This.

Strange you say about the delay on DSG. Must be a bit broke because I've always heard it's one of the best flappy paddles.
big eck

23rd Jan 11 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I test drive an r32 with the dsg first to make sure that I was buying the correct car and I just didnt like it at all. I just prefer the feeling of having a clutch.
richc

23rd Jan 11 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
quote:
Originally posted by pow

This.

Strange you say about the delay on DSG. Must be a bit broke because I've always heard it's one of the best flappy paddles.

I thought they were quick at changing (3.2 TT i drove). Only thing i didnt like was in a situation like this (when in auto mode);

Driving along, doing 40 or so. Glance down the road and see nothing comming so you plant it. It knocked down to 3rd from 4th, and started to buld up speed, then all of a sudden down changes again into 2nd. This makes the car 'redline', and is well out of its power band and istantly changed back into 3rd. The whole time im on the wrong side of the road with foot planted. Was abit of a moment.

I reckon i would of bought the car if i didnt have to duck down to look out of the windows!

In 'manual' mode, i thought it was nice and responsive. Didnt find the car that fast though. Was expecting more 'oommphh' tbh!
Ben G

23rd Jan 11 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the paddles in the ferrari 430 scuderia i drove were awesome, instant gear changes.

aston martin v8 vantage, bit slow.

i can see where you're coming from with the delay, i didn't like it either.
broster
Premium Member

23rd Jan 11 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's an ace gearbox IMO! One of the better ones out there in your average car! And as rich says they can handle a decent amount of torque! I'd like a caddy 1.9 105bhp with dsg and a nice remap!
xa0s
Banned

23rd Jan 11 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is quick compared to manually changing but it's not what I'd call instant, there's at least a 0.5-1.5 second delay after you touch the paddle for it to slot into gear I found?
CORSA NUT

23rd Jan 11 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drive DSG cars all the time...

In regards to shifting there unbeatable but driving pleasure?? Naa not for me it the delayed throttle responce i don't like.

For example if your in 5th and you want to be in 3rd you can do it a lot quicker in a manual. If that makes sense.
pow
Premium Member

23rd Jan 11 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But for driving to work/the shops/long motorway stint I could quite happily have one
davcohen

23rd Jan 11 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

arent dsg's supposed to change gear in like 0.1 seconds??

I have driven many new cars with various gearbox's but the feeling of a manual I still think is best as there is no way its going to do anything with the gears unless you do it..... simple as
CORSA NUT

23rd Jan 11 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
But for driving to work/the shops/long motorway stint I could quite happily have one

Oh yeah all day long mate...in a perfect world for daily commute i'd love a DSG in like an S4 etc but then a 911 with a manual for the weekend etc
ryzer

23rd Jan 11 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My a4 has the DSG and it's spot on, no way a second delay on the gear change, the only downside is it is connected to a 2.0 diesel, not the 3.2!
Graham88

24th Jan 11 at 01:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drove my mates ED30 Golf, was quite nice to drive normally but when racing I didn't like it. Felt out of control tbh. Plus it's effortless to rag, you just have to go, turn or stop, far too simple for my liking. Plus it changed gear for me even when I was using the paddles so I'd changed up into 3rd but in the split second of me thinking about changing gear and doing it, it had changed up, so it went 4th by itself then I changed it into 5th so it just bogged down, highly homosexual IMO
xa0s
Banned

24th Jan 11 at 02:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Drove my mates ED30 Golf, was quite nice to drive normally but when racing I didn't like it. Felt out of control tbh. Plus it's effortless to rag, you just have to go, turn or stop, far too simple for my liking. Plus it changed gear for me even when I was using the paddles so I'd changed up into 3rd but in the split second of me thinking about changing gear and doing it, it had changed up, so it went 4th by itself then I changed it into 5th so it just bogged down, highly homosexual IMO

I found that you need to forget everything you know about cars and learn to drive the car itself, don't worry how it works etc... When it's in sports mood and you shift it won't automatically shift unless it's either so low that it's gunna judder or so high that it's in the redline, other than that it let you do what you want but yeah I can imagine it fucking up a lot until you get used to it and know what it's gunna do and when etc
Graham88

24th Jan 11 at 03:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I mean he drives it fine tbh so obviously just me not being used too it. Thing aswell is it was 300bhp, but it didn't feel fast, no head back in the seat cause the turbo barely stops spinning as it changes gear so fast. Only a little bit more powerful than mine but I can't touch him just because of how fast the car changes gear. He gets like a car length on me everytime I change gear
xa0s
Banned

24th Jan 11 at 04:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow the A3 is only 140bhp, I'd be curious to see what driving a 300bhp DSG car is like... Yeah gear changes are a piss take, cheating bastards tbh

Oh and when it changed gear going round a high speed corner it unsettled the car a bit, I imagine that's worse with 300bhp

[Edited on 24-01-2011 by xa0s]
Corsa_Sport21

24th Jan 11 at 04:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Yeah I mean he drives it fine tbh so obviously just me not being used too it. Thing aswell is it was 300bhp, but it didn't feel fast, no head back in the seat cause the turbo barely stops spinning as it changes gear so fast. Only a little bit more powerful than mine but I can't touch him just because of how fast the car changes gear. He gets like a car length on me everytime I change gear

My boss has a Mk5 Gti with DSG,mapped to 250bhp and although it seems fast the way the speedo climbs,it dosn't feel fast.Its a more smooth power band all the way and dosnt give you the boost surge.

I wouldn't say no to it though,nice inside and the optional Recaro's are comfy as fuk.
Graham88

24th Jan 11 at 04:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice cars inside indeed, I would have one that's for sure, but it would be a manual, I imagine it would be alot more fun to drive.

You described it exactly the way I thought, it was so smooth but didn't feel fast, yet I'm just watching the speedo climb to 100 quite easily and quicker than my car would, but didn't feel as fast, and for that reason, I'm out
taylorboosh

24th Jan 11 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate has a dsg a3 and gearbox is cool imo

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DSG 22 database queries in 0.0134041 seconds