corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » People who smooth engine bays

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author People who smooth engine bays
Mertin

User status: Offline
1st Feb 11 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do they go about doing simple things like checking coolant, or if brake fluid needs topped up etc? Also what if something like the master cylinder goes and its hidden away and needs replaced, same with other parts? Just something I wondered about when looking at the blue nova in total vauxhall (few months ago I think)
Are they easily accesible when hidden or is it a pain in the hoop to access?
nathy_87

1st Feb 11 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask Tomnova.
AlexW

1st Feb 11 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Benns nova is easy, Header tank is in the scuttle, so just remove the cover and its easy. Master cylinder etc is still exposed so its easy. Corsa pedal setup is similar (common conversion on novas if you didnt know)

Most of the stuff is simple to live with.
Wiring can be a pain if it goes wrong, but its easy.
AlexW

1st Feb 11 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its hard when you decide to change things, Ben has decided to fit a F28 so had to remove all the filler on the chassis leg to weld on the F28 mount.
antnee

2nd Feb 11 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what you do and how you do it really! I've seen on VAG cars, people just removed the coolant bottle and theres some companies which make a valve which goes in the rad pipes so you can still top the water up if needed. Washer fluid, simples if it runs out top-up. Brake fluid shouldn't go down unless you have a leak.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

2nd Feb 11 at 11:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically whats already been said
master cylinder usually stays where it is.
can be a ballach, but for the amount of times you'd need to top up the fluids its not really an issue

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
alan-g-w

2nd Feb 11 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
Depends what you do and how you do it really! I've seen on VAG cars, people just removed the coolant bottle and theres some companies which make a valve which goes in the rad pipes so you can still top the water up if needed. Washer fluid, simples if it runs out top-up. Brake fluid shouldn't go down unless you have a leak.

I was always under the imression that the expansion tank was there for a reason, surely you'd be blowing pipes if there's nowhere for it to vent the pressure that builds up as it gets warm?
aron

2nd Feb 11 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm in the process of finishing off my mk2 bay

battery in boot, washer bottle replaced with a bag, expansion tank removed by using a top fill radiator, wiring put down the chassis rails and extended
antnee

2nd Feb 11 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
Originally posted by antnee

I was always under the imression that the expansion tank was there for a reason, surely you'd be blowing pipes if there's nowhere for it to vent the pressure that builds up as it gets warm?

I thought that too, but loads of people do it and its fine
aron

2nd Feb 11 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

using a top fill rad (with coolant chamber) means you can ditch your expansion tank
alan-g-w

2nd Feb 11 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm assuming this coolant chamber acts as an expansion tank?

Not suggesting it wouldn't work or anything, just seems like something to think about to get the expansion tank to fuck from the Corsa's bay.
corsamon

2nd Feb 11 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alot of older cars never had a expansion tank, as aron sais just a top fill rad or radiator top hose with a filling point :-)
corsamon

2nd Feb 11 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the top fill couplings you buy have a pressure relief cap just like an expansion tank so they do the same job. most of the smoothed bay VW lot have them deamon tweeks, ebay e.t.c im sure will sell them
corsamon

2nd Feb 11 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Cooling_System/Radiator_Caps_Necks/Moroso_Radiator_Hose_Filler/1850/5477

A design similar to the above....
alan-g-w

2nd Feb 11 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks ideal, I can't help but think that an expansion tank's used for a reason though?
corsamon

2nd Feb 11 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That im not sure ive run without one on a mk2 golf and an a series metro before no worries though
aron

2nd Feb 11 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've just bought a mk1 golf top fill rad for mine, as said above, alot of cars come without an expansion tank

alternatively, you could use a bmw e36 top fill rad, i was considering one for mine.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » People who smooth engine bays 23 database queries in 0.0087049 seconds