corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Steve Coogan on Top Gear

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Steve Coogan on Top Gear
Simon

User status: Offline
5th Feb 11 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spot on article about the state of Top Gear now, worth a read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/feb/05/top-gear-offensive-steve-coogan

A highlight:

quote:

Richard has his tongue so far down the back of Jeremy's trousers he could forge a career as the back end of a pantomime horse. His attempt to foster some Clarkson-like maverick status with his "edgy" humour is truly tragic. He reminds you of the squirt at school as he hangs round Clarkson the bully, as if to say, "I'm with him". Meanwhile, James May stands at the back holding their coats as they beat up the boy with the stutter.

Jake

5th Feb 11 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hammond trying to copy clarksons sense of humour has been making me cringe for as long as i can remember. i have no idea why the audience laugh at any of shite he comes out with because its not funny
Matt H

5th Feb 11 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hammond in general is a cock, at least Clakson does it knowing what he is.
JonnyJ

6th Feb 11 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake
hammond trying to copy clarksons sense of humour has been making me cringe for as long as i can remember. i have no idea why the audience laugh at any of shite he comes out with because its not funny

I agree with jake.

Hes been doing it for ages and it is cringeworthy. The only other thing he has is his "i think you can tell where this is going".

Hes seriously unfunny.

May though, i like, hes always made me laugh with his humour on any show hes been on.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Feb 11 at 00:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They've been trying too hard for a while now, glad someone noteworthy has said it.
Eck
Premium Member

6th Feb 11 at 00:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

JC and JM are brilliant. RH can GTF TBH IMO. SC can fuck off as well.
Neil

6th Feb 11 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From the comments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs

Stewart Lee on Top Gear
sand-eel

6th Feb 11 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone thats complains about TG can fuck off.
Dom

6th Feb 11 at 01:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NeilM

Stewart Lee on Top Gear

Stewart Lee is about as funny as the man he's complaining about

To be honest i think the article is a load of guff over nothing and i am slightly confused with the paragraph where he states that it is perfectly acceptable to be racist and sexist whilst playing a character.

As someone commented -
quote:

One rich, middle-aged petrol head thinks three other rich, middle-aged petrol heads aren't as cool and funny as he is...

Ian W

6th Feb 11 at 01:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by NeilM

Stewart Lee on Top Gear

Stewart Lee is about as funny as the man he's complaining about

To be honest i think the article is a load of guff over nothing and i am slightly confused with the paragraph where he states that it is perfectly acceptable to be racist and sexist whilst playing a character.

As someone commented -
quote:

One rich, middle-aged petrol head thinks three other rich, middle-aged petrol heads aren't as cool and funny as he is...

The part where it ok to play a character is because you not laughing at the comments he is saying, the joke is the fact that the character is saying them while the audiences cringes knowing its not what a normal person would do yet the character is oblivious to this.

No social judgement is the term used I think.

[Edited on 06-02-2011 by Ian W]
sampayne21

6th Feb 11 at 01:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the part about "i wish Richard Hammond was either killed or decapitated" was a little far as jokes go
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Feb 11 at 02:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sampayne21
the part about "i wish Richard Hammond was either killed or decapitated" was a little far as jokes go
He doesn't wish that. It's satire.
deano87

6th Feb 11 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the end of the day these 'jokes' are all part pf a massive PR stunt for the BBC, or the programme atleast.

Yes the presenters should have the intelligence to realise what they're saying is potentially wrong. But there will be a large team behind the scenes that should no better. But interestingly they know exactly what they're doing and the reaction it'll prevoke.

You have that Guardian article, us talking about it plus hundreds more. The big wigs behind the programme should pull it, or more importantly not write such things into the script. Takes 2 to tango n'all that.
alan-g-w

6th Feb 11 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think some of it is ad-libbing though, surely it's not all scripted.

Did anyone else read that article in Alan Partridge's voice
MatG

6th Feb 11 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is a such a terrible argument from a bloke so far up his own arse he is failing to see what the public like and want.

I find top gear funny, I liked the mexican gag, it was no more offensive than the Birmingham gags I have to endure on pretty much any comedy show or live stand up at some point or another.

Looking to much into it? Fallen out with one of the presenters? BBC not commissioned one of his lack lustre comedies? Far to many axes to grind in the industry to get a true representation of the real agenda.

[Edited on 06-02-2011 by MatG]
Ryan

6th Feb 11 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS what a tit.

Nobody will be able to say anything soon, another tosser jumping on the PC bandwagon for no reason at all, the comments cant have offended him so STFU.

He is probably going to appear on TV soon in something more grown up than his usual work and is trying to look all responsible and PC to draw in his target audience.
alan-g-w

6th Feb 11 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His whole point though is that fact that it's not a show that you should be expecting comments like that. It's like tuning in to the Beechgrove Garden and seeing them calling Autralians half arsed convicts just because they're showing you a fruit tree from over there or something. I don't tune into Top Gear to see them taking the piss out of everyone, the usual light hearted gags will do. It's like they're just trying too hard to be funny.

A Birmingham gag from a comedian, on telly or any other sort of situaiton like that is exactly that - a joke about Birmingham, not three guys sitting around and seemingly genuinely taking the piss. I'm not dead bothered about the whole new direction of Top Gear (even though I did prefer the 'older' style) but they've got to understand that they've not got immunity from getting pulled up. As is said in that article I'm sure, they need to actually start thinking about what they're saying instead of just looking for cheap laughs.
Joe

6th Feb 11 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's right on the money imo.
ed

6th Feb 11 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's got it spot on. Top Gear is a disgrace, it's just embarrassing to watch now. The really annoying thing is that within the shite, there are some really good articles. Clarckson is a good journalist and I enjoy the way he reviews cars, it's very refreshing to watch and the the photography on the program is always fantastic.

[Edited on 06-02-2011 by ed]
Ian W

6th Feb 11 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wouldn't get half the criticism it does it it wasn't on the BBC. Clarkson (who owns the brand iirc) should just move it to Sky.
alan-g-w

6th Feb 11 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clarkson was just a producer the last time I looked.
deano87

6th Feb 11 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
I think some of it is ad-libbing though, surely it's not all scripted

Even still it isn't live so they should still be able to notice these things and I bet they do, but choose to air it.
CORSA NUT

6th Feb 11 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lets face it....Clarkson is a genius when it comes to what he does..sure he aint the best driver in the world but boy can he write about a car even after 30 years in the game it never gets old.

Hammond lost it about 2 years ago and James May?? I think he brilliant personally
Ben D

6th Feb 11 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Such a bunch of moaning cunts on here at times, don't like it? don't watch it and fuck off, it's not your show and obviously alot more people like it than don't hence it's international popularity, if it isn't quite your cup of tea just watch something else instead of thinking it should be changed to suit your tastes.

That Stewart Lee clip was funny however
Jake

6th Feb 11 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben D
Such a bunch of moaning cunts on here at times, don't like it? don't watch it and fuck off, it's not your show and obviously alot more people like it than don't hence it's international popularity, if it isn't quite your cup of tea just watch something else instead of thinking it should be changed to suit your tastes.

That Stewart Lee clip was funny however

dont like opinions? fuck off and dont come on corsasport

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Steve Coogan on Top Gear 22 database queries in 0.0413179 seconds