corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Audi A3 140/170 question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Audi A3 140/170 question
Skylined

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 11 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking of getting rid of my astra gsi and getting one of these, as I'm after something a little less "boy racer" due to starting a new job soon.

Drove a 170bhp A3 and although nippy, I was willing it to go a bit more. So basically, I'd be looking to get it remapped to push it over the 200bhp mark.

I've heard that the 140bhp versions remap better to about the same power, so was wondering if there's much point getting a 170. Anyone confirm or provide more info on this? What are the differences between the engines?

If it means I can get a 140 and pay cheaper road tax/insurance etc for the same power then clearly it's a winner.

Cheers
whitter45

3rd Mar 11 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They don't remap to the same as I believe they use different turbos

Mwg had a remapped one and loved it

I personally like the drive of the 140 better and is normally slightly less noisey assuming your not getting the new common rail

140 also doesn't have a DPF which I believe cause issues but never come across this myself
mwg

3rd Mar 11 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah my 170 with a Bluefin remap on was a totally different car. I liked it a lot. And yeah the 140 doesn't map to the same as the 170 due to various differences between the engines. Turbo being one of them. Think its 170-180 for the 140 depending who you get it done by. Bluefin is about 200bhp but people like Revo reckon they can get them to 210+ but I was bothered about the extra torque knackering the clutch so played it safe and went for the Bluefin.
Fad

3rd Mar 11 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The turbo on the 170 is bigger. The injectors in the 170 are diferent too. Obviously the ECU is mapped differently too. Apart from that and a few upgraded bits and pieces, it's very similar to the 140 as far as i'm aware.

From the comments on Audi Sport the general consensus is that the 170 isn't enough of an improvement over the 140 to justify the additional cost and poor fuel economy and the gains on the maps as a overall % isnt that great.

Remember both engines use the same clutch and gearboxs so are limited by the safe threshold of 350lb/ft which even then can cause problems with DMS and clutches under load.

IMO opinion having had use of both and currently owning a mapped 140 the saving in cost and economy and higher gains from the map and drivability make the PD140 a wiser choice. Also worth noting if you constantly do short trips the DPF will cause you problems on the 170.

[Edited on 03-03-2011 by Fad]
broster
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 140 running 240bhp and 400lbft! Still does 60 mpg too!
broster
Premium Member

3rd Mar 11 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgot to add still on STD clutch and flywheel
Fad

3rd Mar 11 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mark that is interesting.........
big eck

3rd Mar 11 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not to mention impressive, whats been done to get that big a gain??? A lot i'm guessing.
Ben J

4th Mar 11 at 06:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My A4 is the 148bhp version. I've driven the 170 too and couldn't tell much difference at all.

Claire

4th Mar 11 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 140 PD can suffer from oil pump failure in some models. I don't know if its the same as the Golf etc but may be worth checking as it can result in a dead engine. It's probably been over-hyped on the internet but it is a possibility.
adiohead

4th Mar 11 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My friend has the 170 with dsg in his vRS and it's fucking amazing.

broster
Premium Member

4th Mar 11 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have Pipercross VIS kit, Std S3 intercooler, hybrid turbo and then we mapped it to suit. std exhaust, still has cat. ones we have done with a twintercooler and full milltek see about 275bhp! awesome engines!

can push the std turbo to 200bhp, had mine at 200bhp for about 10,000miles, been at 240/400 spec for around 14,000miles now too, clutch is just starting to show signs of slipping
broster
Premium Member

4th Mar 11 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
My friend has the 170 with dsg in his vRS and it's fucking amazing.

170 with dpf delete pipe and a map with dsg box is a good option!
Skylined

6th Mar 11 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok cheers for the info.

Dunno what DPF is but just googled it and found diesel particulate filter....is this right?

Does the 140 not have this, why only problems with the 170? And why do you get problems with it?
pow
Premium Member

6th Mar 11 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The DPF stuff is mainly internet hype as well, the Alfa doesn't often see a motorway (although it's shortest journey is probably to work which is 18 miles) and it's fine, it just does a regeneration sometimes
Fad

6th Mar 11 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
The DPF stuff is mainly internet hype as well

Not really I've had two cars with dpf's recently and they previously must of done town miles and they both had imtermittend DPF issues.

DPF's are such terrible ideas for suposed town cars tbh
Skylined

7th Mar 11 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why? What problems do you get when doing short runs?
whitter45

7th Mar 11 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The DPF works on reducing emissions by capturing the particles and then burbing them off at given stages/times depndant on temps etc

On short runs the engines do not get up to temp and so the DPF does not work to capacity causing them to fail and they are not cheap

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Audi A3 140/170 question 22 database queries in 0.0519359 seconds