corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Want a Motorbike...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Want a Motorbike...
dannymccann

User status: Offline
10th Mar 11 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Woman at work's husband is selling his bike, I'm interested and can get insured and run it blah blah...my only concern is I sold my last bike because I bought a house without a garage, but I do have 2 parking spaces. Ive enquired with family about storing the bike over the winter months (1, because Im a pansy fair weather rider and 2, for protection against the elements) but its a no go on that front.

My house has no rear access apart from through my kitchen / living room and out the patio doors, so its very secure but you have to turn the bike so I dont reckon I will even get it in to the kitchen from the hallway. Ive got no option for building a structure out the front because its my driveway which is shared with the terraces either side. So I'm looking at practical driveway storage options all year round. I dont really know how much I want / have to spend, but I have found this and wondered if anyone had used one before? If I did go for it I would look to have it bolted to the tarmac out front so it doesnt get blown over....

http://www.feelgooduk.net/39-motorbike-motorcycle-cover-bike-home-shelter-garage.html

Any other options any one knows of? I'd rather not go for a bog standard cover because a) they are a bit of a pain in the arse, Ive had one before and b) I dont want the wind catching it and taking it over!
LeeM

10th Mar 11 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally i wouldnt unless i could put it in the back or garage it, it would worry me too much out front all the time
pow
Premium Member

10th Mar 11 at 08:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of my best mates has his bike under a cover padlocked to the wall of his terrace town house for the winter months...
Russ

10th Mar 11 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i redesigned my garden when i got my bike so it has it's own weatherproof shelter and is chained to a ground anchor and the gate padlocked. Only took a day.
dannymccann

10th Mar 11 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea I mean I would love to store it in the garden but it means taking it through the house which I would rather not do, even if its physically possible. With the garden being so inaccessible it would also mean keeping it running over the winter period would be difficult as I would be limited to just turning it on rather than taking it for a spin to keep it fresh.

The system of bolting it to the wall sounds interesting, have you got any links to the type of system he bought or anything like that?

Cheers
scottyp1989

10th Mar 11 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Metal-shed-Lean-bike-store-6x4-113x171-FREE-UK-P-P-/190344948335?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Structures_Fencing_CV&hash=item2c51716a6f

thats what i used to have for when i had one.
Colin

10th Mar 11 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a shed big enough to keep it in??
DaveyLC

10th Mar 11 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I keepy my bike outside, its got two ground anchors and a cover.. Someone did try and nick it though!
Ojc

10th Mar 11 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Davey you from Woodley or Earley?
Bonney

10th Mar 11 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Them shelters are shit hot. Got one for mine but had to send it back, as it wouldn't fit in out back garden.

As said, Just bolt it down and put something in to anchor it down on the opening side.

Also invest in a good ground anchor. I made my own out of 4 transit towing eyes welded together in pairs, Then down to some 2" square metal about 2 foot long joined together at the bottom with another peice of 2" square metal roughly the size of the wheelbase of your bike. Then put it into the ground in a load of concrete. Will be going nowhere!
sand-eel

10th Mar 11 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not just a normal waterproof cover?
We have a wall anchor but the house is sandstone, so don't actually use it i.e the wall will easily get ripped apart
Have a metal shed now.
Bonney

10th Mar 11 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Normal waterproof cover + damp + windy day = Scratched paintwork and a damp and rusty bike.

The other bike covers don't come into contact with the bike so the above risks are greatly reduced. Plus its easier to push the bike in after a ride. No need to wait for the bike to cool off to put the covers on.
sand-eel

10th Mar 11 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since when did fabric scratch paint?
Also why would the bike by damp if its waterproof? I use a normal cover quite often and after its been pissing it down, its bone dry underneath.
Bonney

10th Mar 11 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the cover is not breathable and it is warm out damp will build up under it and be on the bike. Also feel on the inside of the covers. Some of them the material inside is pretty rough. With the roughness of the cover and any grit and dirt that gets on the bike this can cause it to scratch.
C2RL R

10th Mar 11 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the same problem. I've thought about allsorts to get round it but I always end up changing my mind. I'll just have to wait til I move and make sure my next house is better suited to storing a bike. I really want a garage!
corsa120

10th Mar 11 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he is right even my car cover has scratched my front bumper...... remove them with some g3 compound but did happen......

be honest though my bandit has been in my back garden for 2 years now in the winter under a cover and there is no extra corroision that i can see and its generally been fine..... i left it for 4 months this year and it fired up first time lol must have a magical battery lol
_Allan_

11th Mar 11 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How tight is the access within the house?

http://www.cyoma.com/seevideo.htm
dannymccann

11th Mar 11 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really tight, walking through the front door you have roughly 6 foot to the stairs and to get in the kitchen we have 90deg angle through the door, in a corridor roughly 1m wide x 2m long, fairly usueless picture :

[Edited on 11-03-2011 by dannymccann]
corsa120

11th Mar 11 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont do it they are bad enough just pushing forward let alone navigating through a house..... id just buy like 4 ancher locks and disc locks etc with a really high security light and camera maybe
Bonney

11th Mar 11 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way I see it is make it as hard as possable for them to get it away. If that means blocking it in and putting it somewhere that is difficult to get it out, Then so be it.

They will have it if they want it, You just need to make their job as hard as possable!
DaveyLC

11th Mar 11 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
How tight is the access within the house?

http://www.cyoma.com/seevideo.htm

That is bloody brilliant!
dannymccann

11th Mar 11 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I live in a nice area, while I won't say it wouldn't get picked its a lot of work so I might just wait until storage options are better, I've got a wedding to pay for first anyway!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Want a Motorbike... 22 database queries in 0.0144799 seconds