corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cat C/D Insurance?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cat C/D Insurance?
sharpy28

User status: Offline
10th Mar 11 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've heard that if the car has been registered as a Cat C or D it will put insurance up? Is this Correct?

Reason I ask, I've been offered a Cat C car that hasnt been repaired but comes with the parts that need changing over, and I asked the owner about insurance and he said he has never had any trouble, is this just him trying to sell me the car?

Any help would be great, Thanks
Rupean

10th Mar 11 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no it dosnt put the insurance up, but sometimes you can get less money when it comes to a pay out ect if urs involved in a accident ect.
Ste
Premium Member

10th Mar 11 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Beware buying a cat C that comes with all the parts to fix it. What it generally means is he bought it all, fitted it and the panel gaps are miles out, so took it all off and is selling it on to cut his losses. Otherwise, why wouldn't he just fit the parts and sell it on complete for lots more money?

[Edited on 10-03-2011 by Ste W]

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
sc0ott

10th Mar 11 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cat C's require a VIC check or something as well?
antnee

10th Mar 11 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have found in the past cat c and d cars to be a little more to insure
Ste
Premium Member

10th Mar 11 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine is a D and Admiral weren't even bothered. No price difference to a straight one.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
sharpy28

10th Mar 11 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
Beware buying a cat C that comes with all the parts to fix it. What it generally means is he bought it all, fitted it and the panel gaps are miles out, so took it all off and is selling it on to cut his losses. Otherwise, why wouldn't he just fit the parts and sell it on complete for lots more money?

Ive seen the car, its a S plate corsa so doesnt take much to write one off, needs bonnet and wing, and could do with bumper but ive checked behind the bumper and the crash bar is'nt bent so i guess not much else would be, slam panel is fine, tracking is out as hit the wheel, so maybe new track rod ends, but it comes with the wing bonet and bumper and another wheel. Is it worth the risk?
sharpy28

10th Mar 11 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott

Is this deffinate?
sc0ott

10th Mar 11 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sharpy28
quote:

Is this deffinate?

Well someone hit the back of my old corsa and there was minor damage and the boot wouldnt open so i need to fix that and then i was to take it to a vosa centre for the vic check.
I didnt do it though but iirc they are around 50 quid.
Check the dvla car enquiry and it should tell you on there if a vic is required
luciaadr

10th Mar 11 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Is this deffinate?

Yes
sharpy28

10th Mar 11 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luciaadr
quote:
quote:

Cheers lads

[Edited on 10-03-2011 by sharpy28]
johnhara1

10th Mar 11 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My vec was cat d. Insurance didn't ask so i didn't tell.

No dramas.
John

10th Mar 11 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it not when they come to pay out and find it's a Cat whatever and give you what it's worth, which is less than a non written off one?
DaveyLC

10th Mar 11 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesnt affect the insurance but 'technically' if you are aware its a CAT C/D you are supposed to declare it which will reduce the value of the car.. Bewarned if you make a claim and they ask you if you were aware make sure you deny it if you hadnt already told them of the fact.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

10th Mar 11 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ste W

Ive seen the car, its a S plate corsa so doesnt take much to write one off, needs bonnet and wing, and could do with bumper but ive checked behind the bumper and the crash bar is'nt bent so i guess not much else would be, slam panel is fine, tracking is out as hit the wheel, so maybe new track rod ends, but it comes with the wing bonet and bumper and another wheel. Is it worth the risk?

Or it's had a new crash bar to hide the damage? and the tracking could be a ball joint or trackrod end - or a full new steering rack if it's been hit hard enough to damage it further in.

It may be exactly as you've said, but I'd be a bit more cautious and bet on the worst case scenario - that way, you'll only come across better things, not finding that it's worse than you thought.
sharpy28

10th Mar 11 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will have another inspection and probs give DVLA a ring see whats what with the VIC, cheers again guys
WATSON

10th Mar 11 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cat c will need a vic check.
Jake

10th Mar 11 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vic check is nothing really. the problem with catagory write off cars is there is no regulations to the quality of repairs that have taken place.
AndyCorsaSport

10th Mar 11 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VIC check is sod all like Jake said, its a Vehicle Identity Check, basically they drive it into a garage, shut down the door, check over the VIN plates, to see that havent been changed/tampered with, and send you on your way.

My Cat C corsa was no more to insure.
sc0ott

10th Mar 11 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye but hes bought or buying a car which is cat c and comes with all the parts to fix it but he is going to need to pay for the vic check when really the guy before should have mentioned this or even gave him the money.
sc0ott

10th Mar 11 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imo they should be cheaper to insure because the payout on them are lower so youre technically insuring a cheaper car.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cat C/D Insurance? 23 database queries in 0.0121999 seconds