corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Talk to me. Advise would be great.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Talk to me. Advise would be great.
McWillster

User status: Offline
14th Mar 11 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right after my thread about how things seem to be going tits up for me with my XE i've had a good hard think and sat and spoke to my father and a friend as to where to go from here.

Basically i want it running sweet.
Since choosing to not run a motor for the past month (along with other savings) i've got myself in a good enough position to do things properly.

Now on the face of things it looks reletivley straight forward.

With a good friend of mine who has been a mechanic now for the past 4 years and has built succesful running LET, he has advised me that my bottom end is in good nick. (what looks like new crank bearings, new oil and water pump.)

We have managed to source a coscast head.
Have purchased a new timing belt kit.
New gasket set. (Inc. Rocker cover, head gasket, inlet and exhaust, stem seals, 2x sump gasket the lot)
New head bolts.

Now is there anything else obvious that i have missed out before i continue?

Now onto the not so necessary side of things.
Whilst this work is on going and the car is in the process of being built up again.
I would like to here what folk have to say about getting my camshafts re-ground.

Have been looking at getting them done at Autosprint but unsure as to what kind of profile i should be running on a standard engine.

C20XE Autosprint cam reprofile

If there is anything else you could recommend i do whilst i at this stage in the game it would be very much apprieciated.

Wanting to get a bit more hands on with the project aswell which i more than capable or doing as i'm not completly alien to using tools. So any advise you could give would be great!
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

14th Mar 11 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure and get the head skimmed before fitting it.
McWillster

14th Mar 11 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's on the cards also aye. Guy from Headshop in Aberdeen Quoted me £40 to skim a bare head. Seemed reasonable.
philip2

14th Mar 11 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not a fan of reprofiled cams...lifters can jack up and cause alot of damage or cause the lifters to tap like hell. also £40 to skim a head? bit steep i only charge £25 and thats the going rate really.

why did you go for a coscast head btw? there not all that good and the inlet ports are tiny compared to gm heads too.
McWillster

14th Mar 11 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right so reprofiled cams are out fo the question then. Any suggestions on what other route to take. Power wise i'm not looking for big gains in power, nor am i really that fussed about figures. Just want it to pull well.

As for the head work and the coscast head. I'll phone about a few more places and see if i can get it down a little bit lower. Don't really have much selection up here. The head was for sale locally for £80. As said being so far up north not alot of selection and i haven't heard of any major disadvantage to having the coscast head before.
philip2

14th Mar 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah fair enough if its convenient to get them to skim it then fair enough. you could fit cams but id ideally get some ground from blanks not reprofiled...they do work and some people have never had a prolem with them, i personally just dont rate them that much.
McWillster

14th Mar 11 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right well cheers for the advise anyway! Yeah the place is literally right round the corner from my work and said i could drop it off in the morning and just pick it up at night when i'm finished so it is handy!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Talk to me. Advise would be great. 22 database queries in 0.1763251 seconds