corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » head skimming?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author head skimming?
joebickerton

User status: Offline
15th Mar 11 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi people as most of u know im replacing the headgasket on my corsa sport 1.4 16v now its not overheated or anything ive just had alot of smoke and cremey white shitty oil everything is off now but i just wondered if the head needed skimming ive used a metal ruler on it and it seems all fine i see people saying about doing it when its overheated and wharped but mine hasnt over heated so should be ok?? info welcome
c20letandy1988

15th Mar 11 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh ive heard the same but always best to throw a skim over it so you know for certain dont want to go through all that agian?
joebickerton

15th Mar 11 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing is mate its my first car i got it for 200 with mot n this is all that wrong with it every button inside works all tires are good etc im just not to sure about skimming as its got all valves and stuff left in and i dont wana remove them because i know il end up breaking it lol
c20letandy1988

15th Mar 11 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take it to a engine repair centre around ares only costs around £25 and they pressure test valves etc just give them the head
joebickerton

15th Mar 11 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o right bud yeah i will its got the coilpack on it still and all valves and inlet mani injectors etc
AlexW

15th Mar 11 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can leave valves etc in, Just remove the inlet and coilpack, your get a new inlet gasket in with the head gasket set.

Id suggest skimming it just to get a nice new flat and smooth surface, Since I bet yours is quite pitted atm.
joebickerton

15th Mar 11 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o right. its pretty flush mate done a metal ruler check and kitchen side and no gaps atal a friend is over next week to check it out anyway
Piér

15th Mar 11 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for the sake of 25 quid get it done, I never got mine done and the HG was leaking for months and months after, not worth the hassle and money tbh mate.
joebickerton

16th Mar 11 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they say it only wharps when it overheats mine hasnt overheated and the hg isnt badly gone ive caught it early and done the ruler and kitchen side tricks and its pretty straight so all should be well
Anthony

16th Mar 11 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get it skimmed, your be gutted if you have to take it apart again.
daine
Premium Member

16th Mar 11 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Joe, for the sake of £25 quid mate, I`ve changed loads and if you just stick it back on and the thing leaks again its a head set down the drain.
joebickerton

16th Mar 11 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not 25 where i am lol and its been checked over and its fine so no sweat

New Poll