corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » pulling a trailer.. do you need a test?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author pulling a trailer.. do you need a test?
chris_uk
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Mar 11 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on my licence i have a picture of a car and a milkfloat and nothing else..

at work i drive a ford t350 (pickup/flatbed) and they are thinking of replacing them with a standard transit but with a trailer. do i need a test to be able to tow a trailer?

ta.
fazza

30th Mar 11 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Legally yes

Robin
Premium Member

30th Mar 11 at 09:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the weight of the trailer iirc
pow
Premium Member

30th Mar 11 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the size of the trailer. MikeB or someone will be along to tell you more in a minute
fazza

30th Mar 11 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really? i thought any trailer a license is needed?

be awesome if you dont need an extra license
fazza

30th Mar 11 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles/DG_4022564

explains there but its confusing :S
Twiggy

30th Mar 11 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Small camping trailer and your ok. Big fuck off trailer towing cars and heavy shit you need to have the extra license

Thats what i remember
pow
Premium Member

30th Mar 11 at 09:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Twiggy has it tbh.

I used to tow my Dad's little trailer all the time when we had a car with a tow bar, quite legally.
RichR
Premium Member

30th Mar 11 at 09:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Officially you can tow a 750kg trailer with a vehicle of up to 3,500kg - in addition to this you can tow any combination of vehicle and trailer weight so long as the vehicle mass is in excess of the trailer weight.

The confusion arises with plated trailers; A trailer with a mass of 750kg but a MAM of 3,500kg such as a car or boat trailer would appear to be illegal to tow on your license even if it is unladen as the Police take the MAM.

You could tow the same trailer if it was unplated and didn't show a MAM.

The set up is ridiculous and there is lots of Ambiguity; Ian and I have had a few discussions about this and there's a big argument on the Land Rover sites about this issue but the safest bet is to ask your company to put you through the trailer test
RichR
Premium Member

30th Mar 11 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For clarity You can tow:
- upto 750kg with a vehicle of 3,500kg
- any combination of trailer weight plus vehicle weight upto 3,500kg so long as the vehicle weighs more than the trailer i.e. 1751kg Vehicle towing a 1749kg trailer load making a train weight of 3,500kg
mwg

30th Mar 11 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been driving tractors with trailers stacked full of bales for years now Not taken an extra license for it
whitter45

30th Mar 11 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
I've been driving tractors with trailers stacked full of bales for years now Not taken an extra license for it

bit unfair on the A3 that isn't it
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
30th Mar 11 at 11:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are combinations under which you could do this but with a heavy tow vehicle you are likely to be limited to a light trailer to stay under the 3500kg train requirement of category B. Subtract the weight of the trailer itself and you won't be left with much payload.
RichR
Premium Member

30th Mar 11 at 11:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You got a link to the Land Rover forum Ian, its quite an interesting read and show's the ambiguity of the whole set up.

Safest bet if you're doing it for wok is to have them put you through your trailer test anyway tbh
mwg

30th Mar 11 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

bit unfair on the A3 that isn't it

chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Mar 11 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i very much doubt my company would put me through the test, they will just expect us to do it.
oceansoul

30th Mar 11 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
i very much doubt my company would put me through the test, they will just expect us to do it.

Tell them to gtfo then. If its illegal they cant make you do it.

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
For clarity You can tow:
- upto 750kg with a vehicle of 3,500kg
- any combination of trailer weight plus vehicle weight upto 3,500kg so long as the vehicle weighs more than the trailer i.e. 1751kg Vehicle towing a 1749kg trailer load making a train weight of 3,500kg

Do these 2 points not contradict themselfs?

[Edited on 30-03-2011 by oceansoul]
RichR
Premium Member

30th Mar 11 at 15:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, they're ambiguous but clear enough; you're absoloute limit is 4,250kg; HOWEVER; there is a combined train mass equivalency which is limited to 3,500kg total.

IMO, it would be far clearer if they made it 4,250kg full stop and not give the two amounts.

The whole law needs to be made transparent
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

30th Mar 11 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not read anything above so this might have already been posted.

You say a standard Transit, within that you've got various GVW (gross vehicle weight)options, 2.6, 2.8, 3, 3.3 and 3.5 tonne.

If the trailer you're towing has a gross weight of 750kg or less, then any of the above options are fine and you can tow legally.

If the trailer has a GW of over 750kg, it all becomes more complicated. Once the trailer goes over 750kg, the maximum train weight (GVW + GW of the trailer) you're currently allowed to tow drops to 3.5 tonne, which means the only Transit you could potentially tow with would be the 2.6 tonne but even then you would only be able to tow upto a 900kg trailer on your current license.

Realistically it's fairly likely you'd need to do your towing test which atm costs £115 for the test. Training cost varies between companies and how much training you need etc. I paid £335 for 2 days (6 hours per day including test time on the second day) which was just about right for me, I'd never driven with a trailer before although I had spent a bit of time trying to think my way through reversing which probably helped a bit.

If you need to know anything else, feel free to ask

[Edited on 30-03-2011 by Mike B]
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Mar 11 at 18:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill just ask them to put me through it if they do indeed go for a trailer..

and i was told today it would be a meriva van we are getting.
Nick-S

30th Mar 11 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Small trailers are a pain in the arse to reverse.
MJFF88

30th Mar 11 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you need a tachograph aswell nowadays? Could've sworn I saw that on one of the police programmes

Edit, if it does I'm sure this will explain for your situation:

[Edited on 30-03-2011 by MJFF88]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
30th Mar 11 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good point - you'll also probably end up needing a tacho whereas at the moment you're just about exempt.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

30th Mar 11 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, if it's a heavy enough train to need the extra license then it's heavy enough to need a tacho
Dave

30th Mar 11 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you only need the tacho if you are driving for business use.

It's amazing that they make us take extra tests when, technically, my gran could jump in a Transit and tow a 3.5t trailer quite legally, even though she is incapable of getting her Seicento onto the drive without bouncing off both gateposts

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » pulling a trailer.. do you need a test? 22 database queries in 0.0148880 seconds