corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car Covers & Paintwork Damage

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car Covers & Paintwork Damage
AndyKent

User status: Offline
20th Apr 11 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since I moved into my new place I'm so close to work that I walk every day and the car gets left at home.

It's partly sat under a tree and now the weather has warmed up the poor thing is getting bloody filthy. Used it for the first time in 5 days last night and the amount of sticky sap and dust on it is silly. Lucky not much bird crap though. I've got no choice of where to park it (allocated space) and can't wash it either.

Was looking at getting a car cover but heard these can flap around a bit in the wind and marr the paintwork. My space is pretty well protected from the worst of the wind and right in the corner of the parking area though.

Question is, am I better off leaving it to get covered in sap and dust, or putting a cover on it?
Does the sap damage the paintwork?
DaveyLC

20th Apr 11 at 06:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a fabric lined cover or a talored one and it will be ok
Rich H

20th Apr 11 at 06:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm, tricky one tbh!

Yes sap can damage the paintwork, but normally only if left on for a while - if you are (or getting somebody else to) washing the car weekly for e.g, and it has a decent amount of wax on it, you should be ok tbh.

I'd never advise putting a cover on a car that's been driven as it will just rub any dirt on the car all over it - regardless of whether the cover is lined or not. I wouldn't tend to recommend a cover for external use at all unless you weren't bothered about marking the paint tbh.
AndyKent

20th Apr 11 at 07:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Piss.

I manage to wash the car about once a month back at mums. Refuse to take it to a carwash, don't want to give to the local poles and haven't got an external tap at home.

Its not like the paintwork is perfect by any means, but I'd hate for it to rapidly go downhill sat where it is
RCoughtrie

20th Apr 11 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

monsoon car cover, used it internaly and externaly on my RS tad expensive but works really well.
Adam_B

20th Apr 11 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cut the tree down
AndyKent

Hmmm, £150 but possibly worth it. I'll have a think

edit - link so I don't forget where I found it http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=16266&cat=402&page=1

[Edited on 20-04-2011 by AndyKent]
AndyKent

Wish I could Adam
LukeD

20th Apr 11 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the monsoon one as said. You get what you pay for with them.

I made the mistake of buying cheap twice- even though the second time i bought the most expensive halfords crap. it just wrecked the paintwork and the one i had with a little bit of wind flew of.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Car Covers & Paintwork Damage 22 database queries in 0.2229691 seconds