corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » had a brain wave... bike people (bike aqquired page 4)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author had a brain wave... bike people (bike aqquired page 4)
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
20th Apr 11 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the tt is costing me 40-50 per week in fuel, may not sound a lot but as a 1st year apprentice i only take home 800 a month.. this is only commuting 10 miles each way 5 days a week

my dad has a pretty reasonable mountain/road bike in his shed.. cost a few hundred quid+ and is light as fuck. he hasnt used it for an age and would probably donate it to my cause

im getting a bit podgy and cant diet for shit or stick to the gym... however i do like saving money a lot so would have no trouble biking to work, ive did it before in previous jobs

car would still be available in really shite weather

sounds good so far

my problem is punctures, i used to get loads and i cant afford to be late for work if i get one.

can i get like a sort of solid puncture proof set of tyres?

[Edited on 25-04-2011 by john-d]
AlunJ

20th Apr 11 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got continental ultra gatorskins on my road bike and they've been great so far, it's a second hand bike and I've personally done 70 miles on them no problems. They seem to rate well on reviews as well.
taylorboosh

20th Apr 11 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are they solid or inflatable?
M2RTY

20th Apr 11 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kevlar tyres
AlunJ

20th Apr 11 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

inflatable
taylorboosh

20th Apr 11 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so do these kevlar tyres work?

also does this gunk stuff work
Eddx14xe

You can get protector things that go inside your tyres, between the tyre and inner tube. These help prevent punctures, can get them for like £15 from halfords

[Edited on 20-04-2011 by Eddx14xe]
Eck
Premium Member

20th Apr 11 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you any idea just how uncomfortable a solid tyre would be?
pow
Premium Member

20th Apr 11 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Solid tyres are utter wank, get those onces that have the stuff that seals punctures

And 100 miles is costing you £40 or £50? Jesus wept! £40 is about 30 litres these days, so your doing 15MPG maximum?

[Edited on 20-04-2011 by pow]
taylorboosh

id be willing to spend 60-80 on tyres for it
taylorboosh

20th Apr 11 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
Have you any idea just how uncomfortable a solid tyre would be?

it has suspension
John

20th Apr 11 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do-able is 10 miles each way.

I'm unfit and have been on my cheap halfords bike once for 5 minutes since I bought it years ago.

Takes me half an hour driving about 10 miles then another 15 minutes walking a mile and a half.

Chances of doing it on a bike in the same time?
taylorboosh

20th Apr 11 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Solid tyres are utter wank, get those onces that have the stuff that seals punctures

And 100 miles is costing you £40 or £50? Jesus wept! £40 is about 30 litres these days, so your doing 15MPG maximum?

according to the comp its 24 average in it but theres not a chance.. id say on average a week i use 40 quid if i drive slowly trying not to boost... its fucking terrible on fuel and its 137.9 a litre here
pow
Premium Member

20th Apr 11 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And unleaded is 139.9 here... YOu must use the car to go other places/random drives/mcdonalds/the missus etc?

Cycling 10 miles is unrealistic IMO, especially if your as unfit as you say lol! Sorry...
taylorboosh

20th Apr 11 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

john - i know for a fact i couldnt do it in the same time. i wouldnt be bothered about an extra hour or so in my commute each day
Dr Pepper

20th Apr 11 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
How do-able is 10 miles each way.

I'm unfit and have been on my cheap halfords bike once for 5 minutes since I bought it years ago.

Takes me half an hour driving about 10 miles then another 15 minutes walking a mile and a half.

Chances of doing it on a bike in the same time?

I do 11 miles each way on a decent hybrid bike .... takes me about 40 minutes each way on average. Im much fitter than I was a couple of years back - but Im no athlete - you should be fine - you get decent within a week or two...will be bloody hard first time out - i suggest a couple of miles in the evening for a week to get your legs back before you launch in.

I am yet to get a puncture in hundreds of miles of cycling - buy a decent hybrid wheel, tyre and tube set up for the mountain bike, keep them at the correct pressure - you wont get punctures very often.

[Edited on 20-04-2011 by Dr Pepper]
C2RL R

20th Apr 11 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Punctures used to piss me right off. I've never found a decent solution. I'm always considering going for tubeless tires. I have noticed an improvement since putting them strip things between my innertube and tire. They are a twat to get in though. How late would you really be if you had to stop and repair? I can do it in less than 5 mins so I allow 15 mins extra on my journey.
taylorboosh

20th Apr 11 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
And unleaded is 139.9 here... YOu must use the car to go other places/random drives/mcdonalds/the missus etc?

Cycling 10 miles is unrealistic IMO, especially if your as unfit as you say lol! Sorry... [/quote

nope pretty much work and back thats it.. maybe one or two small small journeys a week max.
i didnt say i was unfit lol i said i was getting chubby. i reckon i could cycle ten miles in an hour tbh
John

20th Apr 11 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't deal with an extra hour a day, 45 minutes is bad enough.
pow
Premium Member

20th Apr 11 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sell the TT then
taylorboosh

20th Apr 11 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

john - i get paid around £6 per hour. £6 x 5 is £30 and therefore makes more sence than driving regardless

tbh if i did get a puncture i would just get one of the lads to pic me up
Dr Pepper

20th Apr 11 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was cycling 10 miles in under an hour when I was really unfit- like 4 stone heavier than I am now.

I would be suprised if you cant do it.

What you will struggle with is back and arse ache the first time out - you wont be used to being in that position for 40-50 minutes. I also find that after doing a 20 mile round trip day after day - im pretty sore by thurday or friday ... normally goes away after a couple of miles though.

taylorboosh

20th Apr 11 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Sell the TT then

looking likely anyway. insurance due in sept and im sick of spending a fortune on cars/fuel.
pow
Premium Member

20th Apr 11 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sell TT, get something that'll do 100 miles on £15, none of this bike me-larky

I'm munching my way through £60 a week of diesel + a tank a month or so in the Mazda at the moment

I'm good for over 2k this month

taylorboosh

20th Apr 11 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
I was cycling 10 miles in under an hour when I was really unfit- like 4 stone heavier than I am now.

I would be suprised if you cant do it.

What you will struggle with is back and arse ache the first time out - you wont be used to being in that position for 40-50 minutes. I also find that after doing a 20 mile round trip day after day - im pretty sore by thurday or friday ... normally goes away after a couple of miles though.

i weight 12.5-13 stone and am about 5 foot 8. im not fat just chubby. am deffo capable of doing 10 miles in an hour. Id imagine id will be very sore at first lol but meh, im usually sore after i play 5-a-side but still play

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » had a brain wave... bike people (bike aqquired page 4) 22 database queries in 0.0145450 seconds