corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » CAD

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CAD
Wrighty

User status: Offline
9th May 11 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone do CAD and know of a decent piece of software i can aquire to do a bit of learning? doesnt have to be 3D
mwg

9th May 11 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can get a free trial download from AutoCAD http://www.autodesk.co.uk/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=452932&id=14566959

Are you a student?
richc

9th May 11 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Solidworks i use! Im shit though
ed

9th May 11 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you mean by CAD? There are so many different applications for that term

I use Solidworks for 3D solid modelling, surfacing and producing engineering drawings.
mart08uk

9th May 11 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are taught to use Autodesk Maya at uni its fairly decent but done without measurements and more to when it looks correct. Solidworks is good as you use measurements its a bit like that program schools use Pro-Desktop..
Daveskater
Premium Member

9th May 11 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Matty G said.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
mart08uk

9th May 11 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can get some brilliant renders in both though, well using mental ray in Maya or photoview 360 in solid..
RichR
Premium Member

9th May 11 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mart08uk
Solidworks is good as..........its a bit like that program schools use Pro-Desktop..

[Edited on 09-05-2011 by LiVe LeE]
RichR
Premium Member

9th May 11 at 09:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why in God's name would you want a CAD program that didn't use measurements?
ed

9th May 11 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maya isn't really for engineering, it's more creative and for visualization and rendering.
mart08uk

9th May 11 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know, its good for designing though and playing with shapes easily.. And yeah Pro-Desktop is similar too solidworks in many ways working on planes and some of the tools.. Its just very basic..
RichR
Premium Member

9th May 11 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even so, why would you want something that you couldn't dimension; ridiculous, you're much better off with somethign that gives a degree of accuracy to the finished product rather than visualisation and surface modelling. You'd be better developing something in Solidworks/ProE/Catia and exporting across to 3DS Max or similar to render/colour in
mart08uk

9th May 11 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah dosen't matter though the op diden't mention engineering software.
ed

9th May 11 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
even so, why would you want something that you couldn't dimension; ridiculous, you're much better off with somethign that gives a degree of accuracy to the finished product rather than visualisation and surface modelling. You'd be better developing something in Solidworks/ProE/Catia and exporting across to 3DS Max or similar to render/colour in

Not if you're drawing a cartoon character for a movie or a picture of something for an advert. It's like saying you need to draw a painting dimensionally accurate using a square an ruler...
mart08uk

9th May 11 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah and I have complained about this at Uni but they teach us that software and tell us to use it, it's very easy to manipulate a shape though and with perseverance works a treat.
RichR
Premium Member

9th May 11 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE

Not if you're drawing a cartoon character for a movie or a picture of something for an advert. It's like saying you need to draw a painting dimensionally accurate using a square an ruler...

To me CAD by definition is CAD; Computer Aided Design - it requires a degree of accuracy and an engineering basis. A cartoon Character would be animation. Two different ends of the spectrum IMO
mart08uk

9th May 11 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well not exactly, im designing a piece of protective clothing and its easier to do this in Maya as is dosen't require specific measurements.. Besides when designing its easier to play with a shape by moving it around to create a pleasing form, in my opinion anyway.
RichR
Premium Member

9th May 11 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely protective clothing needs to be dimensioned though? Otherwise it wouldn't fit. Creating a pleasing form should sit second to the fit of the item in that case surely. Its all well and good making something look pretty but if it doesn't work then what's the point?
mart08uk

9th May 11 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well your taught to design something freely then its tasked to the manufacturing team to 'Make it work'. Well for what im doing now I used an image plane of a man to get the dimensions correct so I guess that kinda helps, its still just random scaling though. But from looking at it you can tell if it dosen't look correct..
AndyKent

9th May 11 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since noone else has mentioned it, Sketchup.

Sudo-cad I guess, don't have to be contrained to dimensions.
Daveskater
Premium Member

9th May 11 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good point actually, Sketchup is good free software

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Wrighty

9th May 11 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not a student no

i need some kind of software for engineering drawings with measurements, solidwoks sounds familiar as does autocad. im working for a guy that has all his CAD done elsewhere and is charged time for it..he wants me to learn it so it can be done in house and emailed over to the laser cutters speeding the whole process up
RichR
Premium Member

9th May 11 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so its all 2D then if its for cutting? A basic 2D package would suit in that case however, as its commercial, everything is going to be costly.

half the reason outsourcing costs so much is that the license and purchase cost of CAD packages is so bloody much and tis a risk to run a pirate copy.

If you want to U2U over exactly what it is that you have done and the costs associated, I could look into costing options for you to reduce the overall third party costs
RichR
Premium Member

9th May 11 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, and I can have it turned out in whatever file format you want to a point
mwg

9th May 11 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can try that AutoCAD LT trial for free for 30 days. May as well give it a go for free. I've used it before to see what the new versions have been like when work has been looking to upgrade.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » CAD 23 database queries in 0.0153980 seconds