corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bodywork repairs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bodywork repairs
jibjob

User status: Offline
6th Jun 11 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of my friends crashed into the side of a Skoda Felicia S-reg but said she would pay for the repairs out of her pocket rather than go through insurance. The guy she crashed into agreed and went off to get body shop quotes.

The damage she did was:
Dent to front drivers side wing
Dent to door

The bloke is trying to claim she also caused the windscreen to crack yet the impact has only slighlty bent both the wing and door so surely wouldn't be enough to crack the screen?

Thats the honest full extent of the damage. There's no structural damage, nothing beind the wing is damaged, the wheels are still straight and true and aren't even marked, the sill is undamaged. He came back with a quote for £500?! A brand new front wing is £28, i've not valued up a door/door skin yet but the guy himself said the door can be fixed just by pulling the dents out so how is that even close to being £500?

I get the feeling he's trying to pull a fast one and will just pocket the money and not get the repairs done. Now i can get the repairs done to a high standard at a friends body shop for a lot less so this is the route she would prefer to go down, but is there anything stopping him saying he wants to use the body shop he got a quote from? And is there any way of disputing the windscreen damage without him trying to go through her insurance?

I just want to make sure she pays for the damage but doesn't get ripped off but also he gets a high standard of repairs.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

6th Jun 11 at 15:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£500 sounds right
end of the day it is entirely up to the owner of the car where it goes to be repaired as he wasnt at fault.
with regard to payment ay the bodyshop directly, thats what most people do with me when they are aying for other peoples damage. they pay then i start repairs.

with regard to the screen crack it can happen, just phone the bodyshop who did the quote.
in all honesty though not alot you can do other than go through insurance

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
jibjob

6th Jun 11 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the advice mate. I guess its just a case of her seeing how far she can push the price down until he says no more.

I'm guessing the windscreen is just one of those things that if he's feeling generous might let it slide if he's not then she'll just have to pay it.

I'll get a written quote from my mates bodyshop and just do all the prep work myself to save her a bit of money.
Gazsport

6th Jun 11 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does sound about right tbh. Alot of decent bodyshops are now charging anywhere between £200-£300 per panel! If the cost of the screen is what's driving the price up then she could always offer to pay his insurance exscess for him to claim for a new screen. Usually about £50 isn't it?
jibjob

6th Jun 11 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah that's a fair point i completely forgot about doing that! Nice one mate.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jun 11 at 16:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats cheap imo, she has no leg to stand on to push anything down either tbh
jibjob

6th Jun 11 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah she doesn't but in all fairness if it happened to you then you wouldn't want to be paying any more than you have to if you can get it done to the same standard but cheaper elsewhere.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jun 11 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id be gutted aswell mate, in fact it did happen to me went into the back of a honda couldnt see any damage at all said id rather pay for any myself, came back that he needed a whole lower lip on the rear valance, 600 quid, i had to pay it, couldnt argue with anything

[Edited on 06-06-2011 by Steve]
jibjob

6th Jun 11 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ouch! I get what you mean though and she has no objections to paying for the damage I think its more about trying to spend as little as possible getting it back to how it was. £500 for an S reg Skoda Felicia to be fixed would class it as a right off if it went through insurance more than likely.
DanCobb

6th Jun 11 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds about right to me!
fazza

6th Jun 11 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy him another skoda...

Could probably buy 2 of them for the £500
jibjob

6th Jun 11 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I said that to her! Buy him another Felicia and then a convert another one into a track toy for him, then still have enough change for a takeaway and a few beers
Bobber123

6th Jun 11 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at the end of the day though, if someone crashed into my car and offerd to pay, i would only take it to a bodyshop i personally knew was spot on and was going to do the job perfect, and i would deffinatly not let a friend of the person who crashed into my car do the prep work and then hand it over to a bodyshop i never knew, i dont know if anyone else shares my oppinion on this but thats just what i would do, and if the person who crashed into me started to haggle the price i would just go through insurance. at the end of the day, if your daft enough to crash into someone and pay out your own pocket you just have to agree with the price asked imo.
nathy_87

6th Jun 11 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bobber123
at the end of the day though, if someone crashed into my car and offerd to pay, i would only take it to a bodyshop i personally knew was spot on and was going to do the job perfect, and i would deffinatly not let a friend of the person who crashed into my car do the prep work and then hand it over to a bodyshop i never knew, i dont know if anyone else shares my oppinion on this but thats just what i would do, and if the person who crashed into me started to haggle the price i would just go through insurance. at the end of the day, if your daft enough to crash into someone and pay out your own pocket you just have to agree with the price asked imo.

Nail on the head tbh.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Bodywork repairs 23 database queries in 0.0097010 seconds