corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fisichella named winner of Brazilian Grand Prix

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fisichella named winner of Brazilian Grand Prix
Tiger

User status: Offline
11th Apr 03 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jordan's Giancarlo Fisichella has belatedly been declared the winner of last Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix.

And the 30-year-old Rome-born driver has set his sights on more glory and actually standing on top of the podium for real.

Fisichella, who had originally been demoted to second place behind McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen at Interlagos, said: "I am very happy that the FIA and everybody recognises that I won the Brazilian Grand Prix.

"I already thought this was the case, and the team believed it straight away and then, in recent days, when the evidence was examined, we knew it was true and hoped it would become official.

"It was very difficult for me, with the confusion after the race, and I'm still disappointed that I didn't have my moment at the top of the podium.

"But I am pleased that it is clear now that I have won my first grand prix. I'm looking forward to more podiums and wins in the future."

Initially, last weekend at a rain-sodden Interlagos, it had seemed that Fisichella had won the prematurely stopped race.

However, the Italian lost out to current World Drivers' Championship leader Raikkonen in Sao Paolo.

But a timing fault has now been corrected and Fisichella is able to celebrate his maiden Grand Prix victory in what was his Silverstone-based Jordan team's 200th race.

It was the team's first win since the 1999 European Grand Prix and a delighted team boss Eddie Jordan said: "Initially we thought we had won it, but there was a misunderstanding. Fortunately this was put right.

"This is fantastic. We so desperately wanted to win that race. The right decision was made today"

Jordan added: "The race in Brazil was fabulously exciting. I'm happy the final twist in Paris was the right result, giving Fisichella the advantage.

"He's (Fisichella) going to be a happy boy. He has always been a huge talent."

The Brazilian Grand Prix had to be suspended 18 laps early after Renault's Fernando Alonso crashed into debris left by Jaguar's Mark Webber.

And it was decided that on the two-lap countback rule that Raikkonen, who had been leading on lap 53, was the winner on lap 55.

But, Fisichella swept past Raikkonen on lap 54 to take the lead and although bitterly disappointed, he sportingly accepted the stewards' decision as did team chief Jordan.

However, on Wednesday, the FIA, the sport's governing body, revealed there was evidence Fisichella had already started his 56th lap when the red flag ended the race, but this had not previously been known because of a timing error.

And, as a result, the race result has been amended and it is not only Fisichella and his team who will benefit.

David Coulthard is now just nine points behind his McLaren team-mate Raikkonen in the race to become world champion.

And record-breaking five-times world champion Michael Schumacher is now 16 points behind the Finn.

A statement from the FIA said: "At the request of the FIA, the stewards of the Brazilian Grand Prix reconvened at the FIA headquarters in Paris on April 11, 2003, under the provisions of Article 179(b) of the International Sporting Code.

"Having examined detailed records provided by the organisation responsible for timekeeping at the event, the stewards are satisfied that car no 11 (Fisichella) had crossed the line to complete 55 laps and started his 56th lap before the signal to stop the race was given.

"The race was therefore stopped on the 56th lap. As a consequence, under Article 154 of the Formula One Sporting Regulations, the race classification should be that at the end of lap 54."

And Raikkonen said of the decision: "I would like to congratulate Giancarlo and Jordan Grand Prix on their victory.

"As I only claimed my maiden win in the Malaysia Grand Prix a few weeks ago, I probably remember better than anyone how special it is and I know that Giancarlo will be very happy.

"I'm sure that there will be more wins for Team McLaren Mercedes and myself in the future so I'm not too disappointed."

[Edited on 11-04-2003 by Tiger]
rod38

User status: Offline
11th Apr 03 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good that will wipe the smile from that
smirking ba5tard Ron Dennis (the feckin
menace)

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fisichella named winner of Brazilian Grand Prix 22 database queries in 0.0043271 seconds