corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How fast are E46 m3s?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How fast are E46 m3s?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
6th Jul 11 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The price of them these days is so low

Thing is, I know they should be quick, but I've never really seen one in the flesh go that fast. I'm a bit worried they're just too heavy.

For example, when I had a few bits on my s2000 (ecu, manifold, exhaust) I raced one off a set of lights at santa pod and was pulling away up to 110 - then driving back to the paddock he said 'Woah, thats goes alright doesn't it?' ...

Ok my car no longer has those bits on it any more, so I know an m3 would be quicker - but even so, I would've expected the m3 (if they're as quick as they should be) to go straight past.

Same way, I've seen them on top gear / fifth gear and they're clearly track weapons - but whenever I've actually seen one on track at a track day they've been slow and I've overtaken it (even in the days of my 106 gti).

Ultimately, how good are they on track?

[Edited on 11-07-2011 by Paul_J]
Wrighty

6th Jul 11 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big heavy aspirated boringness
sc0ott

6th Jul 11 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They look immense though.
Paul_J

6th Jul 11 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tiff says :
"Only M3 worth bothering about is the M3 CSL"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhPSS9fGvwM
Adam_B

6th Jul 11 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there only about 215 bhp per ton I think.
LeeM

6th Jul 11 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its about the overall package with an ///M
Ben G

6th Jul 11 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not a racing car, but is a capable car that will happily barrel down the autobahn at 155mph whilst carrying your weekly shopping, wife, 2 kids and a dog.
Rich H

6th Jul 11 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awaits To///M and Ja///Mbo

NovaGTE2

6th Jul 11 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It depends what you want if for really; i would say they feel quicker than an s2k in a straight line but nothing as sporty in the corners. Having said that as you have a track car i would have the m3 over the s2k for everyday combo of speed and comfort; also can be driven fast with less effort than the s2000; but MPG will be a lot worse!
antnee

6th Jul 11 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
Awaits To///M and Ja///Mbo

I see what you did there!
Paul_J

6th Jul 11 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NovaGTE2
It depends what you want if for really; i would say they feel quicker than an s2k in a straight line but nothing as sporty in the corners. Having said that as you have a track car i would have the m3 over the s2k for everyday combo of speed and comfort; also can be driven fast with less effort than the s2000; but MPG will be a lot worse!

Thats the thing, I like how the s2000 handles and I'm so used to driving it fast, that I can push it to the limit and still feel really safe. However, the s2000 just lacks a bit in top end speed / acceleration.

I was looking at turbo kits the other day for the s2000 but it's not really what I'm looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugyLtI2OAjs

Part of me is tempted to put bits back on the s2000 (ecu, exhaust, etc) and then strip it out / get the weight down, but it won't make a major difference.
sand-eel

6th Jul 11 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYKHB9wrBdc

Just get an M3 and turbo it
Ash_EP3

6th Jul 11 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've driven my stepdads e46 and was very impressed, they are a cracking all-rounder - well built, fast, comfortable, reliable etc....

They are fast, but not blisteringly quick... a friend of mine has an e46 with a miltek catback and has also driven my ep3 and reckons there will be nothing in it until 100mph which is fine by me

[Edited on 06-07-2011 by Ash_EP3]
sand-eel

6th Jul 11 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^The driver is fucking annoying "wooooooow shit did ya feeeeeel that?"....."yeah"
sand-eel

6th Jul 11 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh I think a 335i is faster in a straight line.
Jambo

6th Jul 11 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sensation of speed wasn't that great in the e46 my z3 felt far faster.

It will do 0-60 5.5secs and 155mph so not slow. It's not a race car, if you removed all the excess weight obviously it would go a lot faster. It's a very balanced car with immense levels of grip an awesome engine note and practicality.

Csl is considered one of the best front engined red cars ever. It's just got an additional 20odd bhp and is 100kgs lighter.

It's a drivers car. You will love it Paul.
Paul_J

6th Jul 11 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i'd love a CSL but it's not on the cards.
Eddx14xe

6th Jul 11 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0-60 in 5.5 seconds doesnt sound that fast, when 330D's do it in like 5.9seconds
Graham88

7th Jul 11 at 06:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think having an M3 isn't just about being fast though, if you have an M3 you don't need to go fast

I keep up with them in my car, there's nothing in it, but I'd have the M3 even if my car was faster, I love em
Novaneil

7th Jul 11 at 06:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello,

1st off I haven't owned an M3 but a good friend of mine does. And I have driven the car when it was standard/modified, helped modified it, been on track in and against it and also had plenty of motorway duels with it so I reckon I can comment on what the cars like (performance wise, and track wise as its been to the Ring twice (8min 46sec B-G) and countless other track days).

Car in question

Performance... Straightline speed the only modification this car has is to its Exhaust (Supersprint de-CAT's & Back box to be precise, as tuning these N/A is both expense and not very rewarding in terms of BHP gains).
This car also has an SMG gearbox. On the Motorway it is identical (and I mean identical) straightline speed to my 280bhp Astra Coupe from 70-160, off the mark its quicker (RWD obviously) but on the move there's nothing in it. This goes the same for a mates Phase 2 Astra VXR running just shy of 300bhp... same speed through the gears.
The M3 has shown an indicated 170 but GPS stated 162. However although it is geniunely only as quick as the Astra's it does "Feel" quicker due to the power delivery (smooth and very quick revving).
Unfortunetely it the weight of the thing that holds it back... bringing me onto handling.

Handling... I'll be honest, in factory trim with the standard 19's it felt... Not brilliant, you can really feel the weight, don't get me wrong it still handled well but just felt a bit wallowy and boat like when pushed... certainly didn't inspire the confidence I like in a car. But then again it is a 5 seater performance rep mobile and not a track day warrier.

So we turned our attention to addressing that...

One set of Bilstien Shocks, Spax springs, beefy KW ARB's front & Rear Plus a Geo setup later and WOW!!! What a difference

The car was tranformed! Precise, Agile, direct steering, little bodyroll but still drove perfect on bumpy roads! The weight is still there but you can really chuck it around now. Very impressed indeed (Oh and some 18" Rota Alloys went on at this stage which seemed to give a little more steering feel to the heavier 19's.

Ok after a Trip to the Ring and few Trackdays... It became apparent the car has a serious trackday flaw!! Brakes!!! (This goes for the CSL as well, which only uses slightly bigger stoppers).

The standard brakes are..... P@NTS when pushed on track, even with uprated Discs, Fluid and PAGID Blue pads after just a couple of Donington laps they were gone.

Now obviously being an M3 everything is FCUKIN expensive... As as the owner didn't want to spend big bucks we looked away from the usual AP setup for something a little cheaper. Which came up in the form of K-Sport (a mate had been running them on his RX7 for a while and liked them so the M3 owner invested).

Less than £1000 got him 345mm discs & 8 Pot front stoppers! Brand new!

One Ring trip later (including the GP circuit) and a few UK trackdays and he is very impressed! I haven't driven the car with these on yet but he rates them very highly, hasn't experienced any fade what so ever and plenty of "feel"

And thats about it.... sorry for the Essay, you asked the question so I thought i'd share my experiences of said car (cost 11k to buy by the way).
The CSL's are AWESOME! And are quite different to the normal M3 (Different suspension mounting points and such, not just a carbon roof, different tailgate and things others think about when they are mentioned). But you do pay a fair bit extra for it!

So to summarise If you want to take one on track regulary, I'd highly reccomend you modify it! Daily road driving its "ok" but don't expect to beat everything on the road... a decent cheaper tuned car will be as quick no problems!

My mates 8min 46sec Ring video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsQW8IvsIY4

And a look around his car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLG3fC0MQ98

And finally onboard at Donington

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLorNl8USpw

Cheers,

Neil

PS:

It now has a Fibreglass CSL Tailgate on it since the above pic was taken

[Edited on 07-07-2011 by Novaneil]
Ojc

7th Jul 11 at 06:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah like Graham my VXR used to keep up with them easily. Maybe even faster.

I would own one, but do factor in associated running costs because I know you like to run your cars on a shoestring
Ojc

7th Jul 11 at 06:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perfect review from Neil
BarnshaW

7th Jul 11 at 07:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have beaten all M3's i have come up against, they are not slow and the gears seem quite long but wasnt overally impressed for 340bhp odd or whatever they are
Graham88

7th Jul 11 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perfect review, cheers Neil!

I got dizzy watching the first bit of the Ring vid I LOVE how that sounds, bloody awesome, you've not helped my cravings at all. I would love a new shape one too though
Nath

7th Jul 11 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Tiff says :
"Only M3 worth bothering about is the M3 CSL"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhPSS9fGvwM

Probably found it easier to powerslide, seeing as thats all he ever does when testing a car.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How fast are E46 m3s? 22 database queries in 0.0165191 seconds