corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Looking at Classic Minis

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Looking at Classic Minis
Ricky352

User status: Offline
7th Jul 11 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone had any experience with th classic shape Mini? I've sort of been thinking about a new car and came across a couple of nice Minis on the internet. I'd possibly just be looking at the 1.0, will have to get a quote for the 1.3.

I really don't know much about them at all, what are they like for rust? Room? Reliability? etc

Saw one on Pistonheads with a x16xe on throttle bodies
SportBoy

7th Jul 11 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you like rust,no room and no reliability then they are the car for you .... the later ones were abit better on the reliability side tho.

ive allways fancied a 20xe one but while i have the corsa it just aint gonna happen.

[Edited on 07-07-2011 by SportBoy]
JM_16v

7th Jul 11 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im thinking of trading in my 340bhp mr2 for one with a bit of cash
Ricky352

7th Jul 11 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would probably be one of the later ones I was looking for, have been looking at ones from the 90's up really.

I was over in Stoke on Trent last week and was speaking to a fella with one with a Type R engine in the back.
Wrighty

7th Jul 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how about one with a yamaha R1 in the front? we can supply a full new front tubular subframe complete with shafts, wishbones, diff etc and it bolts straight in any standard mini..all you then need to do is source an engine and wire it. youl need the car first of course.
jr

7th Jul 11 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
how about one with a yamaha R1 in the front? we can supply a full new front tubular subframe complete with shafts, wishbones, diff etc and it bolts straight in any standard mini..all you then need to do is source an engine and wire it. youl need the car first of course.

we = promotive ?
JM_16v

7th Jul 11 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£££
Baskey

7th Jul 11 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The guy who sits opposite me races in the mighty mini cup. If you have any specific questions give ne a shout and I will ask him.
philip2

7th Jul 11 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive built a steel xe for a clubman mini for the 16v championship and that had quite a few nice mods so it was nice to work on, but its fooking tight to get in. and theres things like shortening back of oil pump for subframe, modified shafts etc.

on the sheels themselves...rear subframes go ever couple years or so. A panels rot, front panels, scuttle panel, light surrounds, floor pans and sills rot like hell.

ive had a couple of minis..1275 mayfair...best brakes ive ever had on any car...inc my evo now. would take so much abuse too and nippy to 70mph...awesome down lanes. also had a 1426cc clubby which cost too much for the gains but still went quite well.

get on 16vminiclub.co.uk or .com.

few lads have had bike engined minis and there ok, just depends whether you want to revs to absolute tits off them
Gary
Premium Member

7th Jul 11 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:

we = promotive ?

Was just thinking that.

Would go for Pro-motive over Zcars RWD any day.
harvey_1066

7th Jul 11 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this was my mini when just before i sold it, it was a 1L auto that i bought as a project to do up and sell on, had black painted bonnet stripes and a black roof

[Edited on 07-07-2011 by harvey_1066]
Jed D

7th Jul 11 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a mate who was mini mad, he had 4 at one point, never seen any of them on the road though

they do look quite nice, i always fancied one with a decent vauxhall 8v lump in
RichR
Premium Member

7th Jul 11 at 14:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is my mate's current car collection - daily driver is a lwb high top Transit

taylorboosh

7th Jul 11 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your mate sounds cool
RichR
Premium Member

7th Jul 11 at 15:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

living at home with your Mum and Dad and having no GF to spend all your money ftw

Seriously though, He's a DJ and in a band as the drummer; his day job is making stickers
Ricky352

7th Jul 11 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks good Harvey, don't think i could go for an auto though.
billy_t15

7th Jul 11 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a 1990 998, the most fun you can have on four wheels!
just fitted a set of 7x13s, handles amazing
tuning is cheap and easy too
Ben J

7th Jul 11 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only proper mechanical knowledge I have is with Classic Mini's. Used to help my old man do engine rebuilds on his Autotest/Sprint mini back in the day.

I'll be having a fast road/track mini in the next few years. None of this V-Tec/bike engine shite tho. A tweeked A-series only.

[Edited on 07-07-2011 by Ben J]
Ricky352

7th Jul 11 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just tried insurance quotes for a 1.3 Classic Mini Cooper, talking £2,500 minimum

Ill have to find a nice 1.0
Ronson

7th Jul 11 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love a 16XE powered one, a 20XE powered one would be a bit too mad I reckon, would be a fucking handful in my opinion. 16XE with a few mods like head work/inlet/cams and exhaust would be perfect imo.
johnny86
Premium Member

8th Jul 11 at 02:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a mini for sale...

C the,full respray inside and out 3 months ago, metro 1.3 rebuilt engine,nice little kit smoothed in,delocked, lowered,10inch minilites,centre exit exhaust,clubman buckets,sparco harnesses £4300
Wrighty

8th Jul 11 at 06:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:

we = promotive ?

tubular not a modified mini one. comes in cheaper then pro motive too
Ronson

8th Jul 11 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnny86
I've got a mini for sale...

C the,full respray inside and out 3 months ago, metro 1.3 rebuilt engine,nice little kit smoothed in,delocked, lowered,10inch minilites,centre exit exhaust,clubman buckets,sparco harnesses £4300

Fucking how much?!?! Did you not mean £430?
johnny86
Premium Member

8th Jul 11 at 07:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope price was right £4300
Ronson

8th Jul 11 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by johnny86
Nope price was right £4300

I love the original Mini's but I wouldn't pay £4300 for one, maybe half that, is that how much they're worth now in good condition? Fuck me Daimo would have sold you an Astra VXR for not much more!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Looking at Classic Minis 22 database queries in 0.0198510 seconds