corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » On the subject of oil sumps...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author On the subject of oil sumps...
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Jul 11 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My favourite subject lately...

Can someone please explain to me what a "dry" sump is and why it's better than a normal one?

I keep seeing people talk about this from time to time and I've no idea what this is!
Jed D

8th Jul 11 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

havent got a clue, sounds a bit like quick fit charging money for dry air in your tyres

[Edited on 08-07-2011 by JedDy]
Steve
Premium Member

8th Jul 11 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oil is stored in a seperate compartment and pumped into the engine, oil falls into a shallow sump then gets pumped back to its chamber where its cooled etc
Steve
Premium Member

8th Jul 11 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

advantages are apart from the cooling, that you dont suffer starvation under heavy cornering etc
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

8th Jul 11 at 19:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And it allows the engine to sit lower, meaning the car can have a lower centre of gravity. That's not normally a reason for modification though - that normally takes place in race cars or caterham-esque cars.
Sam
Premium Member

8th Jul 11 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do they have to be custom made for your car or can you buy off the shelf kits etc.?

And what sort of prices are they?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

8th Jul 11 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot more expensive than your £485 quote

You'll need a separate oil tank as well, so you'd have to find somewhere to store it and they run all the hosing through the car to it as well.
Sam
Premium Member

8th Jul 11 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh OK... Well thought I'd ask anyway as I wasn't sure what they were exactly!

Probably no point getting such a kit for a standard V6
ed

8th Jul 11 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can mount the engine lower due to a low profile sump.
The scavange pumps can run dry and wont starve the engine of oil because the pressure pump will continue to pump oil as long as there is some in the reservoir.
You don't get problems with oil frothing as the oil isn't sloshing about in a sump.
You can get better cooling because you have more oil in the system.

Not really things you tend to worry about on a road car
ed

8th Jul 11 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've also got a bit of fail safe-ness going in because you'd normally run multiple scavange pumps too.
lee303

8th Jul 11 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

another benefit is that the scabenge pumps are efficient enough so you can run the sump under a vacuum thereby getting rid of losses due to the pumping effect from the piston movement, and the crank doesn’t skim any oil as it can in a wet sump, which also looses power, and they can generally cope with high revs better than o/e pumps

but the main benefit is the protection from oil starvation during cornering/heavy braking, the cooling effect of the remote tank can actually be a pain in the ass on cold days on a road journey!

[Edited on 08-07-2011 by lee303]
danny_dub

8th Jul 11 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To stop loosing oil in our track 205 me and the old man put a baffled sump on. Alot cheaper than converting to dry sump!
lee303

10th Jul 11 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

baffled sumps work very well, but don’t stop the o/e oil pump cavitating past 7750rpm like a dry sump does, in which case the price is a little easier to justify

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » On the subject of oil sumps... 22 database queries in 0.0133312 seconds