corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Roundabout query

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Roundabout query
mwg

User status: Offline
12th Jul 11 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On my way home from work I come off a dual carriageway, you head down a steep 2 lane slip road to a roundabout. Majority of traffic (me included) is going about 3/4 of the way around to the 3rd turning so queue in the right hand lane.

Occasionally the traffic is backed up that much in the right hand lane on the slip road that it seems a bit dangerous to sit in the right lane as you can be sat almost on the dual carriageway and wondering if someone is going to come crashing in to the back of you. So quite often people go down the left lane past the traffic queuing in the right lane, I do this sometimes too. There are no road marking or signs to say you need to be in a certain lane like you get on some larger roundabouts.

You always seem to get really shitty looks off people for doing it and people go out of there way to try to get ahead of you or block you off as you go round the roundabout if they have been queuing in the right hand lane.

Is it a major offence or even wrong to do it? I'll keep doing it either way if I feel the end of the queue is too close to the dual carriageway but I'm just curious if these people have any right to get on their high horses or not
Jake

12th Jul 11 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the 3rd exit a dual carrage way?
mwg

12th Jul 11 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it is
Jake

12th Jul 11 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you only get shitty looks off people that didnt think of doing it themselves
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
12th Jul 11 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sure there are not markings on the road?

Even if the lanes are not marked with their destination, there would normally be arrows to dictate which exits are appropriate.

My first thoughts are that you'll probably have a left-only or left/straight on arrow in the nearside lane which would prohibit you from using that go to the exit that you want.

[Edited on 12-07-2011 by Ian]
mwg

12th Jul 11 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No arrows or any kind of markings
mwg

12th Jul 11 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can look for yourself if you go on this link and go on streetview.

Its the A591 southbound down on to the roundabout then 3rd turning on to the A590.

[Edited on 12-07-2011 by mwg]
Daveskater
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Google maps image of said roundabout?

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Daveskater
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Beaten to it

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jul 11 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Highway Code 186 is your man.

Just looking at the Streetview now, your exit is to the right (ie 9 o'clock from the entry point) so you should therefore be in the right land according to that guidance.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Signals and position.

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
you should not normally need to signal on approach
stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

As Ian said ^ that's what you want, right hand lane for turning right

[Edited on 12-07-2011 by Mike B]
mwg

12th Jul 11 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you get points or anything for going in the left lane?

People only do it because its dodgy sat at the back of the queue if its busy and you don't trust someone not to go in the back of you
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Jul 11 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't imagine it's worthy of points unless it was clear careless/dangerous driving which you would have to do more than just choose the wrong lane. There's no standalone code for disregarding bits of the HC. Although if you crash that's a bit of a gift to whoever you hit.

[Edited on 12-07-2011 by Ian]
mwg

12th Jul 11 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like to think the officer would use a bit of common sense and could see the reasoning behind it but who knows. Hopefully wont find out.

If traffic is flowing as normal I'm in the right hand lane. Just those odd occasions like tonight where the traffic is backed up that I go in the left lane. Then you get the look of death from people
Gary
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drive down almost to the bottom of slip road, stop, indicate right and bully your way in

Cant drive like a Nancy at rush hour. Everyone is an ignorant cunt.
Mike
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The look of death is because they see a prick going up the wrong lane to jump the queue and potentially add slightly more delay to their journey as said prick forces his way into the queue before joining the roundabout. They aren't thinking of the fact that you was at a standstill in the left-hand lane of what I suspect is a national speed limit dual carriageway which is obviously a risk to yourself and also potentially causing delay to the traffic remaining on the dual carriageway.

[Edited on 12-07-2011 by Mike B]
Ben G

12th Jul 11 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have the same problem here and everyone who lives in the area just goes down the left lane and nudges over to the right.

it's more dangerous sitting on a roundabout with a NSL speed limit than nudging into traffic doing 5-10mph.
mwg

12th Jul 11 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Drive down almost to the bottom of slip road, stop, indicate right and bully your way in

They don't let you in. I just drive on to the roundabout and merge in there. If they start being cunts and trying to not let me I just out accelerate them. I find it amusing how angry people get about it. Some of them look like they would be willing to crash their car in to yours if it meant stopping you from getting ahead of them, real mentalists.

If I'm in the right hand lane and someone comes down in the left lane as we join the roundabout I let them in as I know why they have done it.

Daveskater
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 20:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
The look of death is because they see a pr!ck with a red roof going up the wrong lane to jump the queue.

What Mike said, basically. People are assuming that you are just trying to jump the queue. You could probably get away with going round to your exit in the left lane as the exit you want has two lanes, but if someone wants to go off at the exit before yours (which in theory they wouldn't seeing as that's the road they've probably just come off of) they probably won't be best pleased seeing you in the way.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

12th Jul 11 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just drive where I like in my BMW, other road users can just gobble my welsh testies
Daveskater
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll probably get flamed, but the "German car driver" stereotype exists.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Gary
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:

They don't let you in. I just drive on to the roundabout and merge in there. If they start being cunts and trying to not let me I just out accelerate them. I find it amusing how angry people get about it. Some of them look like they would be willing to crash their car in to yours if it meant stopping you from getting ahead of them, real mentalists.

If I'm in the right hand lane and someone comes down in the left lane as we join the roundabout I let them in as I know why they have done it.

Sell the Mini and buy a van, you get away with murder.

I wouldn't let a mini infront of me tbh
Gary
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 21:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When did mr v-sport come back?
Daveskater
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To sell BMW Depos.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Mike
Premium Member

12th Jul 11 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mwg
quote:

Sell the Mini and buy a van, you get away with murder.

I wouldn't let a mini infront of me tbh

Luton vans are best, nothing like a bit of heavy duty looking bare metal to make people realise how much they appreciate their paintwork. I can get through London traffic quicker in a Luton van than in any car

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Roundabout query 23 database queries in 0.0130951 seconds