corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wanting a go at creating a website.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wanting a go at creating a website.
nathy_87

User status: Offline
17th Jul 11 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right it'll be my first time at doing this, and I havn't got any experience or that much knowledge of doing anything like this. I havn't got a clue on how java/flash works (if I need that). Should I give up now?

My aim was to create a website for my girlfriend's aunt's flower shop. With links that you press for example that shows the work that can be done etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Sam
Premium Member

17th Jul 11 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I wanted a website for my business (and I was serious about my business) I would pay someone that actually knew what they were doing.

If a website looks amateur, it gives off the impression that the business is also amateur - even if the business was very professional.

(no offence)

[Edited on 17-07-2011 by Sam]
nathy_87

17th Jul 11 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No offense taken Sam, I can clearly see wht your saying.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

17th Jul 11 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unless you get into php, asp there isnt much point
AndyKent

17th Jul 11 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a copy of photoshop, google 'flower retailers' and see what style of sites they have.

Get a few ideas together and see if you can come up with a design in photoshop. If you come up with something cool, then worry about turning it into a functioning site.

No point learning the technical crap if the design looks shit.
Toby
Premium Member

17th Jul 11 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if she values her business do not let her have you do it. no offence
Butler

17th Jul 11 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best way to learn is to just do it. I wouldnt take on a job when you know f all though.
pow
Premium Member

17th Jul 11 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus you lot whats wrong with giving it a go huh? She doesn't HAVE to use it lol.

Copy of dreamweaver, some basic tutorials and just play.

Everyone has to start somewhere FFS
ed

17th Jul 11 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo

Whaaa?
ed

17th Jul 11 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd almost recommend looking at Wordpress for what you want to do though. It could be a bit much to get your head around, but if you're determined then the results will be worth it
Gary
Premium Member

17th Jul 11 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Ed.

Wouldnt even attempt building something from scratch.
Ste
Premium Member

17th Jul 11 at 22:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Download a free template and have a play with it. see what changing different things does to it. It's then easy to change pictures and writing etc. It isn't easy to pick up and it takes ages, but it's worth a stab. if it looks shit then she can pay a pro to do it. Also worth a try is approaching web design students. they will do it cheaper and use it as part of their portfolio etc. Plus, they've already spent 3 years learning how to do it

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 08:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:

Whaaa?

Not a lot of point doing a full site in just html is there? best to learn html and then php/asp? no?
ed

18th Jul 11 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whaaaaaaaaa?
Dan
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hosting with a free domain name, Magento, template from where ever u find the best one. Most will install it for free.

Then just follow tutorials for what ever you would like to do/set up.

Thats how i did mine, i had no clue about what i was doing to begin, now im more than happy with it.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
pow
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:

Whaaa?

Not a lot of point doing a full site in just html is there? best to learn html and then php/asp? no?

Yes, loads of point. A simple, clean, works in all browsers html page with all the info I need would be fine. Keep it simple
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:

Whaaa?

Yes, loads of point. A simple, clean, works in all browsers html page with all the info I need would be fine. Keep it simple

But if he wants to get into webdesign i wouldnt just look at one coding language thats all im saying.
ed

18th Jul 11 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have no need to do anything server side then a static website will be more than satisfactory. Learning HTML, CSS and how to create nice graphics are the useful things someone can learn if they're trying to create a web page, plus, if you don't at least know how HTML and CSS work, your server side stuff isn't going to be a lot use.
nathy_87

18th Jul 11 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok thanks guys. I ahd a quick look on vistaprint, which sows me how and by the looks of things allows me to use it as a website, I'll keep looking round and take in what you've said and we'll see where it gets me.

thanks again.
Dan
Premium Member

18th Jul 11 at 16:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vistaprint sites ain't worth a wank lol.

Have a look at my site protectyourpiece.co.uk

I built that with no previous experience. Was fairly easy if you googled what u wanted to do

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us

New Poll