corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Franchises...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Franchises...
fazza

User status: Offline
20th Jul 11 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yo guys,

I currently work for a mobile phone company as a store manager near to plymouth. Over the last 12 months the company have been gradually giving the shops(approx 100 in total) a shop refit and are offering the stores for franchise. Up until now they have wanted a £15k down payment for the franchise whether you were working for the company or were an outsider...

They have now changed there mind and are offering the franchise scheme to company staff free of charge(without the down payment). It also seems they want a big push towards the franchise scheme and all that decide against the franchise scheme will more than likely be made redundant within the next 3 months.

What are peoples views towards franchises? I know some people say only the company makes any money and the franchisee does all the work for little gains, but there are also lots of successful franchises out there such as subway/mcdonalds etc...

Im very tempted to choose a store and dependant on rent/rates etc to make a good go of it
Colin

20th Jul 11 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to open a kfc in town, I reckon the fat jobless twats round here would make me rich beyond my dreams.

Not too sure about a mobile place tho, if the business is failing now then what difference can you make to turn it around??
Brett
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 12:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasn't it you that already owned a phone shop once upon a time?
Gary
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 12:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the phone company?
fazza

20th Jul 11 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go Mobile is the company.

Brett, I did own a franchise with JAG Communications but the franchise costs were 20% of anything we sold and with the store costs etc there wasnt much left over. (plus at JAG we could only sell orange)

Go Mobile bought out JAG about a year ago and have access to all the networks plus the monthly franchise cost is only £400 plus vat no matter how many phones we sell. That also includes our POS material etc aswell.

Gary
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be asking what advertising they are planning on doing for you. TV, Billboards, e c etc
Brett
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just out of curiosity, why does it have to be a franchise? I've never heard of JAG or Go mobile (maybe I should've, dunno). Why can't you setup your own and save the cost?
LeeM

20th Jul 11 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seems win-win. take on the franchise and become your own boss entirely, it wont cost you anything and theyre refitting it for you. if you're right in your suspicion you'll only have to find a new job anyway
s4k1b

20th Jul 11 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what are your margins? projections?
fazza

20th Jul 11 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

networks wont deal with you as a one man band brett. need to have atleast 15 shops really for them to even talk to you.

Go Mobile have approx 100 shops across the country, although most are in the south of the country
Brett
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, makes sense
LeeM

20th Jul 11 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I want to open a kfc in town, I reckon the fat jobless twats round here would make me rich beyond my dreams.

i want to do a burgerking, theres only 2 in blackpool and none within a 20 mile radius of blackpools town centre, the 2 in town are on the prom (no parking at all) and within the pleasure beach (costs £5+ just to get in) then the closest ones are in service stations and stuff. i reckon theres the potential to make money out of it
Brett
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing with Burger King is, everyone says how great it is and how much they love it over McDonalds, but it certainly doesn't show. Every BK's I know is dead or closed down.
fazza

20th Jul 11 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats exactly what im thinking lee.

Shop rent = approx 1200
shop rates = approx 500
Franchise costs = 400

Thats the rough monthly figures before trading, obviously stock etc will vary month by month.
Gary
Premium Member

20th Jul 11 at 13:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fazza

Shop rent = approx 1200
shop rates = approx 500
Franchise costs = 400

Thats the rough monthly figures before trading, obviously stock etc will vary month by month.

Youd have to buy your initial stock i'm guessing?

fazza

20th Jul 11 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if burgerking did big tasty i would be there!

for now though mcdonalds have the edge for me. only ever go there when the big tasty is on

fazza

20th Jul 11 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They would set me up a credit limit gary to which I would use to buy stock yes, and that would be paid on a 30day account with them
spencer88

20th Jul 11 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fazza

Shop rent = approx 1200
shop rates = approx 500
Franchise costs = 400

+Staff Wages.
+Bills- Elec, gas etc.
+Accountant if needed
Cavey

20th Jul 11 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't help with mobile phone situations, but the McD's in Crewe were franchised to one guy, he was supposedly making 6 figures a year from them.

This was in the day of unhealthy food being ok for people before the government decided to fuck everything up though
Colin

20th Jul 11 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a Facebook page with thousands of likes begging for a kfc to open in my town. Closest ones a 25 min drive. I know it would be a hit!!
fazza

20th Jul 11 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wages would be my own. I would do my own books/vat returns etc.

Bills will be approx £150 a month for phone, water and electric(only a small shop) and I would not employ anyone to begin with
fazza

20th Jul 11 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spencer you must have heard of Go mobile/JAG
Twiggy

20th Jul 11 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love BK, There is none locally to anyone though

They need to get onto the retail parks like maccys have done.

[Edited on 20-07-2011 by Twiggy]
LeeM

20th Jul 11 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im off the maccies
Colin

20th Jul 11 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think I've ever set foot in a mobile shop that's not been owned by a service provider. Are they really going to turn profit? Think you need to question the reason there giving the franchises away else threatening closure, it's obvious to me the reasons probably because it's dead in the water. I'd imagine the majority of phone sales are online nowadays, I've bought my last 3 online anyway. The local highstreets fucked, do you really want to buy into that?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Franchises... 22 database queries in 0.0122271 seconds