corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What's your job and what job what would you prefer?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What's your job and what job what would you prefer?
Rob B

User status: Offline
4th Aug 11 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interested to see if people on here are in a job they enjoy and can see themselves carrying forward into future years or is there something else you're training or aiming towards.

Currently I'm a Data Analyst Engineer for a Clio Cup and GT3 team, I lucked into as such as it was my University placement and they decided to keep me on. If i didn't have that i don't think i would of been able to get a job in motorsport.

My problem is i only work at race weekends as that's what the job requires.

In future i'd like to start up my own retail company selling car tuning parts and maintaining customers cars or get a job with an established motorsport/tuning company in retail/marketing.

Would also like to go into a full time engineering post but don't feel i have the knowledge or expereince required.

I've also considered:

Doing a Catia course
Accounting
Estate agent

Gary
Premium Member

4th Aug 11 at 13:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no idea what i actually want to do for the rest of my life tbh
mwg

4th Aug 11 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd prefer to be a millionaire and not have to work another day for the rest of my life.
fazza

4th Aug 11 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob B
get a job with an established motorsport/tuning company in retail/marketing.

Shit money in retail unless its your business really, but then with that comes added risk etc.

Im currently a store manager for a mobile phone shop, im in the process of buying the franchise on my local store. It should be mine by the 1st September

Tom

4th Aug 11 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I’m a market research analyst, which wasn’t exactly a dream career just sort of fell into it. I started off as a trainee at a large insurance company, did a stint as an office junior and had several roles including handling commercial insurance complaints, marketing assistant, research executive and then got sacked I then took a job with some ex colleagues who had started their own research agency locally at the end of 2007 and have somehow managed to turn myself into a vital cog in the machine.

I can’t see myself ever moving into another industry due to having to retrain, and therefore having to give up the wages. I would love to have a career involving cars but in reality I don’t know anything that anyone else doesn’t know so that’s a bit of a non starter

All in all, in view of not having any other career dreams, I’m happy enough with my current career as it’s quite flexible, doesn’t require any weekend work, pays quite decently and I’m important enough to feel secure. Plus the people I work with are decent and I’ve got some very good share options which’ll come in handy one day!
nathy_87

4th Aug 11 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently Tech Admin/Admin Assistant.

Want to do; Driving either Lorry/ambulance/polic etc.
Fro

4th Aug 11 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently doing accounts/supervising data admin. Got into it like you did whilst on work experience at school, they offered me a job whilst at college so quit and started here nearly 8 years ago. Currently studying to be a chartered accountant.

what I'd like to do: something more along the lines of IT/programming kind of thing.

thinking of finishing my ACCA studies then going into financial software side of things.

But in all honestly my mind wanders about my career choice all the time. Some days i want to jack it in and go into business with dad doing salvage/recovery then other days im happy staying here.
Graham88

4th Aug 11 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work on Signalling on London Underground. I started when I was 19 and I'm here for life tbh. I love the job, love getting my hands dirty and quite often it's very interesting going down some tunnels. Except when it's hot, wow! Pay is good and the only way is up from where I am, so it can only get better!
Rob B

4th Aug 11 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I feel like applying for some of these engineering companies that i know i could do the job at hand given a months training.

Just go into the interview, say i'll work for free for a month to learn the job at hand... Wander if that will work
Gary
Premium Member

4th Aug 11 at 14:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I feel like applying for some of these engineering companies that i know i could do the job at hand given a months training.

Just go into the interview, say i'll work for free for a month to learn the job at hand... Wander if that will work

Doubt it when they can get someone with plenty experience.
spencer88

4th Aug 11 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Development Surveyor for a Property Development Company.

Rather: F1 Driver.
James

4th Aug 11 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lead Analyst Developer.

My realistic dream job is something like a financial risk analyst or to just be a senior manager in technology at a bank.

Unrealistic dream job is Top Gear presenter.
Rob B

4th Aug 11 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:

Doubt it when they can get someone with plenty experience.

Exactly, so how do you get in! Seems impossible.
Gary
Premium Member

4th Aug 11 at 14:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Re-train.

What sort of engineering specifically?
Fro

4th Aug 11 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
I work on Signalling on London Underground. I started when I was 19 and I'm here for life tbh. I love the job, love getting my hands dirty and quite often it's very interesting going down some tunnels. Except when it's hot, wow! Pay is good and the only way is up from where I am, so it can only get better!

Being a passenger isnt much better with the heat trust me
Graham88

4th Aug 11 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I can imagine I work on Central Line, so errrrr, avoid it
mwg

4th Aug 11 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

London Underground kind of interests me for some geeky reason I work in civil & structural engineering so I guess its that side of me creeping in
Rob B

4th Aug 11 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Re-train.

Motorsport Engineering, i have a degree in that field as well as working with Pyro for the last 12 months, I saw on Formula 1 they use the exact same Wintax system as we do on our Clios albeit with different inputs, i know i can do that but getting into it is a different ball game.
A2H GO

4th Aug 11 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Project Analyst for a financial institution.

Realistic goal: Project Manager - Business Leader

Dream goal: Run my own business. Just not good enough at anything that will earn me more than I do now.
Gary
Premium Member

4th Aug 11 at 14:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Re-train.

Motorsport Engineering, i have a degree in that field as well as working with Pyro for the last 12 months, I saw on Formula 1 they use the exact same Wintax system as we do on our Clios albeit with different inputs, i know i can do that but getting into it is a different ball game.

Is your degree actually Msport engineering or a BSc in it?
R Lee

4th Aug 11 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to be a popstar
Gary
Premium Member

4th Aug 11 at 14:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by R Lee
I want to be a popstar

Possible.

Lilly allen was supposedly a drug dealer before she was famous.
R Lee

4th Aug 11 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't actually sell drugs though. Its my internet alter ego

Does that mean I can only be an internet popstar, like Numa Numa guy?

Gary
Premium Member

4th Aug 11 at 15:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could maybe push to becoming a local celebrity by singing on your townhall steps with Tomy's My First Karaoke machine/
Lynny

4th Aug 11 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love my job, it's literally my dream. I'm manager of an equestrian centre, spend all day looking after horses

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What's your job and what job what would you prefer? 22 database queries in 0.0146191 seconds