corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » uni

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author uni
edd1.0

User status: Offline
12th Aug 11 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello anyone else on here currently a student at uni and living away from home ?

im going uni next month and currently shitting myself

anyone else in the same situation ?
im just worried how im going to afford it

Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

12th Aug 11 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

student loans, credit cards, you will be paying for it for years to come

if im anyone to go by
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

12th Aug 11 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you only live once. if you don't enjoy your uni days you will regret it trust me
Simon

12th Aug 11 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just done 6 years of it

What are you shitting yourself about?
antnee

12th Aug 11 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in the same situation, went into halls.

My flat was really good (except a random 3rd year student!) we all got on, we are living together this year except for one guy.

Just talk to anyone and everyone, you will meet loads of people from all different backgrounds. Most important thing is to have a laugh! We messed around and did so many things this year in our flat, from one of the guys sweet talking the salesmen at the vaux garage so we could get some full size cardboard cut outs of Potter, Hermione and Jame Dean. We had flour fights, cooked a roast dinner, went to sea world, had loads of movie nights, singstar, went out for meals together, loads of pranks. 2 of us blew up 200 ballons for someones birthday suprise, it goes on!

Money terms, you getting a maintenance loan? Are you or your parents paying for accommodation?
edd1.0

12th Aug 11 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right i feel better now , my dads paying my accomadation but im still getting a maintance loan but its onli bare minimum , becuase my parents have good paid jobs but they also have 6 children to look after and alot of out goings etc so i dont expect to go crying to them when i run outa of money .

ive not been to school for 4 years which also worries me about work etc but im only doing a foundation degree so hopfully should be ok

i was just wondering how people coped ? im used to earning my own money and living at home so having a nice disposable income . I plan to get a job when im down there but i cant get looking until i get my student card and course details etc

one minute im buzzing and can't wait and one minute im worrying i think i will be ok when i get there though

i also need to learn to spell again haha
antnee

12th Aug 11 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much are you getting? I got about £1500 a term, which is usually about 10weeks.

I struggled money wise, but thats because in the first term I went mental was out at least 5 times a week for the first 5-6weeks, spending around £200 a week. Then 2nd term I bought a car cos I crashed my other one, so struggled as I was selling parts to get the money back.

This year I know whats what, so should be alright (plus I get more money!). Have a look around for charities and trust funds which offer grants, I've applied to 2, getting 2.3k a year off one, just received 1k off the other.
jay.jay

12th Aug 11 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What foundation degree are you doin?
edd1.0

12th Aug 11 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okk thanks theese trust funds do i look for whilst at uni or before ? business at uni college birghmingham
Chris x

12th Aug 11 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guess im one of the lucky ones.

Work pay me a decent wage, and have paid for my Foundation Degree which I have done day release.

Handed my notice in the other week though and am doing the top up course so I get a Hons degree full time for a year. Thing im gonna stuggle $£$£$£
edd1.0

12th Aug 11 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that turned out alright then , im planning to top up after 2 years , i probably could of got into my local uni and stayed at home kept my job part time etc , but i like the idea of living in the city and the indepence
tom130691
Premium Member

12th Aug 11 at 22:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after year one you will hate home and not want to go back
LeeM

12th Aug 11 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im 24 and i start uni this year. im also a bit worried. im getting the full grant/loan buit have to pay accomodation out of it leaving me £57 a week left of my loan which i should be able to manage on if i can find a 10 hour part time job
Ste
Premium Member

13th Aug 11 at 00:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's wrong with parents starting trust funds when their children are born to pay for uni? Wouldn't need to take a loan then

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
edd1.0

13th Aug 11 at 01:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think my dad started a trust fund but once i left school i had no intention of going uni i became a mechanic so some of that money was used to pay for a toolbox and tools for me :S , my dads paying my accomadation but i dont exactly know if its coming out a trust fund or his own pocket i just dont want to put a financial strain on my family which i dont think im doing , but my parents never really talk about money
Jamie Walby

13th Aug 11 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee

cooked a roast dinner

WHOA!!! You crazy students!!!
pow
Premium Member

13th Aug 11 at 09:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My sis and her 5 flatmates have a full blown roast every Sunday!

Don't go, turns 99% of people into instant cunts :zipsupflamesuit:
Simon

13th Aug 11 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by edd1.0
okk thanks theese trust funds do i look for whilst at uni or before ? business at uni college birghmingham

You're going to have to work on that spelling of Birmingham But brum is a good place to be at uni, I did a foundation art degree there
edd1.0

13th Aug 11 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yehh i know my spelling of alot of words is awful lol
Carl

13th Aug 11 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

99% of people will be in the same boat, so will be friendly and willing to make friends new friends. My advice would be to make as many mats as possible at the start, don't just latch on to the first people you see as if they turn out to be weirdos you'll be stuck!
Matty W

13th Aug 11 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

off to uclan in preston in september doing foundation motorsports. its not too far to travel for me though so i can live at home and drive in.
went to the bank this morning to get my account changed over to a student account ( intreset free overdraft )
ed

13th Aug 11 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brum's a good place to go for uni

Try to budget your loan, you probably wont in the end () but then at least you ought to have time to do a bit of work on the side of your studies
LeeM

13th Aug 11 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by music1990
off to uclan in preston in september doing foundation motorsports. its not too far to travel for me though so i can live at home and drive in.
went to the bank this morning to get my account changed over to a student account ( intreset free overdraft )

fuckers knocked me back on that yesterday, failed the credit check so now i need to get on experian or somethin and find out why because ive always paid everything.

i was gonna go preston or lancatser to do motosport but chose liverpool in the end to do mechanical
jay.jay

13th Aug 11 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im doin foundation motorsport too
antnee

14th Aug 11 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by edd1.0

Look for them now, they have different closing dates.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » uni 23 database queries in 0.0167689 seconds