corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Website help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Website help
Tom G

User status: Offline
25th Aug 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to set up a website, Just to advertise our service etc. So dont need any puchasing etc.
I presume wordpress is okay for this? probably about 6/7 pages in total. Also need mailboxes too, but i guesss thats set up through the hosting company?

Anything I've overlooked, should look into? It's an VA company btw as we already do existing work but looking to go bigger.
Worrying about it's an over saturated market but we'll see what we can do...
AdZ9

25th Aug 11 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you need to update it regularly i would forget about Wordpress and just get a HTML site made.

Emails will come with the hosting, only thing you want to check is the Bandwidth per month limit and the hosting limit. If it's not going to get much traffic then it doesn't matter too much
Tom G

25th Aug 11 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdZ9
Unless you need to update it regularly i would forget about Wordpress and just get a HTML site made.

Emails will come with the hosting, only thing you want to check is the Bandwidth per month limit and the hosting limit. If it's not going to get much traffic then it doesn't matter too much

Thing is, that i'd like to have a dabble anyway. Unless you know what you're doing with HTML it will look shit. Where word press is a little easier i heard?
Brett
Premium Member

25th Aug 11 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People always make out it's such a big deal to make a standard website.

It really is as simple as drawing exactly what you want in photoshop, then using the slice tool and the damn thing will code all the HTML for you! You just need to be clever with your slices where you'd want text, etc. then delete images and modify it in Dreamweaver after.

I do also think wordpress would be fine for what you're after. Not sure why it'd only be worth it if it was being regularly updated.
Tom G

25th Aug 11 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I've used Dreamweaver once years ago and we only got shown how to do the tables
John

25th Aug 11 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done a couple of wordpress sites recently, it's quite good but you'll need to do a bit of reading

I just got a template then you can edit it so much through the interface, I also had to find the files I wanted to edit certain images myself though.
Dom

25th Aug 11 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd use wordpress, purchase a $30 template and mod to suit your needs. And unless data is constantly changing on the site use the static page plugin for performance.
Creating/design a static site is fine but majority of sites now are CMS based, so it's a worth while skill knowing how to design a site based around one.

As for mailboxes, majority of hosts give you a control panel (cPanel/Plesk etc) that allows you to add POP/IMAP boxes to your domain - literally a few clicks to set them up. Although note that mailbox sizes (control panel files, backups, logs etc also) eat into your storage allowance ie: you have 10GB of storage, five 250MB mailboxes will eat up ~1.2GB etc etc.

[Edited on 25-08-2011 by Dom]
Tom G

25th Aug 11 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for all the replies. What hosting companies would you recommend?
Dom

25th Aug 11 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom G
Cheers for all the replies. What hosting companies would you recommend?

Tsohost or Vidahost, both UK hosting, prices are really good and support is brilliant. I use them both for a lot of my clients and haven't had any issues apart from the fire at the Bluesquare datacentre a few months back which wasn't a fault of their own.
Just don't fall for unlimited storage/bandwidth hosts, like Heart, as it's a load of betty (storage is cheap, bandwidth in the UK however is very expensive) and there tends to be strict limitations in the T&Cs or they leave it so open that they can terminate your account whenever they want.

For domains use who ever you want/is the cheapest; i use 1&1 although i'd probably stay clear if i was purchasing a load now (control panel is cack and slow as hell, support is shite etc), or 123-reg. Namecheap.com is good if you want any American TLDs (.com/.net) as they are cheap - £6 a year instead of £10 with UK registrars.
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Aug 11 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also vote for Vidahost, 10% off with this coupon - CS10HOST

[Edited on 25-08-2011 by Ian]
Sam
Premium Member

25th Aug 11 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hosting - United Hosting. Not cheap but super reliable, fast, support is good and you can choose whether your website is hosted on a UK or USA based server.

Domains - Domain Monster. Cheap(ish) but easy to use website and good support, also UK based.
Tom G

25th Aug 11 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks! Registered my domain today with go daddy, first one that appeared. Just looking at vidahost and il have to add the named servers to the host etc. Il have a look at it tomorrow, must be straight forward
Dom

25th Aug 11 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom G
Thanks! Registered my domain today with go daddy, first one that appeared. Just looking at vidahost and il have to add the named servers to the host etc. Il have a look at it tomorrow, must be straight forward

There will be an option to change your domains DNS in the Go Daddy's control panel, just enter the hosts nameservers. Then just need to leave it to propagate which can take anything from a few minutes to 24hrs.

New Poll