corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Vectra VXR's...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vectra VXR's...
djgritt
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Sep 11 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got any experience of them?

They are one of the things I am considering to get soon...

Whether it is the 255 or 280PS model doesn't really bother me - I'd be getting it mapped and they map to the same it seems, only downside I can think of about the 255 instead of the 280 is that it wouldn't come with the improved suspension setup.
LeeM

14th Sep 11 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

isnt road tax obscene?
corsa_breeze88

14th Sep 11 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the power steering pump gets noisey even tho the fluid level is the slightest bit below the mark, have to keep the level at the top exact all the time, common problem, expensive car to run for tax and petrol, 280 even with the upgraded suspension doesnt handle great, coilovers with adjustable dampers are needed, they dont have good traction off the mark either and they go threw tyres rightly

[Edited on 14-09-2011 by corsa_breeze88]
djgritt
Premium Member

15th Sep 11 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
isnt road tax obscene?

Meh, thats fine
Jambo

15th Sep 11 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like them and they are exceptional VFM. Evo think they are good, meant to be a missile in a straight line and the revised edition is meant to be quite a good setup if you can see past the clarkson reviews.
harrisp

15th Sep 11 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How long until someone who has learnt everything they know about cars from top gear to come along and tell you how shit they are

I'm a big fan of them, seem a very rare sight though.
LeeM

15th Sep 11 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you do seem to be getting a lot for your money with these now. if running costs arent an issue then go for it
deanmcreynolds26

15th Sep 11 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i took one out for a test drive last week and was impressed with it, they just offered me a trade in i wasnt happy with so left it..
Twiggy

15th Sep 11 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I alway think about the understeer burn outs Mr C was doing on topgear.

But if you went into a corner too fast in a powerfull FWD it will do the same.....

Want one!
Corsa_Sport21

15th Sep 11 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They also pulled the TC fuse when JC drove it.What they didn't realise was that the fuse also powered the IDS suspension.So with the fuse pulled, the IDS was innactive.
richc

15th Sep 11 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
They also pulled the TC fuse when JC drove it.What they didn't realise was that the fuse also powered the IDS suspension.So with the fuse pulled, the IDS was innactive.

How did you find that out?
AshWatson

15th Sep 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21

i also heard this somewhere ^ apparently they did a similar thing with the astra VXR too, or might have been the astra some1 told me they did it to lol

either way the astra did exact same understeer burnouts as mentioned by twiggy but as said why would you have throttle wide open and about half lock steering on ? lol FWD and high power any car would do it i imagine ?
Ojc

15th Sep 11 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Astra VXR they drove had SRi suspension setup, Top Gear asked Vauxhall for an Astra VXR but Vauxhall wasn't ready and Top Gear said if you don't get us a VXR for this feature we won't be featuring the Astra VXR anytime soon so here is your chance.

Vauxhall told them that it wasn't the finished article and Top Gear said it would be mentioned but suprise suprise it wasn't.

This information above has come first hand from Stuart Harris (VXR Brand Manager)

[Edited on 15-09-2011 by Ojc]
Ben G

15th Sep 11 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cry baby
Jimbothebarbarian

15th Sep 11 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had one for just over two years. Got it from new and it's the estate version. I've got a wife two 'ickle kids and a big ass dog.

What can I tell you, well, service costs are pretty cheap my main dealer services have never been above £200 it's a vectra after all. Check it's had the hand brake and header tank recalls done. Check the alloys as they crack on the inside edge. I just fucked them off for after market ones as I've had three crack and the wheel and tyre are about £500 to replace each time.

Tax £445 tyres about £170 for 235/35/19 contisport 3's each you can get others makes for about a ton a corner. Brakes pads about £200 fitted at dealer or £30 from camskill and DIY front disks £200ish. MPG about town low 20's on a motorway run low to mid 30's kicking it's cunt in 10 or 11

You don't really hear of any issues and seem to have a pretty solid engine with very very very few known issues. The odd coilpack or set of plugs so unless you're dead unlucky they appear pretty much bombproof (watch mine blow up tomorrow!) You hear the odd clutch going due to remaps but if you drive with a bit of respect they seem quite a solid old bus.

My opinion is it's the best car I've ever had. Go for holidays with wife and kids and it munches the miles in comfort. When you giving it beans there isn't a great deal you can't live with most cars you can sack off no problem and you'd be amazed at how well they handle. Forget Mr Clarkson as mentioned the fuses had been pulled. How do I and others know? You can't fully switch off the TC and IDS system unless you pull fuses or in other words you can't smoke the tyres like he did unless you pull the fuses the car won't let you! I've done evo's, scooby's various BMW's, Audi's even a Focus RS. Mine hasn't been mapped as I'm still under Vauxhall warranty and to be honest I haven't felt the need yet but by all accounts mapped ones are even more fun.

They aint bad to run but tax insurance are a bit steep but then again 280bhp car was never going to be good. They only made 1001 cars and 134 of them are estates so they're pretty rare to boot. There is some proper good ones out there if you look..

I'll shut up now but I hope my little rabble is of some use!
SportBoy

15th Sep 11 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im attempting to ditch the corsa and corolla to buy one of these ... only thing that apeals to me atm for some reason .280 or 255 im not fussed as i plan on a remap too
dont mind what colour it is either but not really wanting a red one alltho tbh they seem the rarest.

also which type wheels tend to crack? as they seem to have 2 types, one i belive to be a factory upgrade?

[Edited on 15-09-2011 by SportBoy]
Corsa_Sport21

15th Sep 11 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Red 1 would get my vote, don't think ive ever seen a red 1 on the road.

The 19" Snowflakes are soft as shit.
Jimbothebarbarian

15th Sep 11 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both the famous snowflake and the multispoke versions in 19" variations crack. I don't know about the 18" snowflakes as nobody I know has them..
Jambo

15th Sep 11 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Red ones look fantastic.

Pics of your bus?
djgritt
Premium Member

15th Sep 11 at 22:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent.

Cheers for the ownership review!

Running costs aren't a massive problem, it won't be my daily driver as I have another car with a free fuel supply that gets used most, it'll mainly be for my weekend use etc.

Wasn't aware of the wheel issue though, thanks for that heads up!

I'm hoping to go for one at the end of the month - Insurance quotes are so far quite promising (3-figures) so best strike while the iron is hot.

I ideally want a Silver one, and I'm still not decided between a Hatch or Estate, will probably just go for whichever is the right money when I go for the purchase

However, I have also been considering a Mk4 Astra GSi - although I know it isn't really a comparison compared to the Vec VXR, which keeps drawing me back to the bus..
Jimbothebarbarian

15th Sep 11 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a bloke selling a fooking mint one on pistonheads an estate, fully loaded, quaiffe ATB diff, AP nutter bastard brakes, mapped. The full shabang. Spare wheels and orig brakes. For about 8.5k. It's a weapon.
djgritt
Premium Member

15th Sep 11 at 22:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbothebarbarian
There is a bloke selling a fooking mint one on pistonheads an estate, fully loaded, quaiffe ATB diff, AP nutter bastard brakes, mapped. The full shabang. Spare wheels and orig brakes. For about 8.5k. It's a weapon.

Seen that - it's a beast indeed!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3210943.htm

£8,750 - BARGAIN.

If it's there at the end of the month, which I doubt, then I may consider that one...
Jimbothebarbarian

15th Sep 11 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH the guy is a pure fanatic. If I was in the market for one I'd buy that in heartbeat. No matter what the cost he pays it. Fucking guys got OCD when it comes to his car
bigron1988

15th Sep 11 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had my 19inch snowflakes welded 5 times now , keep meaning to buy some more wheels lol
djgritt
Premium Member

16th Sep 11 at 08:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like I best budget for a set of spare Alloys too then...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Vectra VXR's... 22 database queries in 0.0393600 seconds