corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!! Selecting the right DSLR

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!! Selecting the right DSLR
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
   9th Oct 11 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok i thought i had set my mind with the D90 nikon fro my first proper camera, went to jessops got a load of information i wanted and went away fairly clued up (with in reason)

Now went to jessops to see the price of the one I'm after, it was a different store and when asked i just mentioned i was still struggling to decide. Now i have come away not knowing what i want now, he's said go for the d3100 as its cheaper and just as good and he (sales man) couldn't actually tell me what the extra £280 goes towards on the D90 :-/

Really like the feel and the size of the D90 but dont want to spend an extra £280 if it's not actually worth it

2 cameras in discussion are the Nikon D90 & Nikon D3100

Any ideas or suggestions from people who have one of them or tried either or?

[Edited on 09-10-2011 by SXI - Matt]
Butler

10th Oct 11 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My advice would be to never listen to the sales people in Jessops! I'd ask on photography forums for a more educated answer.
AlunJ

10th Oct 11 at 03:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't the d90 an older model? I can't be sure
AndyKent

10th Oct 11 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
My advice would be to never listen to the sales people in Jessops! I'd ask on photography forums for a more educated answer.

However, in my experience the lenses make a far bigger difference to image quality than the body generally, I'd consider the cheaper option with a better lens (spending the same overall) than the best body with a crap lens.
SXI - Matt

10th Oct 11 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The D90 is an older model but still get's raved about and still selling quite a big number of them. That's what i thought about the lens but the lens i get with the D90 is still better then with the D3100 and the add on lens they sell you get 2 is a tamron so not as good as the Nikon. Was just thinking maybe get the best body i can and either way I would buy the best lens i could justify when it comes to getting more.

Any one no any good camera forums?
AndyKent

10th Oct 11 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TalkPhotography

TBH don't buy from Jessops, decide which body you want then go for the cheapest on camerapricebuster.co.uk
andy1868

10th Oct 11 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the D90 will feature a built in auto focus motor which means you can use any autofocus lens made by nikon (and probably alot of others too) the D3100 doesn't have this feature which means you can only use the latest AF-G series of lenses
John

10th Oct 11 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a 550 or 600D instead.
Marc

10th Oct 11 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a D3100 recently.
loo_goblin

10th Oct 11 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nikon D5100 same price as D90, I am in the same dilemma as well. I am very much looking at the nikon as I like the continuous shooting and high point auto focus for sports photography.
SXI - Matt

10th Oct 11 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nikon is 100% brand choice for me love the feel and built of them purely from holding the 2 I thought the canon felt 'cheap' very toyish.

Now this is what annoyed me when i went jessops on Sunday i was adamant they had built in focus which the D3100 doesn't so as you say have to buy more expensive lenses yet they were telling me it doesn't. However i new it did, may just go back to the original store i went to which was in Leicester as they seemed to no what they were on about there.

I'm still 99% sure i'll get the D90
loo_goblin

10th Oct 11 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

D90 is what I am trying to get. They don't lose much value second hand unfortunately.
SXI - Matt

11th Oct 11 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i did consider 2nd hand but think I'd prefer to buy new as i no its not been damaged or faulty, plus jessops do i cover were you pay upfront and should you drop it or break it they'll either fix it or replace it
andy1868

11th Oct 11 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think Nikon offer 2 year warranties anyway matt, as long as you register them with Nikon themselves. they did with my D7000 anyway

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!! Selecting the right DSLR 23 database queries in 0.0095279 seconds