corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Getting rid of a car mid insurance policy?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Getting rid of a car mid insurance policy?
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Oct 11 at 17:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This possibly varies from insurer to insurer, and I'm struggling to find information out from the Tesco website.

If you were to sell your car say... 9 months into a 12month policy, can you simply cancel the policy and not pay the remaining three months?

Obviously the usual procedure is to sell your car, then buy a new one and update your policy whilst your insurance provider reviews the remaining repayments to compensate. If the existing insurer were quoting something extortionate, is the customer free to cancel and find a new policy elsewhere?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
sand-eel

17th Oct 11 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can cancel any insurance policy anytime, they will prob charge you a £20-30 odd adim fee though.
sand-eel

17th Oct 11 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

admin*
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

17th Oct 11 at 17:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As you say, depends on the insurer.

I cancelled a policy 6 months in and got the remainder of the current month refunded whereas my Dad cancelled a policy a few years back and they tried to charge a £360 fee although he just cancelled the direct debit and ignored all the demand letters, which eventually stopped after them dropping the fee down incrementaly to £90.
Pop

17th Oct 11 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ring them up and they will be able to tell you exactly what you need to know.
GTM

17th Oct 11 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a game the other day, been given a company car so put my mondeo up for sale. Called the insurance and they said there is a £30 cancellation fee but even with that taken out we owe you £35! Bonus wasnt expecting any money but was ready for a charge.
Woman ran through my details and my address was wrong, i live at 43 but she had 47 on file. I checked and everything they have ever sent me including e-mails have had the address 43 on yet they said well thats a fault at my end!! Then i was informed id have to pay £30 to change my address and then and additional £30 to cancel again, so they wanted £90!
So id gone from been owed £35 to owing £90 to them. Argued the toss and in the end after what seemed like forever they agreed to just give me the £35 and drop the fees. Fucking idiots.

[Edited on 17-10-2011 by GTM]
deano87

17th Oct 11 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as you haven't claimed I'd have thought you could cancel it, but as said might involve an Admin fee.

You will lose the NCB you have built up though.
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Oct 11 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87

You will lose the NCB you have built up though.

Ah that is a good point!

Even with 7 years NCB, the eighth is still worth quite a bit come renewal time!!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Getting rid of a car mid insurance policy? 23 database queries in 0.3941901 seconds