corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Mortgage - business from home

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mortgage - business from home
Rob B

User status: Offline
19th Oct 11 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys,

Just a quick question as i can't find much information about it.

I technically run my business from home although we have a workshop too but the business is registered at my current home address and it will stay that way.

Is there anything i can get an improvement on due to this?

Gary
Premium Member

19th Oct 11 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your business goes tits up youll have bailffs knocking on your house door.

Got a feeling you should be paying business rates too. May be wrong though
RichR
Premium Member

19th Oct 11 at 15:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't answer the question except to say that when my hosue was valued for my re-mortgage last year, there was a section specifically asking the valuer if any business appeared to be being run from the property
Sam
Premium Member

20th Oct 11 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your home address is only used purely for business correspondence (i.e. bank statements, HMRC paperwork, etc.) then no it won't affect your mortgage (although it's worth asking the lender to cover your ass).

You only have to pay business rates if you are using one or more rooms in your home solely for the use of your business. Sitting on your sofa in your living room doing paperwork occasionally does not constitute business use as you obviously use the living room for personal use too.

[Edited on 20-10-2011 by Sam]
Fad

21st Oct 11 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Set up your registered adress with your accountant as someone mentioned you dont need people comming to your house demanding all sorts.

Also as Sam says you need to notify yoour local authority as you will be liable for business rates. Also depending on the nature of the business your neighbours can have the opprtunity to object. E.g when you are a trader and need trade plates etc the DVLA/local authority will come visit your home/premisis to check whether you have to capacity to do what you intend.
John

21st Oct 11 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My deeds say I can't run a business from home.
Fad

21st Oct 11 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Land and Property Law in England & Wales varies to that in Scotland.
baza31

9th Nov 11 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
If your business goes tits up youll have bailffs knocking on your house door.

Got a feeling you should be paying business rates too. May be wrong though

True. And true but they will come even if he worked away from home unless he his firm is ltd which he could pay himself from company rent I suppose
spencer88

11th Nov 11 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
If your home address is only used purely for business correspondence (i.e. bank statements, HMRC paperwork, etc.) then no it won't affect your mortgage (although it's worth asking the lender to cover your ass).

You only have to pay business rates if you are using one or more rooms in your home solely for the use of your business. Sitting on your sofa in your living room doing paperwork occasionally does not constitute business use as you obviously use the living room for personal use too.

[Edited on 20-10-2011 by Sam]

Thought this depends on how often you use it for work?

In that if you work 20 hours a week, and those 20 hours are spent in that same room it counts?

I know the 'de minimus' rule of that if you use it less than you do for work elsewhere, then it does not count.

New Poll