corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Boost bug?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Boost bug?
Ash_EP3

User status: Offline
22nd Oct 11 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone else have/get this?

I've never owned or driven one but for some reason I've got the bug and quite bad too!

I'm selling the ep3 next year and looking to either go the sensible route (start saving like mad for a house etc) or the stupid route (for 1 year only)!

Would prefer RWD and boost which either means a new sports car or old jap sports car!? Or perhaps it's better to have more refinement and buy a turbo hot-hatch for 6-8k...

Been looking @
- Megane 225
- Mazda 3 MPS
- Skyline R34/R33 GTS (can't afford GTR )
- Evo 6 (for some reason have a really big soft spot for these now!? )

Something like the Evo 6 would be nice and could probably pick up a nice one for 5-6k but I'm fully aware of the horrendous running costs!

Help!
Eck
Premium Member

22nd Oct 11 at 00:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jackson Racing...
AK

22nd Oct 11 at 05:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd avoid a 33 GTSt unless it had a fair bit of proven work. They just arent that entertaining as standard.

R34 GTT looks loads better but still suffers from the skinny bum

For the price of those above you could prob get an R32 GTR. They are getting on a bit now but there are still nice ones out there. 5k would get you a tatty one, 10k a really nice one with prob lots of power (500bhp+)

EVO - nice cars, wont cost anymore to run compared to the Skylines really. Service every 3k or so just to be anal.

What about S14s? Or the silvia versions? MkIV supra (you need a hairy chest for them).

I'd 100% recommend a Supra (RZ/GZ) over a R33 GTSt - 10x the car and can still look decent if it doesnt have any daft bodykits etc.

4k for R32 GTR - http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/156796-1993-r32-gtr-metallic-pearl-blue-4k.html

9k for amazing spec for the money R32 GTR 500+bhp - http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/155796-1994-high-spec-r32-gtr-rb-motorsport-built-os-giken-garrett-2860s-etc.html

5k for a supra! Didnt think they were that cheap! http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3352368.htm

9.5k http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3333300.htm
thegsi

22nd Oct 11 at 07:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get yourself a S14a. You'll pick up a good example for £4000. Easily tunable, RWD, sweet looks, no gay Civic.
Job done
philip2

22nd Oct 11 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id be biased and say evo 6, avoid the 7s or the tme as even standard engines have been known to throw rods out on them.

how many miles do you do? ive currently clocked up nearly 1500 in 3 weeks in my 6.....so if imagine £50 gets you 140miles and £70 for oil and filter every 6weeks or so if continue to use as the daily.

may sound daft but what about mr2 turbo...getting abit older skool or maybe a gt4, few mates have them and go very well tbf and dont see too many about
Stu

22nd Oct 11 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by thegsi
Get yourself a S14a. You'll pick up a good example for £4000. Easily tunable, RWD, sweet looks, no gay Civic.
Job done

Amen or even an S15
AK

22nd Oct 11 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RX7?
Ash_EP3

22nd Oct 11 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
I'd avoid a 33 GTSt unless it had a fair bit of proven work. They just arent that entertaining as standard.

R34 GTT looks loads better but still suffers from the skinny bum

For the price of those above you could prob get an R32 GTR. They are getting on a bit now but there are still nice ones out there. 5k would get you a tatty one, 10k a really nice one with prob lots of power (500bhp+)

EVO - nice cars, wont cost anymore to run compared to the Skylines really. Service every 3k or so just to be anal.

What about S14s? Or the silvia versions? MkIV supra (you need a hairy chest for them).

I'd 100% recommend a Supra (RZ/GZ) over a R33 GTSt - 10x the car and can still look decent if it doesnt have any daft bodykits etc.

4k for R32 GTR - http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/156796-1993-r32-gtr-metallic-pearl-blue-4k.html

9k for amazing spec for the money R32 GTR 500+bhp - http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/155796-1994-high-spec-r32-gtr-rb-motorsport-built-os-giken-garrett-2860s-etc.html

5k for a supra! Didnt think they were that cheap! http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3352368.htm

9.5k http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3333300.htm

That last Supra you posted actually belongs to a mate of mine which I've had the pleasure of being a passenger and doing some naughty speeds against it on a private road

I do love Supras.. but for a nice manual you are still looking @ 10k onwards...

Hmmm not a big fan of the R32's... I know what you're saying about the GTS's though they would need to be nearish the 300bhp mark for me to be interested!

S14's... there's quite a few of them about near me... not a fan of the looks (rear) however a quick search on ph.... http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3351526.htm

S15's - they seem to still be going for silly monies!

Evo 6 - hmmm seem to have developed a really big soft spot for these recently

Something like this would be ideal....
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3352357.htm

Biggest thing that worries me in regards to the Evo's are the running costs... I get my civic serviced by a mate of mine who doesn't charge me labour but still I can't imagine the parts will be cheap

Also I read somewhere that they average 18mpg or about 8mpg if you rag it!

+ Tyres / Brakes etc... can see this costing me a fortune!

quote:
Originally posted by philip2
id be biased and say evo 6, avoid the 7s or the tme as even standard engines have been known to throw rods out on them.

how many miles do you do? ive currently clocked up nearly 1500 in 3 weeks in my 6.....so if imagine £50 gets you 140miles and £70 for oil and filter every 6weeks or so if continue to use as the daily.

may sound daft but what about mr2 turbo...getting abit older skool or maybe a gt4, few mates have them and go very well tbf and dont see too many about

Not a fan of the Evo 7!

Mileage... well probably around 200 miles a week at the moment... I'm going through at least a full tank a week in the ep3...

Oil and filter done every 6 weeks!?

Choices... choices...
Ash_EP3

22nd Oct 11 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or this...
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3323314.htm

Just realised the one I posted previously is an Evo 5
AK

22nd Oct 11 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not every 6 weeks BUT 3-4000 miles

We used to change the oil over 3k in our Impreza, every 6k in GTSt, Every 6k in the Supra. Current GTR and Impreza prob every 100miles :spew:
Ash_EP3

22nd Oct 11 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
not every 6 weeks BUT 3-4000 miles

We used to change the oil over 3k in our Impreza, every 6k in GTSt, Every 6k in the Supra. Current GTR and Impreza prob every 100miles :spew:

Yea Civic has a service every 6k for oil and filter as it just churns through the stuff!

Why do Evo's need to be serviced so regularly? Is it just the sheer performance that means the engine needs a lot of TLC?

What do they commonly require for these services?
AK

22nd Oct 11 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

higher temps, higher loading etc... more to do with the cost if it does go wrong. I.e prevention is better than cure.

I've never had an EVO but on the GTR and Impreza (when road used)

Oil every 3-4000, filter too
Plugs when needed or once a year
Diffs, transfer box and gearbox fluids yearly

Clutches, brakes, tyres etc are like any car - be sensible and they wont need replaced every 6 months Drive like Colin McRae and they will
adiohead

22nd Oct 11 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Standard (if you can find one) r32 gtr would be my choice, in that sexy grey colour

Or standard evo 6

If you want a fwd hatch then I'd get a mk1 focus rs in imperial/racing blue.

harrisp

22nd Oct 11 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
more to do with the cost if it does go wrong. .

Thats exactly what scares me off evos

adiohead

22nd Oct 11 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh, I struggle to run my LCR sometimes. I couldn't imagine running an Evo or Scooby when the thing needs work. I'd have to find a decent job at LG in Slough first
harrisp

22nd Oct 11 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
Tbh, I struggle to run my LCR sometimes. I couldn't imagine running an Evo or Scooby when the thing needs work. I'd have to find a decent job at LG in Slough first

Or live with your parents
donkeykong

22nd Oct 11 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for how cheap evo's are these days, parts are very cheap and most upgrades are only a few quid more.
scoob
Premium Member

22nd Oct 11 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
RX7?

it will break, but my god look at the arse fucking fantastic.

donkeykong

22nd Oct 11 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice, but would be better de-spoilered! imo
Rob R

22nd Oct 11 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be a man, and cam up your EP3
AK

22nd Oct 11 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by donkeykong
for how cheap evo's are these days, parts are very cheap and most upgrades are only a few quid more.

Care to give a bit of reasoning

parts are cheap compared to what? Parts for a Ferrari/Porsche?

EVO's are now cheap because less people can afford to run them... there are more for sale and less buying - prices drop.

I do agree in some respect about parts prices, they arent cheap BUT they arent mega expensive. If the engine goes just drop another in (1k) - you dont HAVE to rebuild it (5k+)

Clutches - 400+ fitting for uprated, 200 for run of the mill organic

Brakes - if you use pattern parts - pretty normal. Only gets expensive when you go for the brands.

I think thats where the myth that EVOs/Imprezas/Skylines cost the earth to run/fix. There are so many expensive brands out there (blitz, HKS, Tomei, Trust, OS Giken etc etc) that folk 'want' but dont really NEED. If the car is a road car the OE parts would do
BarnshaW

22nd Oct 11 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
quote:
Originally posted by adiohead

Or live with your parents

or do both
philip2

22nd Oct 11 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i said 6weeks as im doing nearly 500 miles a week so obv in 6weeks id of covered about 3k, ive done about 10k miles in 5months in my 6, most lads do that in 2 years as dont use them as daily drivers.

parts arent mega cheap tbh, but arent dear either. i bought a pair of ds2500 pads last week after ripping inside driver pad off and to me there a 'cheap' pad at £190, if i didnt need the car next day id of got some carbotech xp8s, but iirc are nearer the 280+mark.

if went for an evo, id definately get a paddle clutch fitted, a stock clutch wont last long, my 6paddles nearing its ends....pedals high, even though not slipping. ill be going for a twin plate next time around which is nearly £1100 + fitting. a single plate is around £600.

have a look on the mlr if fancy an evo, some nice cars for sale at the moment and tbh im impressed with how many parts are always up for sale, deals traders are doing etc.
3CorsaMeal

22nd Oct 11 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by thegsi
Job done

is that still the price of them

i was looking at them about 5yrs ago and for £4-5k you could an S14a touring with around 40,000miles on the clock
AK

22nd Oct 11 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no you NEED a twin plate or even single plate 6 puk clutch?

(i dont know the car spec so genuine question)

Brakes - We moved to CarboTech pads as they were now cheaper than Ferrodo

DS2500 are still pretty excessive for pure road use though and you can get decent pads (for road use) at well under half their price.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Boost bug? 22 database queries in 0.0164220 seconds