corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » retrieving 3rd party ins details?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author retrieving 3rd party ins details?
Colin

User status: Offline
27th Oct 11 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate had his car crashed into at a junction (a car pulled out in front of him) & the driver drove off.

He had a witness that was working in a house over the road.

He phoned the police, police came to his house took a statement and also got one from the witness.

They phoned back last night to tell him they had been to the other drivers house to find an 81yr old man, who is partially blind and partially deaf, they said they had trouble making any sense out of him but when questioned about the duck tape holding his bumper onto his car he admitted liability.

They have charged him for driving without due care and attention and leaving the scene and say he'll have his license revoked.

As for insurance the police told me mate to phone his insurance and give them the crime reference number.

He's not wanting to do this because the damage is around £400 to fix, but increase in insurance for having had an accident will amount to more over the 5yrs its down on his record.

Is there any way he can get the old boys ins details so he can just deal with them without contacting his own ins company? Ive done it before when some stupid woman talking on her phone rear ended me and it didnt go on my record.
adiohead

27th Oct 11 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask the old man
Liam-Wilko

27th Oct 11 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ask the police for the old mans phone number not sure if they will give youit or if you ask the police they may giive you the name of his insurance
Tomnova16
Premium Member

27th Oct 11 at 11:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was hit and the bell end drove off
gave the police his reg and they contacted the guys insurance company
mine didnt need to get involved

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
Colin

27th Oct 11 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's only got the old mans reg plate, the police will only give a crime reference no, point blank refused to give out his details including ins details.

Told him he has to contact his insurance co and give them the crime reference number, at which point he said 'looks like i'll be paying it myself then' & the cop said sorry thats the best I can do.

Is there any way he can got the ins details?

[Edited on 27-10-2011 by Colin]
Neo

27th Oct 11 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Long shot, but I'd call around the big 5 or 6 insurers i.e.

Direct Line
Elephant/Admiral
AA
Aviva
etc

And explain the situation and see if you can get anywhere
am4nf

27th Oct 11 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His insurance company will contact the old guys insurance company, wont go down as a claim on his own insurance though
John

27th Oct 11 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does if you claim via your insurance, which you would be doing.
am4nf

27th Oct 11 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your insurance company provide you with legal aid do they not? they will contact the old mans insurance and his insurance company will pay

My gf's car got crashed into by a drunk driver it was her insurance we phoned, they contacted the womans insurance using the reg we gave them, it got wrote off and payed out from the drunks insurance...... no claim on the gfs....
Ian
Site Administrator

27th Oct 11 at 23:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need his details, I wouldn't even consider informing your own insurers.

You have s154 of the Road Traffic Act which obligates the person against who you are making a claim to give you the particulars.

The Police are basically denying you this right by their suggestion that the insurer should handle it.

quote:
Duty to give information as to insurance or security where claim made.

(1) A person against whom a claim is made in [against] must, on demand by or on behalf of the person making the claim
That's you.

quote:
(ii) ... give the following particulars, that is to say, the registration mark or other identifying particulars of the vehicle concerned, the number or other identifying particulars of the insurance policy issued in respect of the vehicle, the name of the insurer and the period of the insurance cover.

There's a bit more to that section which you should also read but that's what I would be basing my request on.

Note that you are the person making the claim, you are not in any way legally required to appoint an insurer to deal on your behalf, same as if you were walking along the pavement and someone hit you, you make a claim against the person at fault. The fact you are insured yourself is not pertinent to this incident.

[Edited on 27-10-2011 by Ian]
sand-eel

27th Oct 11 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shit, some woman damaged my bumper not long ago someone got her reg number and she gave a fake phone number, luckely she never knew the other person got her reg number.
Phoned my insurance as there is NO WAY of getting their details (tried the cops), so after my car is fixed, I need to pay my excess then my insurance gets my excess back off the third party insurance.

EDIT - I wasn't there at the time...a note was left.

[Edited on 27-10-2011 by sand-eel]
sand-eel

27th Oct 11 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wait a minute the above says the guilty driver needs to give details...but if they didn't give correct ones, you have no hope.
Unless you did what I did with just the reg number.
Not sure if I have to put this down on my insurance as a non-fault claim as it will put my insurance up
am4nf

28th Oct 11 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck using your own insurance, if you have their reg that should be enough to get them to pay
sand-eel

28th Oct 11 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem is a reg plate isn't enough...as you can't get their details as the cops won't let you but insurance companies are allowed to get the details.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Oct 11 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The insurance company have no more legal rights than you as an individual, this is Police procedure to reduce complications like you going round there with sticks, it has no basis in law.
sand-eel

28th Oct 11 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you ask the DVLA direct?
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Oct 11 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah V888 although I think it costs money, the Police option is cheaper.
shaunmods
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by am4nf
His insurance company will contact the old guys insurance company, wont go down as a claim on his own insurance though

I've done it this way twice and never had it go down against me either.
_Allan_

28th Oct 11 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will go down against you as non fault claim. You will still be declaring it for the next 5 years and you'll probably be classed as an increased risk regardless of fault. Your premium will still go up, generally only if you stay with the same company.
If you shop around you might be able to negate the effect.

[Edited on 28-10-2011 by _Allan_]
John

28th Oct 11 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure how people are finding out it doesn't go down against them. I bet it's not from asking the insurance company.
LeeM

28th Oct 11 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can get the details if you like. know lots of people in insurance industry who can check.
you could try an accident management company, AI, Helphire, drive assist. they'd happily take on the claim and deal with it for you so you dont have to get too involved and your insurance will be none the wiser
Phil W

28th Oct 11 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you use Help Hire or do you need to know the other parties insurance company for that?
MarkM

28th Oct 11 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Lee said. You need someone to do a MID check on his reg.
am4nf

30th Oct 11 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I'm not sure how people are finding out it doesn't go down against them. I bet it's not from asking the insurance company.

Because its the other persons insurance that is paying out....
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Oct 11 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thread makes me

If an insurance company were not interested in your claim history they wouldn't ask you. They ask you to establish your risk and in many cases, load the premium.

It CAN and DOES affect you, regardless if you notice a difference or not, you won't know the difference because they WILL NOT tell you the effect it has had. Even if it stays the same, this could have been a reduction which you don't get to know about because they give with the NCB/ownership term/vehicle value hand and take back with the history hand.

Every year you have a car your risk decreases, ever year your car is worth less to replace, ever year you gain additional driving experience, it shouldn't stay the same. Even one company doesn't load, the next might and the likelihood of being bummed for no reason is HIGH.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » retrieving 3rd party ins details? 23 database queries in 0.0257609 seconds