corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Need some help with a mini supercharger

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Need some help with a mini supercharger
N90ATH

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 11 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok just looking at a mini supercharger (black Rota what ever that is)

Confused bout all the holes lol

I'm guessing the one with the oval shape metal pipe goes on to the inlet manifold
The one below that on the end is for the water pump
And the large one on the bottom goes ????
As for the pulley does it run off the crank pulley?

Anyone shed some light as I know there are many mini owners here

Also if u fitted a supercharger to a n/a engine could u get away with a piggy back ecu
Or would u need to replace the original???

Cheers guys
LeeM

2nd Nov 11 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You use a longer aux belt I think. Fuelling is increased across the range so I think you can get away with a remap or piggyback but it could be seen as a bodge
N90ATH

2nd Nov 11 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm klkl so new ecu would be ideal. what about contolling boost ??

and anyone shed some light on what holes for what on mini suprcharger
LeeM

2nd Nov 11 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think boost level is set by the size of the pulley, they dont have a wastegate
N90ATH

2nd Nov 11 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sweeet cheers fella so could turn out a simple lil conversion then
Rob E

2nd Nov 11 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive recently converted my car to run a mini supercharger, this is how I did it -

The left hand side is the inlet tract, you need to move your throttle body to before the supercharger otherwise it is a pig to drive. The pipe coming out of the inlet tract is for the bypass valve. You MUST have a bypass in it to allow the engine to cruise properly, otherwise you will suffer with compressor surge. (it performs a similar function to a dump valve on a turbo).

This is the other side of the outlet tract, you hook this up to your inlet manifold. The hole in the outlet tract is where the BMW mini bypass valve connects to via the three threaded holes.

You dont need to bother with the pump on the back of the supercharger, unbolt it and make a cover out of some steel to stop foreign bodies entering the moving parts (you will see what I mean when you remove it)

As Lee stated above, the boost level is set by the size of your pulleys. Namely your crank pulley and the nose pulley on the supercharger. You will need to find out the diameter of the crank pulley and the diameter of the nose pulley to work out how fast you will be spinning up the charger. I know that my car has a stock crank pulley which is 130mm and a stock nose pulley on the supercharger which is 65.5mm. With these sizes, I am spinning the supercharger at 14,290 rpm at 7200 rpm (my redline). To Calculate this you use the following equation -

Blower RPM = engine RPM * (crank pulley size / nose pulley size)

You then need to check this against Eaton's recommended RPM limit for the supercharger. Going above this limit is known as "overspinning" the supercharger and once you are above this RPM range, you are going to start losing blower efficiency and hence less power EDIT: Eaton's recommended limit for the mini charger which is essentially a mp45 is 16,000 rpm.

Other things you also need to take into consideration are how are you going to retard the engine's timing when you are on boost? and how are you going to go about supplying enough fuel to cope with the boost?

Its a lot of questions, but if you can do it then get going! It was the best decision I made supercharging my car

[Edited on 02-11-2011 by Rob E]
N90ATH

2nd Nov 11 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers rob that has answered all my questions lol any pics of the car ???
Rob E

2nd Nov 11 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No worries mate, if you need any more help with anything drop me a pm

This is the only picture I have of the engine at the moment. It was 99% complete here

and it lives under the bonnet of my Roadster

N90ATH

2nd Nov 11 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers fella and can I ask were u got those adapters from as would be ideal for me lol
JM_16v

3rd Nov 11 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my friend has supercharged loads of mx5 getting average 220bhp out of them standard block there the best to drive

hes also going a monster mx5 build aiming for 350-400bhp

Nath if you need a mapper contact

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Need some help with a mini supercharger 22 database queries in 0.0112460 seconds